SSkydiver

psycho packing/Hornet

The Hornet is out of production, but you can maybe still get one from some dealers that got it in stock.
PISA that made the Hornet has merged with Aerodyne systems. I've heard that the Hornet is replaced by Aerodynes Pilot.

Psycho packing is a different way to bag the canopy and is easier on new ZP canopies. However, PISA and Aerodyne use a different ZP fabric than e.g. PD that is not so slippery. I have no problem bagging my brand new Hornet 170 into my container that is sized for a 150. I do a regular pro-pack.

Psycho packing clicky:http://precision.aerodynamics.com/psycho/psycho_pack.htm

I would recomend having someone who do psycho pack show you how. Ask around at the DZ.
I think you might want a bridle extension to prevent burns on the fabric from the bridle. Do a search on the forums. Psycho vs. propack has been widely discussed.

There are only 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

There's no real need to psycho a hornet - it opens nice as it is and is easy to bag even when new. I have psycho'd mine a few times, but now I just pro pack, don't roll the nose, and make sure the slider is exposed. Opens in about 700 feet.

There's no real need to psycho a hornet - it opens nice as it is and is easy to bag even when new. I have psycho'd mine a few times, but now I just pro pack, don't roll the nose, and make sure the slider is exposed. Opens in about 700 feet.

I pro pack my hornet but roll the 4 cells on each side into the middle.. not rolling the nose at all gave me some pretty hard openings and rolling all the cells together didn't work very well either

I just fold the 4 cells on each side once into the middle and leave the center cell open. Only got 5 jumps on my hornet so far, but it has opened consistantly each time.
Had one linetwist on one, and a half on another one, but that's more probably because of the way I stowed the lines. Not looking at the pilot and deployment from the moment I throw it would probably help to, and give me a better body position when I dump. I just like to see that pilot all the way :)

There are only 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

I agree about not needing to psycho pack a Hornet. My Hornet 170 (purchased new) was the first ZP canopy I packed and I was able to handle it just fine from the start. And like the above posts, I've found that it opens sweet simply by folding in the four cells on either side.

Good luck -- Hornets are great canopies!

i don't roll the nose, and mine takes 1000-1200 feet to open.

It's probably closer to 500-600 feet. My psycho-packed Stiletto snivels forever, but I have yet to get one over 800 feet (usually 500-650), and that was on a pack job that was 3-weeks old. I was just about to give up and go for a cutaway if a final tug of the risers hadn't brought the slider down.

What most people think is 1000+ feet of snivel is usually caused by your altimeter playing catchup. Also, don't forget that as soon as the bag starts opening and the canopy comes out you are slowing down and not eating up altitude as fast as you were in freefall.

Kris
Sky, Muff Bro, Rodriguez Bro, and
Bastion of Purity and Innocence!™

My Hornet opens briskly, and I have been spanked by it a few times. It's fairly new and has the big slider. I started psycho packing to tame the openings, but my neck still hurts from a recent slammer opening (that was psycho-packed). I'm thinking maybe I wasn't slowed down all the way coming out of a track, but I should have been, since I always spend a lot of time waving off. At any rate it has me thinking about what could have gone wrong. I psycho-pack and roll the nose both. Openings are still quite fast, without loosening up all my teeth at pull time. I know this is unusual because most Hornets open fairly soft.

I talked to another girl though, who had her Z-1 ripped off her head, from a hard opening under a Hornet. She and her rigger husband tried various ways of packing it, but still had trouble getting it to open softly. They eventually sent it back to Ralph.

I like most of my openings, and was even bragging about how much nicer it opened since I started psycho-packing, but this recent hard opening again has me speculating as to what happened. I'm a very neat packer, with tight stows. The slider is all the way up. The first two stows I use a tandem rubber band. Maybe I was still moving too fast, coming out of a track. I'll watch that more closely in the future. Steve1

Western Parachute has a shipment on the way. My Hornet 190 is pro packed and has been very good to me. I have had one medium spank from it, but that might have been slider placement. It seems to average a fairly short snivel. I would not want to be anything but belly down on opening though.
It's really a nice canopy for the price. It's my first ZP and it has some excellent flight characteristics. Very predictable.
L.A.S.T. #24
Co-Founder Biscuit Brothers Freefly Team
Electric Toaster #3
Co-Founder Team Non Sequitor
Co-Founder Team Happy Sock