JJ269J

Picks of cheap quick release

I finally got around to posting some picks of my quick release. I found a very similar idea on the forum (so this is not all my idea, so thanks to whoever did think of it). All it takes is a quick pull of the webbing, which is attached using velcro. The thing I didn't like about other versions like this I've seen is that most of them just pull a cotter pin on the inside of the helmet but that was it, so under a load it probably would not release. This way, it first pulls the cotter pin, then pulls the shaft out, So, you are guaranteed to release the chin strap. All you need is 1 inch webbing, two metal rings, 1/4 inch aluminum rod, cotter pin, and washers.
So I'd like to hear opinions/suggestions.:)

Is it possible that the rubber stuff around the pins could hold onto the chinstrap?
Is there any chance that a riser strike could pull your handle off it's velcro?

I'm just trying to think of _anything_ that could go wrong...

How easy is to check the pin?

This looks good to me, but I have never seen a cutaway system IRL, so my opinion is probably not worth the bits it took to send...
--
Arching is overrated - Marlies

Is it possible that the rubber stuff around the pins could hold onto the chinstrap?
Is there any chance that a riser strike could pull your handle off it's velcro?

Its not actually rubber its cloth type padding, and it will come off with the straps.
I have been jumping it with no problems, but a riser strike could possibly pull the handle of the velcro, but it cannot snag on it so it will not produce near enough force to pull the cotter pin.

It looks big. I have a rental Flat Top Pro until mine arrives, and I haven't seen a better cutaway system yet.

I have no expectatiions of ever needing a cutaway, but feel stupid not having one since such practical ones are out there.

Fly good equipment for camera, deploy with good body position, this cutaway stuff should be an "Oh-shit!" moment of the first magnitude.

If I ever have to chop my 5 grand worth of camera gear off my head I will be so pissed at myself for letting things get to that point.

I will do it in less than a heartbeat, but it should be preventable.

Right... FTP's are able to have the entire back bone break way but its also a $700 helmet. For the average freefly helmet with a side mount camera this style breakaway is perfectly acceptible.

I really need to take pictures of my reworked cutaway system...
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Thats basically the principle of my cutaway and that of the tonfly helmet, except that on mine the tip of the pin is conic to make it slip off easier. Mine is also spring loaded, to make the pin slip off even if i lose the cutaway handle while pulling or something.
If it does not cost anything you are the product.

I've done 2 release systems for my helmet. I like what you have done.

The first one I did was a simple mod to the ratchet with a handle to make it easy to get to and add leverage. I replaced that with another a couple months ago that is somewhat similar to your's.

I used a Shimano brake cable and put it through the pin and into the helmet. Some washers and a spring inside to keep the stack correct and keep it loaded. I thought about using a cotter key first but dismissed it - I felt the short throw left too much potential for premature release.

>I found a very similar idea on the forum (so this is not all my idea, so thanks to whoever did think of it).

That would have been me about a year and a few months ago. I'm glad that someone found it useful and that they are actually using a cutaway system. I do like the addition of pulling the inside part too. On my setup I could'nt do that because my jaw locked it in once the helmet was on my head.

It now makes me a little mad that BoneHead is now selling it as a CHIN-CUP CUTAWAY MOD for $20 and never gave any credit or asked about the system. I never saw it for sale, posted or even at any of the DZ's I've been to before so I'm thinking it might actually have been an original thought (Those are rare and even hard to come by with me :ph34r:)

I just went through and redesigned my system and made it a lot cooler and a lot smoother to operate. Too bad you'll now need to pay me $20 at a boogie to see it :P:D
Yesterday is history

Parachutemanuals.com

When I was a little boy (a few years back really), my Papa told me that when someone steals your work and calls it their's, I should feel proud instead of angry because it is something of value. Of course Papa didn't see that the other kid got promoted past me, a little bonus, some awards, blah blah.

Now that I've grown up and learned to mellow out, I sure hope someone will steal my $2.14 ring-sight mounting hardware setup assembled mostly from old bicycle brake parts. Well it's going to be more that $2.14 by tomorrow when I replace a metal nut and bolt with nylon ones:)
My other ride is the relative wind.

Hell.. I would have prefered the damn directions on how to make one for less then $2 be posted on their website :P Open source and everything... Next time I have an original thought (Might be a few years, don't hold your breath) I'm going to post the GNU licence with it. :D

Oh well... Its better to see people having cutaway systems installed then anything else. (But a nice deal on a Flat Top Pro would'nt hurt at all :ph34r::P)
Yesterday is history

Parachutemanuals.com