mwabd1

powerbook G4

Alright I have convinced the wife and am going to order a Powerbook G4, with a gig of memory and final cut express! Now the only choice is 15in or 19in!

Three weeks and I will have it!

It will be nice to be able to edit video's wherever I want.............anyone using one already?

----------------------------------------------------------
.......I hereby reject your reality and instead choose to insert my own!

I've had a G4 powerbook for about 3 years. It great, but if you plan to do a lot of editing you will run out of HD fairly fast unless you have someplace to move your data to.

J
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. - Edmund Burke

Yeah, the PowerBook G4s rock pretty hard.

More than capable of most editing projects most people would be doing.

An outboard FireWire hard drive wouldn't be a bad idea for long term storage of larger projects and back-ups of your entire internal drive lest something bad happen.

Everything here was made on my PowerBook G4. Of course, that's way more applications software than comes with FCE!
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Have a G4 tower and now a G4 PB. LOVE the PB and it's power. Wonder how I ever survived with out it at the DZ, being a cameraflyer and all. All my skydiving work is done on the PB's 80GB HD (upgraded it when it was custom ordered).

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

I've had the 12-inch model for about a year. It will do just as well for editing as it's larger siblings. You can also take the $$$ you save and upgrade to FCP. If the small screen is a problem, you can easily plug in to a monitor at home.

I've had the 12-inch model for about a year... If the small screen is a problem, you can easily plug in to a monitor at home.

How much did the adapter cost you and where did you buy it?

The 12" PB has the miniDV output and needs a special adapter to go to an external computer monitor.

ltdiver

it's nicknamed a dongle and it is shipped with the laptops...

$20 from apple - search the apple store under displays...

For my Cinema Display the first part mini-DVI to DVI is needed. Then a second part the DVI to ADC is needed.

All in all, over $120 worth of connecting equipment. It is not what comes with the 12" PB's original package. It has to be bought separately.

Or so I was told when I went by the Apple store.

ltdiver

If you haven't ordered it yet, I'd hold off another couple of weeks--MacWorld I believe is next weekend--The prices are sure to drop!

**crossing fingers that there is a G5 laptop coming out....

pope

BTW, you can get good FW400 drives now for less that a buck/Gb shipped these days. If you're doing any editing I'd recommend one HIGHLY.

BTW, you can get good FW400 drives now for less that a buck/Gb shipped these days. If you're doing any editing I'd recommend one HIGHLY.

I just picked up a Lacie 160 2 days ago at a good price ... it's only got 80 gb free today:o If you gave the space you will fill it.....
--
Murray

"No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: the officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets." - Edward Abbey

What size Cinema Display do you have? I thought only the 17 inch required the ADC adapter. The 20, 23, and 30 inch monitors are all listed as having a DVI connector. I'm not completely familiar with the Apple monitors, though. I opted for a cheaper brand to afford more BASE gear!;)

I have the THE ORIGINAL APPLE 15" FLAT PANEL DISPLAY M7612LL/A.

Found the specs here: http://support.clubmac.com/display.asp?r=262 There is no DVI interface on the display.

The tower that I have connected to it is: APPLE PM G4 867MHZ 128MB 60GB SUPERDRIVE M8360LLA

My 12" PB needs the extra connection: mini-DVI to DVI plus the DVI to ADC to use this Cinema Diplay.

Here is a picture on Ebay that shows the tower set-up I have: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=51034&item=5742999363&rd=1 Except with the 15", not the 17".

ltdiver

I opted for a cheaper brand to afford more BASE gear!;)

You're not going to get the same resolution that you would have with the apple display... unless you chose an hp display in which case you would...

I understand your point, but my LIFE wouldn't have near the resolution without the BASE gear;)