blair700

Digi Rebel Problem

So after about 40 shots, I got an error code 99, sent it in, they replaced the 'shutter release mech', still under warrenty, got it back, balloon jump, got 2 shots on exit, then the same problem, they have it again now, anyone else have this issue?? Do I have a lemon?? The problem has occured both times in freefall, could it be biteswitch related???
Thanks
Blair

Do a search on error code 99. I seem to remember there being a thread on this and it being related to the older SIGMA lens. I believe removing the battery cleared the errror code but didn't fix the problem. I think there was a link to a 300D camera forum thread on another site that covered it in detail.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Thanks for the info, I am using the Cannon kit lens with it though, and its more like something inside is 'broken'. When you press the button it only clicks a little, and doesn't record an image, then the error code. Shut down and remove battery, lens, etc. Fire it up again and same thing.....we'll see, maybe they'll offer me a credit on the 20D:P
Blair

The shutter curtain on my 300D self destructed after 6200 frames. Similar symtoms - hit the shutter release and only hear the mirror retract, no shutter sound, no picture and an err99 after a bit.

Check that there is no crud on the mirror or shutter curtain and that the mirror retracts - blower is the only thing I would use inside to clean it out - use the cleaning mode without a lens to check the movement. I kept mine going for a month after the first problem by going into cleaning mode after each error. I don't recommend that because once it went for good Canon refused the warranty.

in a photoforum i found this

Err 99 An error other than the above has occurred. Remove and re-install the battery. Err 99 is non-specific. The only way to find out what it means is to send the camera in for repair

-------------------------
"jump, have fun, pull"

I had the same problem, except I got over 8000 shots before the "'shutter release" malfunctioned. I sent it in a week or 2 ago and just got it back today. Only thing I had to pay was shipping. Customer service is great. I hope they have this worked out... else I will look at the XT.
Leroy

..I knew I was an unwanted baby when I saw my bath toys were a toaster and a radio...

I had the same issue with my 10-d a yr or so ago and they had to replace the shutter .I locked the mirror and froze with error 99 ,didn't matter if i pulled the battery and lense .It still did it with one click of the shutter release.

A friend will bail you out of jail , a REAL friend will be sitting next to you in the cell slapping your hand saying "DUDE THAT WAS AWSUM " ................

So after about 40 shots, I got an error code 99, sent it in, they replaced the 'shutter release mech', still under warrenty, got it back, balloon jump, got 2 shots on exit, then the same problem, they have it again now, anyone else have this issue?? Do I have a lemon?? The problem has occured both times in freefall, could it be biteswitch related???
Thanks
Blair

I have exactly the same problem here. A month ago had the shutter replaced, yesterday it broke again. I jumped last year with the self-made remote button, this year bought a bite-swich - and this s...t starts to happen. I had no idea how bite-swich could affect a schutter mechanism, but it seems that it does.
Damn.