sarge

Mounting the PC330 to an Optic with a BH box, Help

On my way to the workbench with my pc330, Optic and BH d-box.... I freaked out!

First, what do I do with the hand-strap and the grip handle? How do you take that stuff off the camera?

Second, lining up holes ? How do you mark the first hole as a drilling point with the camera in the box?

Third, but probably should be first is, marking the tripod screw location for drilling out the bottom of the box for the base screw.

Any tips or what-not would be greatly appreciated.

--
I'm done with the personally meaningful and philosophical sigs!!

first, the strap, gotta pair of cutting dykes, its gone,
second, make a piece of 2 sided tape put it over the hole for the tripod screw on the camera then put the camera in the box press it down frimly so the tape will stick to the D-box then remove the camera. The inside of the D-box will be marked with the piece of tape and the camera will be out of the way to drill the box. Im sure you know, make sure the camera is no where near anything that your drilling to prevent shit getting in the camera. I hope that helps any questions drop me a MP

Depending on which DBox you have, you can keep the strap on and just make sure it's out of the way when you put it in the box. Or, cut it off, scissors. Then, use a marker to mark the first hole through the dbox, start with the lowest one. Drill it, put the camera in, and pivot the box about that hole with someone helping you sight it until you are happy with the alignment (looking straight ahead for ff or slightly up for rw). Mark the edge of the box with a sharpee or pencil. then take the camera out and mark the other two holes through the box and drill them. For the tripod screw, measure the distance the hole is from all sides of the camera and then copy thos measurements on the bottom of the box, adding the thickness of the sidewalls. Also, if you have a box, you don't need the tripod screw like you do on the L-bracket.

good luck. Don't be suprised if you drill more holes than you need. I drilled three sets of holes in my first camera helmet before i was happy with the alignment.

peace
lew
http://www.exitshot.com

When drilling any holes in materials, especially composites, use some tape on both sides of where you plan to drill. it's got to be a good bit bigger than the hole so it doesn't just get stuck to the drill bit. In theory when done properly
- 3 things -
it helps you mark the spot to drill,
get the drill to stay put rather than skid around when starting the hole,
and the important part...
helps keep the material from chipping or splintering when the bit breaks through to the oposite side.
I've seen gaphers tape and good wide masking tape used for this.
good luck
matt

I stayed away from Bonehead's bulky d-boxes and went with a 2K composites FF2 helmet with the integrated d-box.
I had to remove my strap, but did so with a high-quality small screwdriver instead of snips. My strap is still intact and I can put it back on in about 15 minutes. I removed the swivel joint at the bottom as well. I also removed the cover over the lanc & A/V ports.
All this can be done without damage to the components or camera, but you should have some experience with this.
So far the camera has performed pretty well, but I did run into some humidity failures when I had the tape door gaffed closed. It must need to breath. We were also jumping in about 95% RH conditions, a difficult time for any camera.
Good luck,
Troy

I am now free to exercise my downward mobility.

I had to remove my strap, but did so with a high-quality small screwdriver instead of snips. My strap is still intact and I can put it back on in about 15 minutes. I removed the swivel joint at the bottom as well. I also removed the cover over the lanc & A/V ports.

Troy, I saw a post in another thread that detailed taking the strap and swivel off of the pc330, but what is the best way to remove the covers from the lanc & A/V ports? Do you just pinch the plastic parts that go into the camera and pull?

Why remove the cover of the lanc port?

I'm not familiar with the PC330, but on my 120 the lanc port cover also protects the DC power, firewire, and USB ports.

I left the cover on because I wanted the protection of the cover to help against moisture and dust entering any of the above mentioned ports.

I used a Dremel to drill a whole in the cover to allow access to the lanc port. When jumping with the cam eye plugged in, all ports are covered, and somewhat protected.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

Removing the cover for the lanc/AV ports is not mandatory, but makes it alot easier. You need to loosen all the screws for the one side (there are alot), and then you can pull the port cover off the pin. It is a pin extending downward that holds the cover in, I loosened the screws up, then pulled apart carefully, and also took a small scribe and bent the pin in a bit to get the cover off. Doing it on a pc105 is much easier than the pc330.
I also taped up the tape door where I removed the strap, but suffered humidity errors. Since I have removed the tape, there has been no problems.
I have taped up the mic and audio ports to prevent damage, but the av and lanc ports remain open.
Troy

I am now free to exercise my downward mobility.

Why remove the cover of the lanc port?

Oh, you know, every time i buy something of value the first thing that comes to mind is "how can i take this apart?!" ;)

Like webracer mentioned, just to make it easier I guess. On the pc330, the lanc port is in the same group as the mic, headphone, and a/v jack. This grouping is located on the right side of the camera, so it goes right up next to the helmet on a side mount.

I really like your idea about just drilling a hole, too! I guess I will wait till my FF2 gets here though before i start breaking apart my camera. For now, I am just collecting ideas for now about what lies ahead. B|

tenacious b

Thanks for the feedback. I still haven't attempted taking off the strap and handle or drilling any holes just yet.... I just haven't had the time to focus on this project.

I think I'm just about ready to begin... any other helpful hints/tips? -links to other threads perhaps?

Thanks again... wish me luck!
--
I'm done with the personally meaningful and philosophical sigs!!