voodew1

helmet camera.com bullet cams

Has anyone tried any of the bullet cameras. The good ones are 480 lines res. and plug into the a/v port of the camera which renders the cam eye useless from what I have found. Ordered one but have not used it yet. It has interchangeable lens wide or not so wide. I plan on putting the trv into a belly mount pouch and mounting the camera on my foot, chest strap or where ever. Anybody else used one?

The pimp hand is powdered up ... say something stupid

Its been discussed before http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=238446#238446

Its generally thought to be a BAD idea to have wires running all over your body and helmet that in the case of a snag can not be cleanly ejected. If your spending the money to get a camera, get one that can be cleanly ejected in the case of an entanglement, having a wire connecting your helmet to your body is asking for issues. Hand switches fell out of favor for stills for a lot of the same reasons.

Side note on the foot mount, it seems there are only a very few timited times that the footage from ther eis worth anything since aiming is so hard and a mis step on langing can break the camera running with it. And it taks a superwide angle lens to get a view of anything other then your knees.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

I just wanted to comment on the hand still switch comment. If you use a hand still switch it is important to have a plug in between your helmet and where it goes into your jumpsuit. It you are going to use any kind of camera on your head with a wire attached to it you need to have a plug that will pull off if you eject the camera. For mine I buy a rca cable and cut it in half. I then plug the ends together in the middle so that I have exposed wire on each side. I wire one end to my switch and the other to the plug. I have it so the plug is just below the back of my helmet. I think this might be a not be possible with the video camera. It most likely has many more wires than two in its video connection.

"If you use a hand still switch it is important to have a plug in between your helmet and where it goes into your jumpsuit. "
Excellent advice.

"It most likely has many more wires than two in its video connection."
The ones here http://www.rfconcepts.co.uk/bullet_camera_systems.htm
come with an RCA, or phono type connector, however what everyone is missing is the fact that the thing needs a power supply, so you will have to rig up a 12 v battery in addition to the power required for your cam, or deck (sony video walkman type gv d200 or its digital cousin if you can still get hold of them). A deck is preferable to a cam as its less likely to get damaged and is less bulky than a cam (and I already have a portable dv deckB|).
If you need more connections for your breakaway system, you can by 'din' plugs and sockets (similar to s-video connectors) for about 1 1/2 bucks each, they come with up to 9 connectors, all you gotta do is wire them up.

edit to add...For foot mount angles, and other unusual, imaginative shots, I think Jussi Laine takes a lot of beating..http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/gallery/imageFolio.cgi?direct=Featured_Photographers/Jussi_Laine

--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson

Been there, done that. built a power supply from a bunch of AA rechargeables generating the 12v needed.

It worked just OK. I'd only recommend it for novelty shots, as the quality as compared to the current DV standard is lousy. (I was recording to my DV camera tucked away in a belly pouch)
Two wrongs don't make a right, however three lefts DO!