shawnstarr

should i buy it????

I want to buy a complete set up that i wont get bored with for a long time. I'm looking at a couple different deals. I'm 150lbs

1.reflex with 120 sabre 135 mini-cricket reserve, cypress, altimeter, and full face helmet. all under 100 jumps and 98-01' DOM asking $1700 for all of it.

2.Javelin Odyssey, Full articulation, stainless steel, soft reserve handle, Hard housings in the risers. (former DeLand PD Blue Rig). This looks BRAND NEW. Harness is C-18. Size for up to a 120 sq main. The reserve is a PD 113R manfactured in 2002. asking $1500

3.Talon container (1989 modelTriathlon-135 canopy DOM 2/99, 30 jumps)
Cypress Expert AAD (DOM 9/97)
Swift-Plus-175 Reserve
Bev Suite Jump Suite
Sapphire Altimeter
Z1 Full Faced Helmet
Packing mat
asking $1900

I know they are all small but are they good deals?
------------------------------------------------
'I refuse to tiptoe quitely through life
only to arrive safely at death' Anon

Hmm... 150 lbs. body weight puts you at about 170ish + exit weight. 170 exit weight on a 120 sq ft main equals a wingloading of 1.42. I'd say that's just a bit too small for a first rig. 170 exit weight on a 113 reserve is a 1.5 wingloading - I know people with thousands of jumps who won't go that small with their last chance canopy.

Look for something no smaller than 150 sq feet for your reserve and main. Jump that for 100-200 jumps, learn to fly the shit out of the main... then you _might_ be ready for a 120. Maybe. Maybe not.

Size your gear for survival NOW - i.e. sized so you can walk away from a landing in worst case conditions. Boredom doesn't kill people in this sport. Canopies too small for current experience and ability do.

I agree. None of these are great choices. The Javelin is way too small. DO you think that you are ready to land a 113 reserve when things get hairy?? I know that I am not. You should have a resreve at least as big as you are (ie 150+) and a Main the same size. You can ideally get a container sized for a 150 main, stuff a 170 in it and be comfortable with a 135 later. This gives you 3 sizes and 1000+ jumps before you would even think that you "needed" a smaller canopy combination. Look at the Parachutist articles on swoopers. They all have tons of time on large canopies and slowly down sized. Those who tried to go small to hope to grow into the canopy didn't keep jumping or got hurt.
Look at the clasifieds where people tell you that they bought a main to "grow into" and now are selling it becuase it scared them.
Chris

You didn't tell us how many jumps you have; I'm guessing from the question posed that it's 'not many'.

I want to buy a complete set up that i wont get bored with for a long time.

It would be a better idea to buy a rig that won't kill you for a long time.

All three are acceptable deals for an experienced skydiver. All three are a ticket to the hosipital for a low time jumper at your exit weight. Look for a rig with a 170 sq/ft main and reserve of similar size. Sure, it won't be 'cool' as the smaller rig, but it won't make you as hurt either.

-
Jim
"Like" - The modern day comma
Good bye, my friends. You are missed.

Being one of few jumps, i can say that the rigs your looking at buying are not good for you seeing how it appears you dont have alot of jumps under your belt. I currently have 60 jumps and i had an old Vector rig with a Merit 170 main and an equal size reserve. Well, my reserve is no good anymore and my rig was sent back to the manufacturer for stitching repair. That was my first rig. Now i had to look for a new set. After frustrating months (2-3) of looking, i got a Javelin J-2, all the bells and whistles, tye-dy, cypress and reserve. I'm 190 out the door and i have a Precision 181-M reserve. I purchased a Sabre2 135 but i ended up not jumping it because i felt later after talking to a lot of people, it was unsafe for my experience level. Luckily i resold it for what i paid. I just wanted to look cool. All i would have been is dead or seriously hurt. For now i'm sticking with the Merit 170 but will down size to a Sabre2 150 only after careful talk with instuctors, coaches who see me jump and other 2000+ skydivers. If you want to be cool with all the other skydivers, make the right choice on equipement, be smart and serious about safety....thats cool. Theres plenty of good gear out there for you to choose. Dont choose something that will hurt you. Go 170 plus on main and reserve. Talk to your instuctors and coaches. They wont steer you wrong. Thats what they are there for. Good luck.

After frustrating months (2-3) of looking, i got a Javelin J-2, all the bells and whistles, tye-dy, cypress and reserve. I'm 190 out the door and i have a Precision 181-M reserve. I purchased a Sabre2 135

Christ, you did this before you had 60 jumps?

The person who sold you that gear is not your friend.

but i ended up not jumping it because i felt later after talking to a lot of people, it was unsafe for my experience level.

Good for you. They probably saved your life, or at least a nasty broken bone or two, or three.

-
Jim
"Like" - The modern day comma
Good bye, my friends. You are missed.

Well I started jumpin a Sabre 170 at 15 jumps, and I was an easy 200 out the door. Downsized to a 135 for about 40 jumps at 120 and went to a 120 Nitron at around 160... but I have 250 + in less than 2 years w/ 3 months off cuz of surgery (car wreck)

Canopy size (IMHO) has much to do w/ jump numbers vs. time... AND skill level... I attribute my skill to some wonderful and patient teachers.
Goddam dirty hippies piss me off! ~GFD
"What do I get for closing your rig?" ~ me
"Anything you want." ~ female skydiver
Mohoso Rodriguez #865

After frustrating months (2-3) of looking, i got a Javelin J-2, all the bells and whistles, tye-dy, cypress and reserve. I'm 190 out the door and i have a Precision 181-M reserve. I purchased a Sabre2 135

Christ, you did this before you had 60 jumps?

The person who sold you that gear is not your friend.

but i ended up not jumping it because i felt later after talking to a lot of people, it was unsafe for my experience level.

Good for you. They probably saved your life, or at least a nasty broken bone or two, or three.

-
Jim

The J-2 was a good choice as far as rig, cypress and reserve. There alot of good people at my DZ i was able to talk to which made me decide to stay at at least a 150. Luckily i found out the safe way and not the hard way (broken bone or two or three).

I want to buy a complete set up that i wont get bored with for a long time.

This is your first rig?

Forget the "long time". The primary objective of your first rig is to keep you alive NOW. Above all else, buy something appropriate for the experience you have now.

This means a main and a reserve that are both around 170 square feet.

Worry about downsizing later. You'll find you'll be able to swap canopies very cheaply and easily when the time comes. I traded in my 190 triathlon for a 150 Stiletto when I had a few hundred jumps, for example. The upgrade cost me about 300 bucks. I kept all my other gear the same.

Downsize when you're ready for it. Not before.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

I know they are all small but are they good deals?

Good deals aint so good if you cant survive.For a first rig,your way out.Get down to your local and let them help you out.
Not saying this to offend you,but i dont want to read about you afteher an accident,which sure will happend in one of thouse rigs..sorry

To help you abit,heres my downsize kalender:
1stmain Sabre170 reserve Swift 175
2 main Sabre 150 reserve Swift 175
3main Sabre 120 reserve micro raven g 120
4main crossfire 99 reserve micro raven g 120

Actulaly im going to up size now.
I had reserve rides in both reserves,Swift 175 were a superb reserve,BUT my 120 reserve,is only to safe my ass.Ill have a 2end thourgth if i should do a ride on it again.Im sure i cant land my reserve whith out hurting myself(atleast bruises)

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

Worry about downsizing later. You'll find you'll be able to swap canopies very cheaply and easily when the time comes. I traded in my 190 triathlon for a 150 Stiletto when I had a few hundred jumps, for example. The upgrade cost me about 300 bucks. I kept all my other gear the same.

Downsize when you're ready for it. Not before.

Couldn't agree more, I just downsized from a 150 spectre to 135 siletto after several hundred jumps, only cost me 50 bucks + shipping. You'll have plenty of time to "go small" when you have more jumps and it does not cost much if you choose a canopy that keeps it value well.

_Am