Deuce

It's here. And it's super cool.

Q, Josh, anybody else who's using a 10D, or D60. What are your basic settings? Aperature priority 500, ASA200 like with film?

White balance adjustment is new, too.

I don't even have my lens and cable yet, cause it was supposed to take 2 to 4 weeks to get here, and it came in 6 days.

I'm glad I've been jumping a Nikon N70, cause the weight will be about the same. I really like the matte finish on the body.

For once I'm glad it's going to be raining this weekend cause I won't be able to jump this thing without the lens and cable anyway.

Whoo Hoo! You -know- you're gonna have to let me play with it when you come down to Perris next month, JP. :P

No, really, this is cool. Perhaps -next- year's tax refund will sport me an even newer model (and lighter one, too) then.

Until then, all I'll be able to do is drool.

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

There's going to be a LOT of stuff you're going to have to get used to with the new camera, but the basics remain the same.

ASA 200 & Tv @ 1/500th will get you started for freefall.

White balance, for outdoors, you should select the Sunlight setting. NEVER choose the auto white balance setting. Always choose the appropriate setting yourself.

Decide what colorspace you want to work in too. On the 10D you have a couple of options I think. I'm stuck with sRGB, but if I had my choice I'd want Adobe 1998. NEVER, ever, ever adjust the colors of your originals -- copies only. For that matter, you probably won't want/need to adjust the colors all the way to printing if you are letting the embedded color profiles run the show.

When you send in to magazines, they'll want the original files and not color corrected ones.

More later, when I haven't been up for a huge number of hours. I'm hitting the sack now and back into work at 0130. Yeach!
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

More later, when I haven't been up for a huge number of hours. I'm hitting the sack now and back into work at 0130. Yeach!

Pooh Bear likes early morning hours? :P When you see him next, tell him I have Eeyore as a patient at work these days. No, shit, he really sounds like Eeyore! And he knows it. B| His demeanor is like him too! Kinda freeky, but cool at the same time.

Ever read the "Tao of Pooh"?

ltdiver

"For once I'm glad it's going to be raining this weekend cause I won't be able to jump this thing without the lens and cable anyway."

Hey Deuce, why don't you use the wet weekend to go out and about and play with your camera?
I mean experiment with various settings, light conditions, fast and slow moving subjects etc.
I'm pretty sure the camera will record settings, so you don't even have to take note of apertures, priorites etc....
Knowing your camera intimately will ultimately make you a better photographer.B|

--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson

***ASA 200 & Tv @ 1/500th will get you started for freefall.

White balance, for outdoors, you should select the Sunlight setting. NEVER choose the auto white balance setting. Always choose the appropriate setting yourself.

Hmm... Lot's of usefull info... I'm using a D60 myself and learned a lot from Craig O'Brien when I worked with him at the Thai Sky Festival.
I use the Tv and 1/500th, but why do you use 200 ASA ?

I saw Craig using manual White Balance too, I'm going to give that a try.

Really LOVE my Sigma 15mm Fisheye and I want to try the Sigma 14mm Aspherical(non-curving) too.

Thank's for the usefull info ! :-)

Ok, all these silly TV stations are up and running. Time for some goofin' off.

I use the Tv and 1/500th, but why do you use 200 ASA ?

Because it gives an entire f/stop more depth of field without sacrificing much of anything in the way of noise. I found it to be a good compromise on the D60. According to dpreview.com, signal to noise is even a bit better on the 10D so, I'd be tempted to set it at ASA 400 for some experimental jumps just to see what that looked like as well, but for certain ASA 200 is more than acceptable.
quade -

I've been shooting mine on Tv at anywhere from 1/250-1/500 depending on the light... I generally shoot on ASA 100, but I will adjust that based on the light as well... I've been doing alot of experimenting lately, using completely manual settings, different WB settings, etc... take advantage of any time you have to play with the camera on the ground so you can see what different settings will give you... good luck.

Josh
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. - Edmund Burke

Pooh Bear likes early morning hours?

Nobody in his right mind likes these hours, but it's TV and sometimes ya just gotta do what ya gotta do.

Tao of Pooh? I have a copy, but I'm really more of a fan of the originals of both Pooh and the Tao and I don't really see the need for combining the two.
quade -

Josh -- you doing any fillflash stuff with an external flash unit like the 550EX? I've been fooling around for several weeks with mixed results for sunset swooping shots. Very difficult to nail down.
quade -

I've been playing with the 550EX... also mixed results... mostly for ground stuff... I did have a shot in Parachutist a few months ago that I shot with the flash... a "sunset" FF exit... I don't have a good mount for it yet so I haven't been jumping it alot...

Josh
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. - Edmund Burke

Tao of Pooh? I have a copy, but I'm really more of a fan of the originals of both Pooh and the Tao and I don't really see the need for combining the two.

Mornin'! :)
Combining the two can give the visual part of the brain input for those who learn this way. For example, there is a favorite book of mine that you know, "Personality Tree" by Florence Litteaur. This is written for adults. Then there is another book that teaches the very same traits but uses animal subjects so (kids) can learn.

For example.
Sanguine = a monkey
Choleric = a tiger
Phelgmatic = a bear (in hibernation)
Melancholy = (don't remember this one)

Anyway. Yes, the originals are the best, but some people learn better with visual input. Kind of like using a camera to capture exactly what we want so others can understand and enjoy. :)
ltdiver