spencer

2K FFX V Bonehead

Is it easy to put in and take out the video camera on this helmet, as the camera has to be fixed in place from inside the helmet. Is this alot of hassle when filming tandems and scenery as this is best done holding the camera by hand and getting the shots, much better than having to point the helmet everywhere.
would the bone head with a flat side and top and
a D box be a better bet.
Thanks Eddie.

Is this alot of hassle when filming tandems and scenery as this is best done holding the camera by hand and getting the shots

At 60 jumps, I HOPE you're referring to standing on the ground and shooting tandems just for fun.

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

Hi Spencer

As it has already been pointed out, I presume you're not videoing tandems after 60 odd jumps. But if you want to buy a helmet now so you can video tandems etc later here's my humble opinion:-

I have a 2K composites FFx (and I'm based in Taupo for the next few weeks if you want to see one).

If you need to take the camera in and out a lot (to view the footage after each jump) then it can be a pain.

It's easier to access the video camera when it's in a d-box if you need to download or view the footage. I have also just bought a Cookie camera helmet with a D box which is made in OZ. This helmet is much better for tandem use. Plus it's made in Oz and is quite reasonably priced ...

Drop me a PM or an email at [email protected] if you want to come and see the helmets ...

blue skies

James

First I'll admit I'm a dealer for 2k and I jump one of their helmets so I may be slightly biased. I will say that all the helmets mentioned out there are good helmets, it just depends on what is right for you. I usually recomend the FF2 over the FFX because the price isn't that much higher and the benefits are really nice. Taking the camera in and out is very easy with the FF2 and you can even flip the door open and check your settings or check where you tape is on jump run. With a little work I rotated my video camera in the FF2 up slightly for belly flying. The new ratchet chin cups are standard and are also very nice. I would suggest an FFX if you want something for freeflying. It is sighted in for freeflying and I can't personally find a snag point on it (or the FF2). This all being said, check everything out, compare prices, and choose what you think might suit you best. I do agree with the others that you should wait for around 200 jumps to start flying video.

I have an ffx that I just recently started jumping with. I find that through the hole on the back of the camera compartment I can actually have the viewfinder on my pc101 extended and am actually able to use the viewfinder while it is still installed in the helmet. Hope this helps.

It is sighted in for freeflying and I can't personally find a snag point on it (or the FF2).

This is true so long as you don't use a wide angle lens. FWIW I use an FF2 and am happy with it. (Am buying Flat top pro though - more mounting options/space). But will definitely keep using my FF2 for freeflying.

Will

This is true so long as you don't use a wide angle lens. FWIW I use an FF2 and am happy with it. (Am buying Flat top pro though - more mounting options/space). But will definitely keep using my FF2 for freeflying.

If you use a lense from Max Cohn or Way cool industries, there are still no snag points because the lenses are so thin.

If you use a lense from Max Cohn or Way cool industries, there are still no snag points because the lenses are so thin.

For what it's worth, I suggest you look at my review of the RAWA helmet I just purchased. It covers both issues, the D box covers the camera to include wide angle lens and the helmet comes with all the accesories to mount flat top video , be it another PC or still camera, to include two types of mounting platforms and a bite switch. All of the drilling is already done all you need to do is supply the camera and a head to put the helmet on. Allof this comes for what you'd pay for just aboutn any makers helmet by itself. Just some thing to consider before yoou drop a lot of loot. I included pictures in that thread as well. Hope that helps you out.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING