Luckyif

whats the best pro camera helmet?

Please could someone advise me one the best hemet for camera. It needs to be a full top mount, with all the best features.

My first thought is a bone head flat top pro? yes/no!

help much appreciated:)
----------------
----------------------
PM#290
There are some people in this world which are just like slinky's,
Totally useless but you just can't help but smile when you see one bouncing down the stairs!

My first thought is a bone head flat top pro? yes/no!

Definately the Flat Top Pro, right now I am jumping a very early version of this helmet which has a box on top instead of the flat mounting plate, but I am going to get the Flat Top Pro sometime soon.

Iwan

What sort of setup are u using for stills and video, if you don't mind me asking.
----------------------
PM#290
Totally useless but you just can't help but smile when you see one bouncing down the stairs!

What sort of setup are u using for stills and video, if you don't mind me asking.

I am using what I think is called a Flat Box Pro? But I am not sure.

I attached a picture of me in action (photo taken by Deuce)

Basically the video is in an enclosed box on top of the helmet, and the still camera is mounted in front.

Iwan

There are quite a few pro helmets out there. There is the 2k Azimuth, Bonehead FTP, Para-Gadget (huge mounting plate), Wes helmets, Blade helmets, Hanson Helmets, and you can even make your own if you have some spare time. Go to www.ground-rush.com and go through the section on gear and helmet manufacturers, they're pretty much all there.

i meant to ask what type of cameras u use?
i was looking at digital stills but they seem a lot of money for a slower shutter speed, are there good ones out there for jumping with that can deliver enough shots per jump?

I use the Canon Digital Rebel, I don't know where you got the slow shutterspeed comment from, but this camera can do shutterspeeds well beyond what you will need for skydiving.

For video I use the TRV17, the helmet was setup for that camera so I went with that one (I found the helmet before I bought the camera)

A lot of people use other Canon digital SLRs, the 10D, D60 and D30 are used a lot too.

I must admit i haven't talked to any jumpers about cameras, just the guys in the shop!

I have heard of the rebel though, there doesn't seem to be much good info available in the UK about good still cameras. So i geuss you would recommend that camera? Thanks for your input, its nice to talk to people who know what they are talking about, with regards to skydiving camera equipment. A lot of stuff just isn't over here yet!

----
----------------------
PM#290

I have heard of the rebel though, there doesn't seem to be much good info available in the UK about good still cameras. So i geuss you would recommend that camera?

It's called the Canon 300D I think in Europe.
Talk to local camera people though, I really like the Rebel but it has limitations, as it is an entry level digital SLR.

The best advice is from local camera people at your dropzone, I am sure they have advice on still cameras. They have experience with your local conditions and will be able to give you much better advice.
For example I don't know how the Digital Rebel behaves in cold weather, same for the 10D.. I don't have that information nor experience.

Iwan

Thanks for your input, its nice to talk to people who know what they are talking about, with regards to skydiving camera equipment. A lot of stuff just isn't over here yet!

----

I wouldn't say that was entirely true.

I jump a 10D with a TRV 30 and a PC120 on a Flat Top Pro. I create my own DVD's with the use of NLE video equipment and premiere pro. Have been doing so for a while. There is a lot of talent in the UK.:)
Must admit I do get a lot of useful info and advice here as well.

Bryn
Journey not destination.....

Are you really considering jumping a camera with only 47 jumps? If so, may I suggest you reconsider? Seems a little early to be thinking about a camera setup to me.

Blues,
Nathan
Blues,
Nathan

If you wait 'til the last minute, it'll only take a minute.

The helmets at RImworld are mad by Wes Rich. They are amazing. Light and strong. His helemts start at about 1300.00 and go up from there but its the last helmet youll need to buy. He also sells accessories to set up helemts by other manufactures very nice stuff. If your ever in Deland ask where his shop is and just drop by, hes a great guy and alot of fun just to sit and talk with.

P.S. I agree with the aformentioned post, try another 150- 200 jumps before you strap a helmet to your pumpkin.

Don't be silly, it's not for me!
Its a surprise for my boyfriend!
I would like to do camera one day so i take a lot of interest in the discipline and i do most of his editing.
Although i haven't many jumps i have been working at DZ's for years and spent a bit of time in the the tunnel. Unfortunatly i am a student so i am biding my time till i can afford to jump my ass off continually!
----------------------
PM#290

Don't be silly, it's not for me!
Its a surprise for my boyfriend!
I would like to do camera one day so i take a lot of interest in the discipline and i do most of his editing.
Although i haven't many jumps i have been working at DZ's for years and spent a bit of time in the the tunnel. Unfortunatly i am a student so i am biding my time till i can afford to jump my ass off continually!

Oh, ok, rock on! That's cool!

Blues,
Nathan
Blues,
Nathan

If you wait 'til the last minute, it'll only take a minute.

Other boy friends will only be considered if they buy me good pressies too!
I would particulary like a horse or a rig but i'm not fussy!
----------------------
PM#290

Quote;
" there doesn't seem to be much good info available in the UK about good still cameras. "

The best digital site, (Still), I've found originates in the UK...Link;
http://www.dpreview.com/

Best prices I've found to be a different matter...
This site used to be called Dealtime - Link;
http://www.shopping.com/xCPT-find

I would use caution buying on line..and advise
looking for a highly rated dealer. (Not always the cheapest) This should give you a good idea of true value if you wish to compare locally etc.

Lu7k,
D