padskydive

Right deccison??

I'm getting different views from people (both Skydivers and Instructors)!!! [:/]

I recently downsized from Silhoutte 170 to Stiletto 150 and I weigh approx 205lbs exit weight.
I have done 100 jumps with Silhoutte and landing it was fine but I found that it just sank while riding in the air (no matter if I used brakes / back risers).
I have found that riding Stiletto stays afloat much better and lading much easier :)
Looking at the PD website with wing loading chart

Cancopy size Int Adv Exp Max
Silhoutte 170 145 170 195.5 221
Stiletto 150 N/R 180 210 255

My deccison was that I wanted to get back to the DZ from deep spots, being able to stay in the air longer if I wanted to as well as start learing ellipical without loading it too much.

Your views much appreicated.

Look, I do not know you, so my comments are probably un-informed, but I think a "semi" elliptical midrange 9-cell like the Safire 2 might have been better for you. I assume from your post that you fly conservatively, so why buy a canopy like the Stiletto if you dont do high performance maneuvers? Your problem is that IF you make a mistake at landing or have a bad body position at opening the reaction from the Stiletto will be much more unforegiving - why take the risk? You were looking for better glide then the Silhouette - why didn't you try out the Sabre 2 or Safire first? They both would probably give you exactly what you were looking for at much less risk..... just my 2 Cents
Anyway, good luck and stay save.
---------------------------------------------------------
When people look like ants - pull. When ants look like people - pray.

My deccison was that I wanted to get back to the DZ from deep spots, being able to stay in the air longer if I wanted to as well as start learing ellipical without loading it too much.

You can get back to the DZ from most bad spots on nearly any canopy loaded at 1.2 (like you loaded your Silhouette). It's a matter of knowing how to fly the canopy for maximum glide.

How does going from a semi-elliptical shape at 1.2 (you under the Silhouette) to a fully elliptical at 1.36 (you under the Stiletto) keep you up in the air longer?

1.36 is a pretty hefty wingloading for 160 jumps. 1.36 on a Stiletto at 160 jumps... well, I hope you know how to do (and practice often) flat turns and flare turns... either that or I hope you never screw up, no one ever cuts you off or you don't find yourself having to land in someone's backyard someday soon...

An all zp, semi-elliptical nine cell (Sabre2, Safire2, Pilot) 170 would give you everything you're looking for without the added risks of the Stiletto or the higher wingloading.

How is your body position during deployment? Can you handle the line twists that you are going to encounter? Keep up on your emergency procedures. You may need them sooner than you think. I agree with both the other posts. A Sabre 2 would have been a better choice. Or don't leave the plane on a long spot. Make the pilot go around. It's your ass out there not his.
Dom

Lisa as usual I am right behind you. This is a bad idea for someone with 160 jumps unless he is just the most amazingly aware and natural canopy poilot out there.
From his comments I think that he has not been able to get the maximum preformance out of his current canopy. It seems that with the 170 he should be fine. A 9 cell say sabre2 or safire or piolot like Lisa said will do everything that you are asking. Personally I think that you should be at closer to a 190 for your size and jump numbers.
The issues of Stilletto's line twist spinners, getting cut off on landing or needing to put it down tight are a lot to sacrifice just to get back from a bad spot. Which brings me to the last point, why not just wait for a better spot?
Chris

Pete
I jumped a Stiletto 150 and I know why you like it.B|
So all I can say is be careful:)bigger parachute yesterday.:(
Maybe you can find a canopy that lands as nice and
is a little safer all around. You may be able to trade with someone. You should have a canopy that will fit your everyday jumping needs and that may not be it!
sorry man...mike

-----------------------------------
Mike Wheadon B-3715,HEMP#1
Higher Expectations for Modern Parachutists.

Ummm.. Interesting....

I'll try to clear couple of things here...
I'll be trying to swoop, etc... but with right training in the future but not right now!!!

The Idea behind of getting ellipical is that I learn how it behaves high up in the sky, when I am about to land.. Take it easy in half(ish) brakes so that if someone gets into my way that I can do flat turn without having to do a "dive turns".

Landing with the stiletto has never been better in my life.... In low winds, I was fairly high up, I pulled the front risers to kill some Alti and then let it go and I surfed the turf for about 40 yards and landed SPOT on the middle of the peas!! WHOOO!!!
Yet I will not do Hook Turns!!! Too Scary for me at the moment as I have tried it high up - doing that it burned up 200+ feet! Yikes!

For me - I love my stiletto - I know I might have got an ellipical bit too soon, but I am gonna ride it and learn it for the next 500 jumps or so before I am ever gonna think about down sizing it!!

It's FUN FUN but RESPECT it and take one step at a time slowly....

I'll let you know how I get on with it.

Blue Skies
Safe landings

It's FUN FUN but RESPECT it and take one step at a time slowly....

A canopy that must be flown conservatively for you to feel safe under it is too small/aggressive for your current ability.

Can you put that Stiletto in a backyard downwind at sunset?