RevJim

TRV 19

...and it has only a black and white viewfinder.

Which -IS- true, but not a deal breaker as far as I'm concerned. I've looked through a jillion B&W viewfinders in my day and it's certainly not a big deal. How often do you really use it for skydiving anyway?

Call me a newbie or old fashion, but I like to see the total composition of a picture when doing ground footage of a tandem subject. It helps with developing the mood and coordinating with the music selection (which I try to find out ahead of time), so the sequencing comes together with the music.

btw, I haven't laughed so hard in a long time as when I clicked on this link tonight...Dance. :)
ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

Oh, and btw, the viewfinder sees in only black and white???

Beyond what quade said about how often you get to look through the viewfinder while skydiving... I prefer to shoot with a B&W viewfinder. I shoot for a living and find that judging contrast, brightness and focus is easier/faster with B&W vs. Color viewfinders. A friend loaned me an XL1 to play with when they first came out and it's stock color viewfinder drove me nuts. [:/] Just my 2 cents.
matt

Lori,
It has a LANC port....I asked and was shown it earlier today on a real live TRV19.
There is no way they could sell a camcorder without a microphone....what parent would buy that? ;)
If there is anything people would like me to check out, please give me a list and I'll go down to the Sony Store again in the next couple of days. I can check out the focus question, etc.

--
Murray

"No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: the officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets." - Edward Abbey

I agree that B&W is easier to shoot through, but the LCD is used mostly for looking at video, not for shooting.

As far as higher resolution CCD's go, there is a difference in the final output of single-chip Sony cameras.

The difference is in color depth and light sensitivity. The larger CCD in the PC120/TRV30, for example is a tad crisper, with colors a bit richer than the PC101 we sometimes use (because it is so small/light).

Admittedly, the difference is not big, and if you don't look at them side-by-side on something that takes advantage of the full signal (like a computer), very few can tell the difference.

With someone like Quade as a perfect example, you use the equipment that best fits your needs. If the minimum needs/cost effectiveness of your still camera come in the form of a $2000 digital SLR, then that's what you put on your head - and if a $800 video camera fills the checklist, then why not?

The laws of physics are strictly enforced.

. . . as when I clicked on this link tonight...Dance.

Yeah, but have you seen the thing in da bag?

Yep, just saw it! Freakin' Awesome! Your character's so cool!!

ltdiver

Update:
Finally got my hands on one. One word, TINY! This thing isn't much wider than a PC series, and it's really short too.
LANC is there, bonus!
Walmart has them on line for $596.68, but I got mine from my local Walmart (nothing beats walk in service, and local returns) for $549.95.

Sweet!
It's your life, live it!
RB#684 "Corcho", ASK#60, Muff#3520, NCB#398, NHDZ#4, C-33989, DG#1

Does it have 'video/audio' in? When I looked at one earlier this week it looked like it didn't, but couldn't try it out there to see.

Sometimes it's important to import from VHS back to the camera when editing is needed for a friend.

ltdiver

I'll let ya know when I pick it up (Layaway). Wish I had the cash to buy it outright, but the wife said payments were the only way I'd be able to get it right now.

I remember seeing the video out, but I honestly can't remember a video in, unless it's a 2 way port.

I tell ya, that thing is TINY! Palm sized! I'm still amazed with that.
It's your life, live it!
RB#684 "Corcho", ASK#60, Muff#3520, NCB#398, NHDZ#4, C-33989, DG#1

THought I would throw my 2 cents in. I picked up a TRV 19 until I got it home and noticed a major thing it is missing for me. That is all the overlap fades and such I use to make a greta tandem video without haveing to spend major time editing after. The 19 only has a fade from black, bounce, and 2 other useless ones, the 22 has all the good ones, dot, wipe, monotone, overlap. Virtually the same camera but for those of you used to them in your old camera as I was will miss them in the 19. The $100.00 upgrade was worth it for me, plus memory stick for those of us yet to go get an amazing digital still camera. Just thought I would throw that out there.

~Chachi

I just wanted to add that I own a TRV-19, and though I don't use it for skydiving videography, I think I might be able to add some info that some of you may be interested in:

The TRV-19 & 22 have a 1/4" CCD, and the higher end models (TRV-33, etc) have a 1/4.7" CCD. This translates to BETTER low light performance in the cheaper versions as a larger CCD == more light. Sure the 1/4.7" CCD in the more expensive cameras is higher res, but that does you no good except for stills. The lower res 1/4"CCD does better video, and that's what we want it for right?

The TRV-19 does not have analog video input, period. You have to upgrade the the 22.

The TRV-19 does have mic input.

I'm not sure about LANC. I know it has firewire and USB, but I havn't seen any port on it labeled LANC. This doesn't mean it's not there, but I just havn't looked for it.

TRV-22 does have more fades & other effects, but was a non-issue for me being that I edit via PC over firewire.

Compared to other palm-sized MiniDV cameras I've tried, it has much less motor noise being recorded on the tape. It's still there, but not NEAR as noisy as a Canon.

Also, I've never seen a pro-level camera with a color viewfinder, so I don't know what the big deal is. You're not going to see very accurate colors through the viewfinder anyways, so it's more important to get lighting & composition correct, which is easier in B&W.
---
Michael Teator
Lexington, Kentucky

Also, I've never seen a pro-level camera with a color viewfinder, so I don't know what the big deal is. You're not going to see very accurate colors through the viewfinder anyways, so it's more important to get lighting & composition correct, which is easier in B&W.

I prefer the b/w viewfinders to the colour ones i've seen. The picture looks crisper and lighting beter to judge.... Just my 0.02...