Kuper

looking for stills camera with remote option, but not DSLR. is there any?

hi, i'm looking for a digital stills camera, with high resolution (8 MP is great;)), with an option for remote control cable - but not one of those huge new DSLRs...

do you know anything like that or am i asking too much?

thanx a lot and blue sky!
Ori.
http://www.orikuper.printroom.com

hi, i'm looking for a digital stills camera, with high resolution (8 MP is great;)), with an option for remote control cable - but not one of those huge new DSLRs...

do you know anything like that or am i asking too much?

thanx a lot and blue sky!
Ori.

I don't but I would recommend checking out www.Steves-digicams.com and find if there are any.
I have seen people jump Minolta Dimage 7i digital cameras
http://www.steves-digicams.com/2002_reviews/dimage7i.html

One recommendation for you though, with 156 jumps, use it on the ground for a while untill you have 200 or 300 or so jumps :P

Iwan

Well, they are not 8MP, but the Sony DSC-V1 has a remote port, and the older Olympus E20 (both 5MP)do too... they have their limitations though...

Not sure about anything else...

J
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. - Edmund Burke

:)the Sony DSC-V1... cost...approx.. 450 $
been using it for two seasons,,,:)It is NOT huge... and can be operated with a wired remote...which I found at sonystyle.com.. ( approx 60 dollars)
Attached are some sample pictures... the last one shows the camera,,, mounted to my helmet..B|

that's ok - i'm gonna wait till having at least 200 jumps. it's never too good to begin, but i just can't wait and i'm kind of trying to learn as much as i can from photographers around:)
well - thanks for the answers.
which of all those cameras you guys mentioned here doesn't need a 'gizmo' and can naturally connect to a remote cable?

that's ok - i'm gonna wait till having at least 200 jumps. it's never too good to begin, but i just can't wait and i'm kind of trying to learn as much as i can from photographers around:)

If you're planning on jumping the cameras, it might actually be a good idea to buy them now, and start using it.. it gets you familiar with the camera, and that's one more thing off your mind when you eventually start jumping it.. :P

anyone tried the nikon coolpix 5400 or 5700?

Nope. :P However, want to chime in here and say WOW!! to your latest Centerfold (in Skydiving Magazine)! Awesome photograph, Mike! :)
Lori

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

I just bought a second hand Konica Minolta DiMage A2. 8 Megapixel, wired remote support, 28-200mm (35mm equivalent) with option of a 0.8 converter if you want to go wider and, from what I can tell, a pretty fast AF and cycle time for it's class.

D20 it isn't - but I can't afford one of them just yet.

Hopefully I'll get to jump it this weekend.

Ivan

what?!:o
but i search for it on dpreview.com, and it said there isn't remote for A2 nor A1...
that's weird (and wired also...):|

waiting to hear how it is in the air...

According to DPReview, there is in fact a remote available for it.. at least they put a remote port on the camera, so there should be one :P

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/konicaminoltaa2/page4.asp It's in the connections section.

I have seen other people use the Minolta series cameras in the air, and they would get about 16-24 freefall shots.. pm Mathias on here, he used to have and jump a Minolta camera like this one.

Iwan

thanks Iwan,
that's funny you know... in the Specifications page of that camera it was written that there isn't Remote Control connection, but on the review of it (where you directed me) there is.
now i know i can't lean anymore on that general specifications pages[:/]
(i sent them my feedback about that)

Ori.

would be very interested to know how many shots you are able to take on a jump. 24 possible?

Due to bad weather I have only done one jump with it so far. A tandem from 10 grand. Only took about 8 shots but I wasn't going for speed. I tried it with everything on auto.

I have done some testing on the ground. I fired off one shot a second for 60 seconds. At first it kept up pretty well. At about 8 seconds it missed one. Then another one after maybe 4 seconds. Then the gaps started getting longer. After pressing the button 60 times I ended up with 49 shots. That was at maximum image size, Standard quality (focus, shutter, aperture all set to manual). The same test with quality set to Fine came out with 32 shots and Extra Fine produced 18 shots. Then my battery ran out so more testing will have to wait.

I did discover that the remote release connector is not very secure. Unfortunately, I discovered that on jump run - which provided some entertainment as I frantically try to plug it back in wearing winter gloves. I have since put together a locking system with some gaffer tap and some velcro. I guess it wasn't a proper skydiving camera until it got some gaffer tape on it somewhere.

Ivan

Does anyone know any camera's that would be perfect for camera but does not have a remote option. Ie great price, great res, small/compact but does not have remote option. I would like to experiment to see how hard it would be to add this option on these cameras, but if the need is not there then I will go back in my box.

It's not that hard. Often the trigger button on the camera essentially just completes a circuit. You ought to be able to just open up the camera and simply connect wires to that circuit, leading them to a female socket you implant in the shell.

Into that socket you plug a bite switch (or whatever). The external switch then simply completes the circuit and the camera never even knows the factory button wasn't the thing to do it.

I've seen it done twice. Once by someone who screwed half the 'higher end' features on the camera by electrocuting himself on the capacitor while in the camera. The other time it worked absolutely perfectly and the camera looked like it rolled out the factory with the feature.

Given that I know both the people who attempted the conversions, I would put a lot of money on the fact that their success/failure was based almost wholly on their respective skills with electronics.