WayneRATS

mounting a camera setup to this helmet..

looking to use this as my camera helmet.
could anyone tell me how they would modify it to mount the camera and a cutaway system onto it.

i have my own ideas but would like to see how they would compare to other peoples :)
it's of a harder shell than the protec but just as thick. it has a soft padded liner and the chin strap is like that of a protec also

it's actually an alpine skiing helmet with the same CE marks as other helmets it is deisned to take a bashing.. sorry for the crap photo but it came off a website.

i would like a side mount if possible say for a sony pc8 (for argument sake)
so then. any ideas? has anyone converted a protec before?
------------------------
Can You Ere Me Now?

I would say your best bet is to get a chin-cup for it and maybe the flat top attachment from Bonehead and a D-box for your camera. I think it would be kinda tricky to side mount with those things over the ears, but I can't tell much from the photo. As far a quick release, I personally think I can just get out of my ratchet chin cup if I need to, but if you want a single point release like a cutaway, you probably want to check out something like the chin cup cutaway from 2kcomposites. www.2kcomposites.com
I haven't seen any other chin cup cutaway methods so far, but I know there are a few hand made ones out there. Talk to someone who flies camera at your DZ, they can help you out in person a lot more anyone can over the internet.

I haven't seen any other chin cup cutaway methods so far

Think old school. Folks used to use pro-tecs as camera helmets. The most common "mod" I've seen was some snaps put on and a football helmet chin "cup" used.

There are obviously MUCH better solutions now in the skydiving market, something that is more solid and won't move as much, thus giving better video (less shake, etc).
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

yeah you could got to 2kcomposites for your cutaway system... but they want £70 for theirs (admitedly installed which is the expensive bit). A better price would be to go to bonehead and pay $20 for the parts and then do it yourself. Its really easy - just copy your 3-ring system on your rig. If you have an old set of risers which are screwed then simply cut one of them up and use the rings from that and you have a cutaway system for free.

You could make your own cutaway setup, but I'd probably want some smaller rings than used on a mini riser. Also, if you decide to make your own, you will want to contact RWS for the specs on building three ring systems because even with a simple cutaway system, if you don't build it to the right specifications it might not work, especially when under a load.

I'd approach it as a protec... use a Football helmet chin-cup (the kind with two snaps on each side)... sew a piece of pull-up cord between the two straps one one side, above the snaps... that is your cut-away system...

For the mount... you can make a base plate out of metal (make sure to round all the edges) and secure it to the helmet... I'll try to find my old helmet and take a picture of what I'm talking about when I get home...

You could also use a chin-cup from bone head, and depending on the shape of the helmet, a flat top mod for the mindwarp, and a z-bracket for stills.

There are probably better solutions off the shelf, but if you have the helmet, and are willing to put the time into it, you could convert that one.

J
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. - Edmund Burke

i could prefer a side mount to a top mount. not sure why tho..

i think it would look like a walnut whip on the top of a melon

i've seen cameras mounted onto the sides of gaths etc

it's mainly going to be for filming fun jumps than movie quality special effects shots :)
not going to move into stills. too expensive
------------------------
Can You Ere Me Now?

i was mainly asking how to attach the mount.

am i going to gaffer tape it on glue it with pritt stick?

and if i do mount it how do i need to attach it

anyone got any photographs of there camera setup and how it's mounted. inside and out?
------------------------
Can You Ere Me Now?

I mounted my c-bracket from Pier Ltd. using nuts and bolts. Just make sure you have bolts of the right length. Too long, and they pose a danger to your head, too short and they wont hold. Once I got everything tightened and in place, I epoxy'ed the nuts to the helmet/washers. You can still get them off ig you need to, but they won't come apart by themselves.

I also integrated straps with velco on them to help hold the camera in place (primarily use the tripod mounting screw). The same bolts that hold the c-box in place hold the straps as well. You have to use washers to keep the straps from pulling through the bolt heads.

After you are done, gaffers tape up any gaps or snag points.

- Dan G

i put a l bracket on my protec before i had my mindwarp. just use washers as spacers to get the l bracket srait vertical when you wear he helmet and cover the gap you get with gaffers tape...... and a chin cup would be much helpfull if not you'll get alot of shake in your picture...