Cyco

Spectra or Vectran lines

I got this info from Simon at Icarus.

VECTRAN
Advantages:
Will maintain its trim qualities over the life of the line-set.
Disadvantages:
Will wear faster than Spectra and will require replacement at around 500-700 jumps on the suspension lines and 250-400 jumps on the lower control lines.

SPECTRA
Advantages:
High wear resistance. Lines will last 1000 jumps+.
Disadvantages:
Will loose its trim qualities RADICALLY. As an indication, a Spectra line set with 500 jumps will have control line shrinkage of between 5" & 8", the outboard A lines will have shrunk 3" to 5" and the trim across the span is likely to be out by 2" to 4". The canopies performance will start to become effected in only 100 jumps. As a result, Spectra is not recommended on high performance canopies. The line set will need replacing at least as frequently, or more
frequently than Vectran due to shrinkage. Note: This is not an issue on low performance canopies.

yeah, what Skybytch said. :)
And, an easy way to think of it is: Vectran will not lose trim, it will break when it gets old (a line break is not something that wil kill you, generally, so don't freak out and vow never to jump Vectran lines). Spectra will lose trim before it will break.

A steering line breaking in the middle of a swoop very easly can kill you. Spectra shows wear very easly and vectan takes a bit more effort to look at. Its still easy to tell once you look, but if you are the type of person that does'nt inspect your lines during a repack it can get over looked.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

A steering line breaking in the middle of a swoop very easly can kill you.

Or cause major injuries... just ask TitaniumLegs.

That's why Icarus recommends that steering lines be replaced long before the rest of the line set if you're using Vectran.

For "lower" performance canopies (Triathlon, Spectre, Sabre2, etc) at lower wingloadings I recommend Spectra lines.

That's why Icarus recommends that steering lines be replaced long before the rest of the line set if you're using Vectran.

Is there a downside to using Dacron for the lower control lines?

Wendy w.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

>Is there a downside to using Dacron for the lower control lines?

Packing Volume... and it does'nt look as cool. I'm probally going to replace mine with Dacron once the spectra starts to wear.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Any good rigger should be able to add continuous lines to your canopy. It makes a HUGE difference when using third-legs. My Xaos has them and I love the smooth action you get with them in that configuration.

"...and once you had tasted flight, you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward.
For there you have been, and there you long to return..."

I think Dacron is great... I put small round-braided Dacron on the lower control lines of my Xaos-27. It's really smooth, especially with a cat's eye, it doesn't go out of trim quickly, and it has great wear characteristics.

Jason

I assume you are buying directly from the factory in Auckland. Have a chat with them, they should be able to give good advise which type of lines to choose. I am also buying a Safire atm and I just asked my dealer who is also my CI and a rigger and left it up to him to choose.:)

---------------------------------------------------------
When people look like ants - pull. When ants look like people - pray.

I put 350 jumps on my safire1 209 (which had 50 on it when I got it) before I replaced the lower control lines. You know when vectran is wearing. Vectran wears much worse than spectra. Personally Vectran breaking is a non issue with me because I keep a close eye on control lines. When they get fuzzy you change them. I would recommend vectran because after 500 jumps (and maybe a a set or 2 of control lines) it will fly and open like new, no degrading performance. Get spectra if your not good at keeping an eye on your lines.

Johnny
--"This ain't no book club, we're all gonna die!"
Mike Rome