jose

2k Composite owners.....may I pick your noggin?

Hey, who out there has the FFX from 2k Composites? I am looking at abandoning my Hawkeye and D-box for this unit. The Hawkeye is VERY comfortable, and I am not willing to sacrafice much in that department. The D-box on the other hand, is an annoyance and hazard.

If you have, or know how one works, I have a couple questions.
1. How is camera secured in helmet?
2. Is lens hole big enough for Kenko .45?
3. Will you see the side of the helmet with the Diamond .3 lens?
4. Do they have a cutaway system?
5. Am I annoying you with so many questions?

Have just ordered an FF2. Was talking to the guy about the cutaway system and he said that he is just waiting for the delivery of the rings before putting them on. Seeing that the helmet wil take about 5 weeks to come through he was pretty confident that he would have the rings before then. (Let's hope anyway :)
Not sure about the other q's

Blues

I did the opposite, abandoned my FF2 for a Hawkeye. I had the problem that the FF2 did not fit properly for me and with a camera just made it worse. Met up with a friend the weekend who has an FFX and has the same problem I had.
2K helmets are great, loved mine but make sure it fits properly on your head otherwise you could also end up with some sort of issue. Some replies to your questions:
1: Comes standard I think now with a chin cup, otherwise just a strap under the chin.
2. .45 Yes
3. don't know, but having looked at the lens I think it will catch the edge of the helmet in the frame, ask Steve at 2K for the answer.
4. No
5.No, but then again you now owe beer for asking so many annoying questions:: LOL

3. Will you see the side of the helmet with the Diamond .3 lens?

Bad news - yes. Len is VERY close to side of the 2k composite helmet than any other helmets. A bloke tried it and disappointed with result. I saw his video and I can see the side of helmet on video very easy. Why don't you try someone's 0.3 len (at your DZ?) and see what you find. Test it before you buy it!

Yeah, by looking at the way the helmet is made, I assumed that would be a problem. I plan on using the Kenko 0.45x that I have as it sticks out more, thus keeping the side of the helmet out of the picture. Yeah, its not as nice of a lens as the Diamond, but it will work.

brad

To add to what Stu said, when I use my 0.43 semi-fisheye you get bit of the helmet in the picture (already zoomed in to avoid vignette, if I was going to zoom in any further I'd just use my 0.45). I fitted my own cutaway system. I have about 180 jumps on my FF2 and like it. :)

1.It is secured on a plate with foam padding and a velcro strap... does not move.
2.yes
3.I haven't put my footage on my computer yet but in the lcd and straight through tv mine doesn't show any of the helmet
4.MIne doesn't but the latest ones are supposed to
5.No I like mine alot fits great I heated it and molded it alittle better also... And I got EXCELLENT service from the folks at 2k...hope this helps

I jump an FF3 (older model) and I am very happy with it, but a couple of things to consider: because the helmet is made for a specific camera, you may have an issue if you change your camera, or the size of battery you use (if you plan to use one of the bigger batteries, tell them first...).
Cutaway system - seems from an earlier post that they are now/will be supplying one, but is also quite easy to construct one your self. If you are interested, I will send you some pictures of mine.
Also concur with another poster: customer service is excellent.
"If you can keep your head when all around you have lost theirs, then you probably haven't understood the seriousness of the situation."
David Brent

First off I usually recommend the FF2 over the FFX. The FFX is a little cheaper, but I think the immediate access you get with the FF2 is worth the extra $15-$20.

1. The camera is secured with a thumb screw and held firmly in place with custom padding inside the box.

2. Yes the hole is big enough, I use a kenko .43 and it works perfect.

3. As others have said, yes you will probably see the side, but you can also hit just a touch of zoom to get the corner out of there.

4. Also as stated, the cutaway system is in the works, but the helmet is already very easy to get rid of if necessary. All you have to do is reach up with either hand, push the button on the chincup and pull it off. It would be the same motion you would use with a loop cutaway except you have the press the button before pulling the chincup off. All helmets now come standard with ratchet chincups.

5. not at all, I am a US dealer for 2k, so if you have any other questions, PM me.

PS I've heard some people say they have had fit problems with the lower part of the helmet around the jaw. If you have a narrow head, 2k will make the helmet slightly narrower when they send it to you, and you can also bake them like boneheads to get a more custom fit.

Also as stated, the cutaway system is in the works, but the helmet is already very easy to get rid of if necessary. All you have to do is reach up with either hand, push the button on the chincup and pull it off. It would be the same motion you would use with a loop cutaway except you have the press the button before pulling the chincup off.

This is a very dangerous claim you are making - saying the helmet is very easy to get rid of without a cutaway system. I've made about 180 jumps with my FF2 and like it, but for you as a dealer to say what you did above is downright dangerous. Removing a camera helmet by pressing on a ratchet clip (which is under pressure) is not nearly the same motion as removing it with a well designed cutaway system.

FWIW I bought a Bonehead chincup for my FF2 (it came with a strap). Subsequently 2K did offer me one of their new chincups with ratchet free of charge - their after sales customer service is good.

Will

You are definately right that systems where all you have to do is pull a cutaway loop would be much easier to use than taking off the ratchet. 2k does call their ratchet chin cup a "quick release ratchet chin cup" though, and they have the loop cutaway system in the works. I just think people sometimes feel that simply taking off the helmet is impossible by releasing the chincup. You are probably right that I shouldn't have said that it is "very easy" to get off, but it is a widely accepted method of cutting a helmet away. I'd also recomend that if you buy any kind of helmet with any kind of release procedure that you practice cutting it away under a load. Thank you for pointing this out and let me correct myself. The chin cup may not be very easily removed but you can do it in an emergency situation. You should also practice this on the ground under a load with you head being thrown around so you know what could happen to you in the air. Give yourself extra altitude, know your procedures and be safe out there.

edited to add: The more I think about it, it should also be said that no matter what camera helmet or release system you have, you may end up with a situation so bad that you end up paralyzed or dead and you may not be able to do anything about it. Camera flying is dangerous, but its important to take all the precautions that you can.

>First off I usually recommend the FF2 over the FFX. The FFX is a little
> cheaper, but I think the immediate access you get with the FF2 is worth
> the extra $15-$20.

I was shortly going to order the FFX as my first camera helmet, as from the picures I have seen, it looks like there is slightly less to snag on the outside than with the FF2..?
Am I wrong?

I dont consider that camera access is going to be a major issue for me, but please tell me if anyone has found access difficult with the FFX?

Thanks
MikeA

I dont consider that camera access is going to be a major issue for me, but please tell me if anyone has found access difficult with the FFX?

Hi Mike, I jump the FF2, one of my mates jumps the FFX. We both mostly freefly (I recently started filming FS). Changing batteries and firewiring stuff between jumps is very easy for me, not so for him. The easy access is a major bonus on the FF2. Also, what if you decide a year or two from now you want to start filming tandems or FS? Mounting stills on FFX is no problem, but taking the camera out of the helmet every time you want to change batteries will be a hassle.

Will

Got the FF2 few weeks ago. I ordered the camera using the services from CBurket and everything arrived in time and he answered to all my questions...

I put the .3 redlens from waycool on a PC 101 and I don't see any part of the helmet. The lens is even a liittle bit under the cover of the camera!... ( We may see some part of the helmet in photo mode. It seems the view is wider in this mode. )

Yof

Whenever you want to do anything to the camera with the FFX then it needs to come out, particularily when you have wide angle lenses on it makes it a little awkward. Would definitley say that the extra $$$ is worth it.

Dave

Hi there

I've had a FFx for about a year now and have found that the helmet has been very comfortable. As others have already said, getting to the camera can be a pain, but it seems to be very safe in terms of being "snag-free" - almost nothing to snag a riser on !!!

We tried a PC101 with a diamond 0.3 in the helmet last year and couldn't see the helmet in the video ...

As I mentioned, it is worth considering how often you want to access the camera because it's pretty awkward if you want to review every jump. In fact I've now got 2 camera helmets - a cookie "monster" with a d-box for videoing tandems (which I'm learning to do at the moment) and my FFX for gen freeflying ...

Ps It's good to ask questions (usually !!)

James

I have flown a FFX for about 3 months. Love it. Easy to firewire without removing it. Also, can use the telephoto without removing it from helmet. Have a little problem with sighting it, no way to adjust that I can find, up and down. Service is great, they respond and follow up. Would recommend to anyone