SSkydiver

Spectre/Triathlon wingloading

How about on a no wind day?

You load a 160 at almost 1.2. You'd load a 170 at a bit over 1.1. What's the rush to go small? At 1.1 a Spectre is fun to fly but still has a bit extra over your head so you don't hurt quite as bad when you screw up - or when you find yourself in an unexpected bad landing area.

I just checked Aerodynes website for their wingloadings on Triathlons, and they recommend .9 for novices, 1.1 for intermediates, and 1.3 for experts, with a max of 1.6.
I have also heard Triathlons fly better with a wingloading above 1.1 from the gear reviews.

the only reason I know all this stuff is because I'm thinking of getting a Triathlon

Im still just a beginner too, but I would recommend talking to your instructors, because they know how you fly... my instructors recommended a 170 for me, which I know most canopy nazis would say is too small, but those nazis havn't seen how good I fly :P

MB 3528, RB 1182

I load my spectre at around 1.5-6ish.:$ which is at or around the placcarded limit for this canopy.
The performance is spirited to say the least, I have about 450 jumps on this canopy and I still have some performance exploration to do with it, if I feel like it.

--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson

How about on a no wind day?

You load a 160 at almost 1.2. You'd load a 170 at a bit over 1.1. What's the rush to go small? At 1.1 a Spectre is fun to fly but still has a bit extra over your head so you don't hurt quite as bad when you screw up - or when you find yourself in an unexpected bad landing area.

I'm not rushing to go small. If that were the case i'd be looking for a 135 or smaller. My instructors have said to me not to go lower than a 150. With the few jumps i have, i have paid that extra money to learn from coaches and instructors and have had them jump with me. I wouldnt even think of going smaller than a 150. A no wind day....pick a spot for me and i'll land on it. Canopy control has always been one thing i have always work so hard at in my 60 jumps so i could be as good as i possibly can at my level.

Clipped from a post by wfaulkner in the S&T forum -

But unfortunately so many people in the sport today aren't willing to listen to advise about downsizing too rapidly, but they have to have a Cypres there to "save them." Jumping a bigger canopy for a longer time, not downsizing rapidly will be much more likely to save your life.

Think about it.

I'd say go with the largere size. Unless you plan on increasing your jump #s. 61 jumps in 2 years is not enough jumps to go to the aggressive side of canopy flying IMHO. On the other hand I trust your instructors so if they say you can fly the 150 I believe them. See if you can get Gregg to let you jump his Spectre 170 sometime and see how you like it. As a side note I jumped the PD 150 and Tri 160 very early on and still ended up with a Spectre 170 as a first canopy and loved every jump I put on it (except for that 1 cutaway).

To date, i've jumped a PD 150, Falcon 135, Safire 190, Tri 190, Tri 160 and currently jump a Merit 170. The Merit is great aside from the nut busting openings. Would like to get a Hornet 170. 60 jumps in 2 years is weak, i wont argue that. Just bought a new rig, have another older rig to get together so i can have 2 rigs just so i can jump more. Your talking to a guy thats been working 6 days a week 70 hours a week for the past 2 years and off on only sundays. Take 3-4 sundays in a row that are rained out or cloudy and i'm screwed, aside from trying to spend time with my other half and trying to sell my house in San Antonio has made for many lost jump days. Definetely plan to seriously increase the jump #'s this year and really get back into the sport with more regularity. I'll be in San Marcos first thing in the morning on sunday. 170 it shall be.

Like all the others have said, take the instructors advice. Although, sometimes the instructors may not know exactly how good or comfortable you are under canopy. No one knows exactly what your skill level is or what canopy you should fly. But, keep in mind it's your life. I jumped a 288 until I got my A, went down to a 210 right after that. My exit weight is only 145, so I was still way underloaded....but it wasn't a bad thing. (unless the wind was strong, in which case I didn't jump) Once I felt like it was safe and had the approval of the JM's at the DZ, I went to a 190 around jump number 30. It didn't make a big difference but it was the smallest rental rig I could grab. After doing another 20 jumps on that and determining it was way too big for my weight and skill I jumped a friends 150. It was very comfortable and it actually did what I told it to, which is always nice. So I bought a Tri 150. I'm at .96 wingloading just as the website recommends and feel very safe under it. So anyway, in the end it's your life. If you plant yourself you won't be able to jump anymore and that sucks! Be safe!

-Kenny

My 2 cents, I've made several jumps on a tri 190 loaded at 1.35 . with 42 jumps I'm no expert.
the thing I like about the tri is it lands on a dime and a nice long snivle (read soft opening).
At my DZ they are the rental gear. The canopy I decided to go with is a saber2 190. blue skies
jerry

most canopy nazis would say is too small, but those nazis havn't seen how good I fly

famous last words....

blue skies and soft landings.... and oh yeah... read my sig.

Landing without injury is not necessarily evidence that you didn't fuck up... it just means you got away with it this time

Diver,
If you can come up with just one "good" reason to go below 190 at your size, go for it and get a Velocity 79. Besides feeding you ego a small canopy just increases you potential for pain.
Sparky

Sparky. For one thing i'm not feeding my ego. I am very comfortable under a 160/170, i can safely , effectively and effeciantly fly a 160/170, i can fly and land it in no wind, high wind, down wind, cross wind and do stand up landing. Give me one "good" reason why i should fly a Velocity 79. I think someone with 2000+ jumps should know thats a pretty rediculous comment. Sure, i'll jump a Velocity 79 if you agree to pay my funeral expenses.

Hey, Diver, it looks as if somebody's pulling your leg! Congratulations on keeping your cool! If you fly your canopy as you keep your cool even your disbelievers should acknowledge that you will never endanger yourself nor others while skydiving and that you make very reasonable choices...

HISPA # 18 POPS # 8757