murrays

iMovie 3.02 Released

Just spotted an update to iMovie 3 on Versiontracker. The comments are positive regarding a speed increase. Will download after supper and check it out.
--
Murray

"No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: the officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets." - Edward Abbey

I just spent a few minutes messing with it. On my high end (Dual G4 gig) system, it's fine (but it was before, too).
It still feels kind of slow on my laptop (400 mhz G4), though. Some weird skipping on the audio track. Video is ok, but there are still a few weird glitches slipping in. Bummer. [:/]

-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Tom,
I just tried it out as well and experienced lots of audio and video skipping. I exited iMovie, reopened the same project and it was fine after that. (800mhz G4 iMac)
It seems a bit faster moving clips around but I have only spent a couple of minutes on it and the project I have loaded is only about 5 minutes long. I want to try it with an hour long project to see how it seems.
--
Murray

"No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: the officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets." - Edward Abbey

I'm running OS X 10.1.4, so I can't use it unless I pay $120 for the Jaguar upgrade[:/]

I think the Jaguar upgrade is worth getting..regardless. It's faster than 10.1.x and better in other ways as well. I'm glad I upgraded.
But, to my mind, the major reasons for having iMovie3 are the improved audio capabilities and the Chapters feature. If you can use an audio editor to do what you want in the sound department and aren't burning DVDs then iMovie 3 and the need to upgrade to Jaguar isn't as compelling.
--
Murray

I'm just now goofin' with it at work -- after hours research.

Let me know how it works this time. As you know, I'm a bit gun-shy after my first download of iMovie3. Working with iMovie2 again, but would like some of the features the new version has as well.

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

On the dual 800mhz G4 at work it was working really well. I haven't played with it yet on my 500mhz G3 iBook or iMac at home.

You'll have to re-install 3.01 first, because 3.02 is only an updater and they assume you'll already have 3.01 on your computer.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Also HERE.

Seems that Andy Ockrim has discovered a difference between machines? (scroll 1/2 way down the thread to read his response to Guy). Do you have that conflict difference between your home computers and your work G4?

ltdiver

I was running iMovie 3.02 yesterday on my 2-year-old, G3, 500mhz iBook for the team debrief tape you saw running in the trailer. I'll admit this isn't the most complex piece of work ever done -- it's just a couple of titles and clips and I'll admit that there was not audio involved -- but it certainly seemed to be working just fine for me.

Wednesday night is my night to fool around with the team tape (best of, out takes, ect.) so I'll fool around a bit more with it then. Maybe start adding in some music and maybe I'll see what this out of sync audio issue is then.

The one thing I -have- noticed that's really annoying is that the titles aren't centered.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

I upgraded to 10.1.5 and the best I could do with iMovie is 3.0.1:)
I like the new interface better. And the new features like being able to incorporate pictures as a movie (I know iMovie 2 could do this, just not as straight forward:P), definitely worth it.

I could upgrade to 3.0.2 but it's recommended that I also upgrade to QuickTime 6. That's another $29.99[:/] or half a ringsight whichever comes first:D

for sure. it's all about 10.23 I'm glad that I "switched" after they dumped 9.2. that OS rubs me the wrong way. but the liquid dock is really nice.

Accelerate hard to get them looking, then slam on the fronts and rollright beside the car, hanging the back wheel at eye level for a few seconds. Guaranteed reaction- Dave Sonsky

2-year-old, G3, 500mhz iBook

G4 500 powerbook

Well, seems that a couple of notebooks really like it. :S

Please keep us informed on how the desktops integrate it.

ltdiver

I have been messing around with it since I downloaded 3.0.2... the first release sucked so bad I sent a really nasty e-mail to Apple.. I'm sure like many others, but the new release seems a bit better. I'm running a 17" 800Mz iMac with superdrive. iMovie is much more stable (although still pretty slow). I burned an hour long video (2 movies from imovie, a few menus and some stills). This time I let iDVD finish encoding the movies before I tried to burn them to DVD... I think that may have resolved the problem with the audio getting out of sync. End result was a very nice finished DVD of the year with the kids, and our skydiving adventures. Still hoping they will release a performance patch for both iMovie and iDVD.
Ross

I burned an hour long video (2 movies from imovie, a few menus and some stills). This time I let iDVD finish encoding the movies before I tried to burn them to DVD... I think that may have resolved the problem with the audio getting out of sync.
Ross

Interesting...my first impression is that the video renders before the burning starts so it shouldn't make any difference whether you wait until the rendering has finished before telling iDVD to burn a disc...but who the heck knows with these computers!

The other way to eliminate the sync problem is to export it as a "self-contained" movie in the "export to Quicktime" options. (I think this is the correct terminology - I'm at work and can't check it) This creates a QT file that you can drag into iDVD and iDVD will create the Chapters, etc that you have set up in iMovie. Very neat actually as you can export 4 different movies - say of 4 different trips - , drag them into separate folders in iDVD and you will get the Play Movie and Scene Selection options in each folder...allows for a bit more flexibility in organizing your DVD.

The problem is that the file created is huge! I started to do this on an hour long video and had to kill it because I was running out of hard drive space. My guess is that an hour would create a file of about 30gb! 15gb of iMovie file, 30 gb of QT file and 5-6 gb of iDVD file and there isn't much left of a 60gb hard drive! (I really need to buy an external Firewire drive soon)

I'm disappointed that Apple hasn't fixed the sync problem...it is very irritating. 3.02 seems quite a bit faster to me on my iMac G4 800, 768mb Ram. I haven't had any crashes or problems like a lot of other people have experienced. I do think they are paying attention....and hopefully will have another update soon.
--
Murray