oiseau60

What editing software to use

I was wondering what kind of video editing software to use. some friends told me about Adobe Premiere Pro but it looks like you need a really powerful computer to run this thing. I also heard about Vegas.

what do you guys recommend, out of those two, or any other software

thx

What operating system are you using and what do you want to do with the software? How much do you want to spend. How much capability do you need?

Are you going to be making quick and simple videos for your friends or tandem work or The Blair Witch Project or Gone With The Wind?
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

any of you guys use vegas? or any other opinion on an older premiere version, like 6.0?

I am using Vegas 5 and DVD Architect, I can honestly say it rocks.

I had a cameracrew from the British Forces Broadcasting Services, turn up at the DZ on Monday as they were shooting some stuff for a program about our centre. They came in to my office to speak about footage and the like and were very impressed with my setup.

Whilst I will admit that I Movie or I tandem as I like to call it is a very good editing solution for tandem edits stc. you do need an expensive Mac for it to run anything as fast as vegas on my AMD 2600XP.

I have tried Premiere, Avid, Video Studio and found them all to be satisfactory. Spending a little time to RTFM will pay off for any package.

But Vegas gets my vote hands down. Download the free trial, and manual and play around with ityou may be suprised.

Buzz
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.

I use Pinnacle 8 for the quick an easy edits. I use Vegas for the more time intense fun stuff, but then drop the rendered avi into Pinnacle to make a quick DVD.
They all have quirks, and just take time to get used to. Best way for me was to just dive in an make some projects,,, then ya gotta postem so we can enjoy them!!

edited to add.. DVD architect is a nice program that allows some very cool stuff for a profesional type DVD,, I haven't used it much yet so for me it's just being lazy and getting the project done quick by dropping it into Pinnacle... I plan on using it for the end of the year DVD with differant sound tracks for differant listeners all on the same disc

Natural Born FlyerZ.com

"or any other opinion on an older premiere version, like 6.0?"
4.2 was pretty solid but lacked OHCI (standard firewire cards are nearly all OHCI compatible) support, so was really only any good with cards that came with specific codecs and drivers for those particular cards. 6.0 and onwards is stable and will work with just about any firewire card, later versions resolved various minor glitches, and added some nice features.
Premiere 5 and all it variants had more bugs than a bunkhouse mattress, do not, under any circumstances, touch it.

Long story short, you'll be okay with any version of 6, or later.
--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson