JayhawkJumper

favorite film/paper

from the film i've shot... Fuji seems to do better for action/sports and great green/blue tones, but kodak does well for portraits and warmer skin tones (the red side of things). :)
Paper wise... AGFA seems to be of consitent quality, but Ilford rocks if the $$ is there to spend on it.
matt

Just my opinion and I haven't shot actual "film" for about a year now, but . . .

For slides of jumpers against a nice blue sky, it's really difficult to beat Provia.

For slide portraits, it's almost impossible to beat Kodachrome.

HERE is a small article on the subject.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Just my opinion and I haven't shot actual "film" for about a year now, but . . .

For slides of jumpers against a nice blue sky, it's really difficult to beat Provia.

For slide portraits, it's almost impossible to beat Kodachrome.

HERE is a small article on the subject.

Just got my print enlargements (from Provia slides) back today and god, their AWESOME! Can't wait to show John Fleming and Mike....er....Mike....and Kiowa what we got! :P

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

Out of curiousity, how did you have the slides printed? I have used Type R which look pretty good, but I love cibachrome, but the price sucks.

Has anyone here heard of the new paper called Kodak Metallic? If you haven't seen it, it is probably the most amazing photo paper I have ever seen. I can't even describe how cool images look on it. They are extremely high gloss and metallic and reflective in a sense, but something you have to see for yourself.

Took the slide strips to a custom photo lab I just found in town. They do great work and can have my stuff ready as quickly as I need. 'Bout time, as the last lab I used took a week to get my stuff back to me! :S

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

Kodak Portra is my film of choice . I mainly shoot portra nc/uc in 400 . I shoot tons of this this film in medium format and 35mm with outstanding results . For a iso 400 film , the grain is fine . The one Fuji film I do shoot a lot of is reala 100 . I mainly use reala when I know the prints are going to be 8x10 or larger .

I recently ordered a few Epson printers and am going to shoot on film and digitize the negs and print on a Epson printer . Epson is producing some very good paper to go with their printers . As far as paper from a lab , it does not really matter as I can tell no difference in the quality of the prints . If you have not seen the quality coming out of a Epson printer , you really need to check it out . In my opinion it rivals conventional lab printing .

I love the super high color saturation of Fuji Velvia.

It is 50 ISO, so it doesnt do well in low light situations. It is great stuff!!

jeff D-16906

Here is a question on a side note. For the people that shoot Velvia. Where is a good place to get it? I only know of one place and it's $10 a roll. Is this good/bad? I worry about ordering online, cause I've always been told to keep this stuff in the refrigerator.

I have only shot a few roles in the air, but for film, I usually buy Fuji 100/400 speed in bulk from Walmart. As far as pro slide film, I usually order bulk roles from B&H. They keep it cold there and it gets to you pretty quick to temp isn't a big deal. I ordered a few hundred feet of provia when I was shooting concerts, but now I just buy a role at a time for the $10 price because I don't shoot it much anymore. Print film would be better to shoot on a regular basis so you can have the forgiveness of exposure latitude, but if its a really cool jump that might get published you might want to pull out the velvia or provia.