martz

Canon EOS Rebel lens

I bought a canon EOS rebel body and not sure what kind of lens to order.

I searched in the previous post but did
I have a Kenko .42 pon my Pc101 and understand I need a 24mm for my still.

But can I use a 18-55 mm or I need to buy a fixed 24mm ??
what's the f/2.8 ?? what I need ??
I
I appreciate model number ..

Thanks a lot
===============================
Ourson # 5
impatient de sauter # 1

A 24 is unlikely to be wide enough due to the 1.6x field of view factor.

A 24 on a 300D has the same fov as a 24 x 1.6 = 38 on a full frame 35 camera.

If you want the same fov as a 24mm on film, you need a 15mm. A rectilinear 15 will be $$$.

----------------------------------
www.jumpelvis.com

Hi,

The 18-55mm lens will work just fine.

Fixed lenses (i.e. 24mm or 28mm) generally are higher quality and generally will focus faster on auto-focus and generally are smaller and lighter. For those reasons, most people that are serious about freefall photography will use a fixed lens rather than a zoom. If you are going to use the zoom, find out where it matches up with your video, and tape it in place.

A 24mm fixed lens will match up pretty well with a .42 video lens. The 28mm also works fine, and is much less expensive.

I use a Canon EF 28mm. It was about $300-350 CDN and the pictures come out looking excellent (tandems mostly). I use a Sony .6 video lens and the two match up pretty well.

Canuck

I notice your jumpnumbers.. and (ha ha.. ) there's nothing wrong with that.. but I assume you are starting off, or early on in flying camera.

I've been flying with a Kenko .5 and a Canon EF 28mm lens on my Rebel 2000 and it worked great, and it still does.
The reason I mentioned your numbers is that with a slightly less wide lens, you can stay further back a bit, and still get the frame filled with your subject, then as you get better and more comfortable, you can start with a slightly wider lens and move in closer.

Just a hint..

Iwan

Thanks for the input ... I only have 350 jumps but I started jumping camera ... too soon ... :) I did about 250 jumps (about 140 tandem). Now the DZO want me to get still ...

that the reason why I need a still :0

thanks again
===============================
Ourson # 5
impatient de sauter # 1

Hmmmm.. 70 jumps a year and jumping tandemvideo with not more than 200 jumps, or maximum 100 videojumps total....

Interesting DZO
The trouble with skydiving; If you stink at it and continue to jump, you'll die. If you're good at it and continue to jump, you'll see a lot of friends die...

I will agree with vdschoor and freefalle. They both have way more experience than me, but i use a Cannon Eos and a 28mmEF lens, i also shoot a .42 on vid. Here is an example of a tandem pic with that lens.

Never look down on someone, unless they are going down on you.

Nicely framed shot - but their faces are a little fuzzy, and their legs are perfectly in focus. I bet you are using manual focus set just past infinity...

Try using auto. I do with the exact same camera/lens set-up and it works great.

Could be a depth of field thing too. Are you shooting shutter priority or aperture priority? What settings on a bright clear day like this?

Don't mean to be nit-picky - I'm just curious.

Canuck

Cunuck
I know alot of people who use the infinity setting, I think it has its place. but for shooting something like a tandem or something thats fairly still, I use the autofocus. I also use a Shutter priority setting usually of 1000. If the weather gets crappy or towards sun set Ill bump it down to 500 and sometimes even 400. Ive always had good luck with those settings.

Actually, since you are considering the EF-S 18-55 lens, I assumed you bought a 300D. The EF-S 18-55 will not work with a film Rebel. Film Rebels have EF mounts. Only the 300D and 20D will accept EF-S lenses without extensive modification to the lens, and if you do the mod you run the risk of the mirror hitting the rear element.

The folks who are telling you to buy this lens with your camera are mistaken. There is no EF 18-55.

Brent

----------------------------------
www.jumpelvis.com

Nicely framed shot - but their faces are a little fuzzy, and their legs are perfectly in focus. I bet you are using manual focus set just past infinity...

All,

I never shoot autofocus, unless it's under canopy stuff and I am using a longer lens (50mm or so) and even then I hate autofocus.
Since you're not able to look through the viewfinder and see what the camera decides to focus on, I don't like it.

Personally I set my lenses to be in focus at about 5 / 6 feet out and further.
Pick a smaller f stop (usually I shoot around F8) and you're money!
To read a bit more about F stop, Quade has a small article here

As to which settings I usually shoot, most of the time I shoot in shutter priority. Set my shutterspeed at 500 and have the camera pick the aperture, which usually comes out between 7.1 and 10. I started shooting fully manual more, and then on a "normal" skydiving day I shoot 1/500 and F8, with ISO set to 100.

Just my 2cts though, to each his own, I just don't like shooting autofocus.

Iwan

That's how I use to shoot (manual focus set for about 4-6 ft.) and was happy with about half my pictures. I often found the money shots (face close-up) not totally crisp, and exit shots were hit and miss. The full body shots were always decent.

On auto focus, everything comes back looking nice and I have no problem blasting an entire roll on tandems from 11,000.

This is only for tandems. I don't often take my still on fun jumps.

I use shutter priority also. 500 on sunny days, 250 if it's cloudy, 350 if it's somewhere in between. I shoot on 100 or 200 iso film.

Works for me.

Canuck

LOL if you want to try modding one, here's how:
http://www.bobatkins.com/photography/tutorials/efs-10d.html, only useful for D30/60/10 though.

I'm fairly sure there used to be another 18-55 mm, one that came with the EOS IX APS camera that I used to own. Can't find it online though, so maybe it was just something close...

ciel bleu,
Saskia

Could be a depth of field thing too. Are you shooting shutter priority or aperture priority? What settings on a bright clear day like this?

Don't mean to be nit-picky - I'm just curious.

Canuck

I don't think you are being nit-picky at all.B|

I DO NOT SHOOT TANDEMS FOR MONEY
I did have my cam set at just past infinity, i realized that i didn't reset it from another jump as soon as i saw these pics.:S I use manual focus and set at shutter priority 1/350th shutter speed and let the camera choose the aperature.

Lately, i have been using the same settings but set my focal length to between 3 and 7 feet. I will let you guys know how those turned out when i get them back.:D I haven't tried using auto focus but i might for a dive and see how it goes,B| thanks.
Jeff

I see a lens on ebay ...

is this will work fine with my canon rebel EOS ??

Canon Zoom lens EF 28-80mm f/3.5-5.6 IV

P.S. I use a .42

thanks

You could use that lens, however it is larger and heavier that a fixed 28mm lens.

That zoom has got to be the worst lens Canon ever made... only plus, it's lightweight...

For a fixed lens, get f/2.8, the 1.8 etc lenses are too big (and $$$).
For an EOS, only get AF/EF lenses. There are other Canon lenses too which are the old manual lenses, these don't fit.

If I were you, I'd get a 28 or 24 mm f/2.8 lens, if not, a 19-35 mm f/3.5-4.5 clone zoomlens (Voigtlander, Tokina etc make these, they're cheap).

ciel bleu,
Saskia

Since you're not able to look through the viewfinder and see what the camera decides to focus on, I don't like it.

Hey there Iwan,

Not arguing - but have you gone through the settings and set the focus point to dead center? That keeps me from having off focus shots, at least on the tandems.

Doing 4 way or bigger it would obviusly be a diferent story.

. . . but everyone has their preferances.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun