PhreeZone

Service charge for fun jumpers

Now that we've seen what people charge for teams I'm wondering what you charge to go film just fun jumpers on a normal weekend. Granted stuff like making copies of the tape for 16 people probally is probally charged a bit more then just showing the tape to a 2 way that was working on skills. This is just to film, no stills or anything extra in it.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

It's an "interesting" question.

I usually don't have any real need to jump zoo, er, I mean "fun" loads. I used to do it for slot when I had a deal with the drop zone that covered it, but I don't think anyone at my dz has that anymore.

I will sometimes jump on a special event load (200th jump, birthday, ect.) on spec because I can usually get folks to buy 8x10s or something from those. I'll occasionally jump on a sunset load or tracking dive just for my own amusement or artistic endevor.

I really think I stopped jumping on the "fun" loads because, in the long run I was finding it to be kind of a waste of my time. For the most part, I want to jump on loads that build and look cool -- just like most other experienced jumpers. If it doesn't look like it's going to build, I usually have a difficult time convincing myself it's worth the pack job.

Lastly, the one thing that REALLY pisses me off is when a good jump does come around, I shoot it and then the jumpers are cheap when it comes to paying for dubs and stuff. Everyone wants a dub NOW, but they're unwilling to kick in $2 bucks for my time and effort. REALLY a disincentive to want to do stuff with them.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

I've had video on lots of my jumps, and I've never paid for it. Usually it's a camera flyer wandering over and saying, "Hey, what are you guys doing? Can I tag along and film?" It's not because they're not busy; it's because they like flying camera, and watching other skydivers enjoy and benefit from their video gives them pleasure. It's a lot of fun to gather around after a jump and laugh and shout over what went wrong and right.

For competitions and students, of course they get paid. But not every jump must be a mercenary one. We do a lot of SCRs out here, and every jumper pays his or her own slot, including the camera guy. We love doing SCRs.

My dropzone turns a lot of students, and has a tight group of fun jumpers. I guess Perris is a different world.
Skydiving is for cool people only

I look at RW loads as being able to give back to the people that have taught me things. Going out and flying camera all day is a lot of fun. It helps bring the skill level of all the jumpers up by being able to see their jumps on video and see their mistakes and how to fix them. I'll pick up my slot since most times I won't let them pay for video simply since if people were'nt willing to help me out when I was coming up and getting my first 100 jumps I would have probally quit. Flying "zoo" loads is just one form of giving something back to others in my eyes. If I had to pay to get video of all my jumps I would never do it. I've only ever paid for video on 3 jumps out of the hundreds I've had videoed, and 1 was a tandem, 2 was a video and stills of my after graduating and 3 was a special 2 way for me.

Plus getting footage of funnels makes for great video to play with :ph34r:

Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

I've had video on lots of my jumps, and I've never paid for it. Usually it's a camera flyer wandering over and saying, "Hey, what are you guys doing? Can I tag along and film?" It's not because they're not busy; it's because they like flying camera, and watching other skydivers enjoy and benefit from their video gives them pleasure. It's a lot of fun to gather around after a jump and laugh and shout over what went wrong and right.

And I still do that sometimes! I have to tell you though, it sure does make me feel a bit better if after a nice skydive, when we're all sitting around debriefing and 10 people want dubs, that a couple of bucks gets passed my way for the effort.

Think about it. Making 10 dubs of a skydive can -easily- take up 15 to 20 minutes of the camera flyers time -- usually at sunset while everyone else is heading toward the bar. Then after all the dubs are done with, he has to track folks down and make sure they get their tapes.

If you're not showing some sort of financial or other type of appreciation toward this camera flyer -- it very quickly becomes a real disincentive for him to even want to jump with you. Seriously.

On the other hand, I've shot 8x10s of some folks, printed and given it to them as presents simply because I like the fact they work at the drop zone -- some of these folks work for damn near minimum wage. That's my way of showing them appreciation.

Not every jumps needs to be "mercenary" but then again, not all of them should be thankless either.

Just take a look at the poll and I think you'll see it's not an uncommon practice to see some sort of renumeration.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

A little clarification for my case:$

As I'm new to freefall photo/video-graphy, my objective on the jump is to learn or improve on something.

It'd be nice if my guinea pigs chipped in $1 or 2 for the edit/dubbing time or CD-ROM even. But I need subjects and I need footage to get good at camera flying. For developing my iMovie skills too.

So I treat each jump as a class exercise. I welcome feedback for my shoot, while I hope that my footage has helped as feedback for someone else.

The thing that sucks about shooting video is that I don't get to be in it. But I get to relive the jump all over again.

If I walk up to a group that is on a load and say, "do ya'll want video?" I cover my slot, but don't expect free dubs...

If a group walks up to me and says, "can you do video for xyz?" it depends on whats going on... it might just be slot and it might be slot + some cash...

if a group covers my slot I will usually give one dub for debrief, additional dubs are $ (the group can fight about who gets the dub).

Josh
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. - Edmund Burke

It's an "interesting" question.

I usually don't have any real need to jump zoo, er, I mean "fun" loads. I used to do it for slot when I had a deal with the drop zone that covered it, but I don't think anyone at my dz has that anymore.

I will sometimes jump on a special event load (200th jump, birthday, ect.) on spec because I can usually get folks to buy 8x10s or something from those. I'll occasionally jump on a sunset load or tracking dive just for my own amusement or artistic endevor.

I really think I stopped jumping on the "fun" loads because, in the long run I was finding it to be kind of a waste of my time. For the most part, I want to jump on loads that build and look cool -- just like most other experienced jumpers. If it doesn't look like it's going to build, I usually have a difficult time convincing myself it's worth the pack job.

Lastly, the one thing that REALLY pisses me off is when a good jump does come around, I shoot it and then the jumpers are cheap when it comes to paying for dubs and stuff. Everyone wants a dub NOW, but they're unwilling to kick in $2 bucks for my time and effort. REALLY a disincentive to want to do stuff with them.

I hear yaaaaa dude and have those same feelings. but this is going to be a getting back to my root's year because of those feelings. skydiving for fun and not profit.

...thinks we should get kind of appreciation, some people just want the video and don't really care about the amount of time you can spent dubbing, and also...just make a little calculation...how much you spend to get your helmet ready to shoot still and video, I like to get a bit more then the slot and the pack job....