wlie

Built my own ring sight mounting hardware for $2.14

No kidding. I can almost hear those words.:P

I happened upon an old pair of brake calipers at a bike repair store and acquired them for $2.

Then a trip to the hardware store for a ring-hook (48¢), and a nylon bearing (14¢).

The other parts such as nuts, bolts, washers, if not from the brakes, were from the helmet (see 2nd attachment) when I implemented PhreeZone's cutaway system or the old toolbox.

The picture pretty much tells you how to assemble one for yourself. The only thing is the nylon bearing which I've used as a spacer for where the caliper is bolted onto the helmet. The hole's a tad big for a regular ¼" socket bolt.

I found that 2 brake pad retainer thingies assembled as such offered the same swivel you'd expect of a swivel clamp. There are 2 nuts to tighten once you've got it all positioned. Well, 3 really if you count the hardware attaching it to the helmet.

One nut applies pressure on the thingie that screwes to the arm. You don't need to screw it all the way in and risk stripping the arm. The other nut you use to hold the improvised ring sight in place.

In all, it took me about 2 hours to grind off excess aluminium (where the arm attaches to the helmet), put it together and make all the adjustments.:)
edit: Title
My other ride is the relative wind.

Ok Ok. I give. And I took off the 48¢ I paid for the ring hook. Heehee. Come to think of it, I really just came up with an inexpensive way to mount a ring sight or something to help my aim really:)

I'm not sure that this is what I understand by the term "ring sight".

Doh! ... You do get what you pay for sometimes ;)

Thanks for sharing your design, I for one will keep using my "Newton" Ring. Your method will work but you really should study the benefits of using true optics. Quade wrote a very good article on this very subject, and worth reading.

I applaude your innovativeness as well as frugalness. However, when I look at that I see an accident waiting to happen. My humble advise is to seek another way of making a ring sight that doesn't pose such a snag hazard.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

:| :S I don't understand the white spacer on the # 2 picture....It seems like that is one side of the chin strap, where it connect to the helmet... I'm concerned about the way the metal washer extends beyond the diameter of the white spacer....
what's it's purpose??...
True enough there is little likelihood that a suspension line might come in contact with that connection... ( under NORMAL conditions),,, but IF any lines were to brush past it..... I'd be "keeping my fingers crossed" for you...nice initiative... but sometimes it's best to go with what has been proven to work,, and work safely by others...
............an anecdote ,, if I may.... I saw an ad from a nearby C182 DZ, who is in a market where there are 3 places that potential tandem students might go to make that First Jump....Two of the places offer
turbines,,, and charge 200 for the tandem... This place flies 2 C182's, only goes to 10 Grand w/tandems.... ( which the students don't even REALIZE),, and so this place runs a newspaper ad with the word CHEAP..... in large letters,,, and printed in a few places on the 3 inch by 3 inch ad
Basically the wording is,,, "you want Cheap" ?
"we are Cheap".. no 800 numbers,,, no charge cards,, which add fees, no twin engine planes...We are cheap!!!.... can you believe it??:| :ph34r: :S ;) ..
My response..??... Sure I want CHEAP ....when I am buying scotch tape,,, or when I am buying groceries,,, or when I am buying a movie ticket....
But when I am buying a SKYDIVE>>>>>>>>
Cheap !!!:o[:/]:(:S..... is the LAST thing I'm looking for......I want the BEST>>>>>and sometimes if you don't pay for it in the first place,,, you'll wind up paying for it,, ( one way or the other) at some point down the road....get it????:|
Skydive softly, Skydive safely, Skydive often. jmy

What makes a ringsite effective is the stuff inside the glass, not the ring.

Its the stuff inside the helmet that takes a good shot.

That does look like a beefy sang point. Be carefull and make sure it dosen't block your fov under canopy. I think the dot on the gogles is the way to go. I jump a ring sitght now and the optics on the lens is what gives you the enhanced sighting.

My 2 bits. Good luck.
www.canopyflightcenter.com
www.skydivesac.com
www.guanofreefly.com

You have to understand that she has a very good reason for wanting the vision out of that eye to be as unobstructed as possible.

Yes, she could -probably- be a little more accurate in her aim if her sight had some optics in it, but all-in-all she's doin' ok.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

optics on the lens is what gives you the enhanced sighting.

Very true....except if optical glass is in front of my eye it WILL block my entire view. :PB|

Rest assured, I have a cutaway system installed and -will- use it if needed. Haven't had to in the past 5 years of shooting camera, though.

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

Yes, she could -probably- be a little more accurate in her aim if her sight had some optics in it, but all-in-all she's doin' ok.

Thanks.

Perhaps. Yet, I'm wondering if a person's aim, say in archery, is enhanced when viewing through only their dominant eye?

If they close their non-dominant eye their accuracy improves?

ltdiver
(oh, btw, I was the only one in my university class who earned an 'A' in archery.) :)

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

If I'm not mistaken (and I could be because I don't use a ring sight) but the commercially available swivel clamps are mounted with nylon bolts so in the event of a snag, they will shear off, and clear the problem. This might be something to consider with your design.

:| :S I don't understand the white spacer on the # 2 picture....It seems like that is one side of the chin strap, where it connect to the helmet... I'm concerned about the way the metal washer extends beyond the diameter of the white spacer....
what's it's purpose??...

That's all part of my helmet cutaway system. Inside the white spacer is a spring. The washer is used to keep the spring from squeezing itself around the clovis pin's head as their circumferences are quiet close in measurement. The white spacer while it houses the spring, serves 2 purposes: 1) attempt to make the assembly as flush as possible, 2) set a fixed position where the cotter pin gets inserted.

The pictures attached should illustrate.

You're absolutely right about the slim chance the washer creates a snag hazard with suspension lines. The difference is less than 1mm; the side-mounted D-Box is about 3.5":)
Edit: A side note if anyone's noticed the secondary chin strap. I've elected to have one installed because I know of one guy, upon completing a head down, lost his entire setup because the chin cup un-racheted itself. I would like to make that decision thank you very much;)

After reviewing the comments, I understand why there're lots of concern with using a ring hook as my sight - the gap in the loop.

I've used a bench vice to squeeze the gap as shut as I could. And in heeding your concern, I've fully closed it today with epoxy:)
There's also one spot (the black contoured washer with a nut) that I intend to eliminate a potential snag point. I'll have to find a comparable washer and I won't be jumping my setup until it is resolved.

Anyway, the reason I posted my handy work for all to see is to gather your comments, thoughts, ++. And it's better that I get them now then when something goes wrong.:)

the commercially available swivel clamps are mounted with nylon bolts so in the event of a snag, they will shear off, and clear the problem. This might be something to consider with your design.

Yes and consider it done. I will be at Lowe's tomorrow to acquire a nylon nut & bolt to replace the set attaching the arm to the helmet.

I love the comments. Keep them coming:)

;)Now Now,
The first post pictures are no big deal. They've been selling those in Arkansas for years!!!!!

You are too sweet a lady to let these guys get you all fired up.

Tell you what, I've got an old cross sight, one's I think Brent made years ago, plastic frame with cross sight. PM me an address and I'll try to find it and give it to you just to shut these guys up.

Blues my lady,

J.E.
James 4:8