groundrushpull

camera helmets & snags

What amazes me is that there are camera helmet manufactures that are making boxes for "THEIR" helmets and after you mount it then you have to snag proof the damn thing. WOW! you pay $350 or so for it and still have to modify it to be safe!
I suggest checking out RAWA helmets. they are made in Brazil and I have been jumping one since may 2001 & ~ 600 jumps and no problems AND NO TAPE to "fill up the cracks"...just say no to crack!
You might contact DeLand dz in Fla. as to prices etc.
An AWESOME well thought out product

John Maggio

I like the FF2 stuff from some company in the UK too for the reduced snag hazards. Only thing is that it limits the flexibility you can have with a product. if you order a side mount you can't swap it over to a top mount later if you want to.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Here is a pic of the FF2 taken from their web-site : www.2kcomposites.com

I've got one, used it for about 150 jumps. As you can see it does have a flat top to mount another camera. These helmets are really strong. I wasn't happy with the chincup that came with mine (like the one in the pic) so bought a Bonehead chincup. I have recently heard from the manufacturers though that they have made a better one and will supply it to people unhappy with the old one.

The price for the FF2 is in the region of about £320 (about $480US).

Will

I talked to Fabian in DeLand and he said to email him [email protected] or email juliana se
at [email protected] and they should be able to help you. The new designs of the helmet I saw at the WFFC in rantoul are Kick Ass even better than mine. I can send a pic of mine but have to take it first as i dont video myself............

John Maggio

I love my Rawa, I've been meaning to do a write up of it since the Keys Boogie, but I just haven't been able to find the time.

The helmet has two internal audible holders, a VERY comfortable liner, and a comfortable chinstrap that has a protector over the excess strap.

The D-boxes are sized for individual cameras. I've seen some people that run the ultra-huge battery in theirs, and one guy who has a D-box that allows the camera to be mounted upright or upside down. The D-box is hinged at the top and held closed with an allen screw at the bottom (you can open and close the box with your fingers, no tools needed), and has an opening at the back to operate the camera on/off controls and record button. There is no lens exposed when the camera is mounted in the box, so there shouldn't be a problem with riser slap knocking a lens off. Also there is a hole in the front of the box to check that the camera is on.

The flat mount on top is nice, the helmet comes with a plate to mount a still camera, but also works well with a Stroboframe/Velbon/Bogen quick release system.

I don't remember what colors are offered, but I *believe* they have White, Black, and Navy Blue, with the option of a splatter finish of any other color(s). The finish is a gelcoat like on boats that doesn't scratch very easily at all

When I decided to order mine I got the guys email address from local people who have Rawa's (no website) and got in contact with the manufacturer. He was very nice and answered a million questions that I had. When I was ready to order I just had to send a measurement of my head (similar to measuring for a hat) and what I wanted on the helmet. When the order was finalized I was told that the helmet would take about three weeks to be manufactured and arrive, so I was very pleasantly surprised when I got it 9 days later. After I got the helmet I had a couple of questions about some extra things that were included and got very quick returns to my emails with information and pictures.

Overall, Very Cool helmet, great customer service

I'm sorry the pictures that are attached aren't very good quality, I took them in a hurry. If any more pictures are needed, let me know.

--
Hook high, flare on time

Top Mount Flat.jpg

Rawa Front.jpg

Rawa Right Side.jpg

Rawa Back.jpg

Rawa Chin Cup.jpg

Top Mount W Camera Plate.jpg

Rawa D-Box.jpg

Thanks for the pictures, nice integration of the d-box. What kind of pricing does the helmet have?

No prob, they didn't come out as well as I would have liked. Cost was $300. I was pretty happy, especially considering I was thinking about getting a BH Half-Rak (+D-box), but found out they were discontinued.

--
Hook high, flare on time

Yeah, I really like that. I have a Batrak, with Bonehead d-box. But as seen in another thread, I am not totally satisfied with the mounting options. That is a nice clean setup. I have more real estate on a Batrak, but not the $ to fill it up [:/]

--
All the flaming and trolls of wreck dot with a pretty GUI.

Thanks Pete for getting the pics out on the Rawa.
It saved me from taking them. especially since i have the old style. What pete says is what you will get with the product,service and support. although I would strongly recommend NOT using their mounting bracket for top mount camera.Shit look at the line snags there......Take a look at bogen quick release #BG3270 it is only ~$36.00 with shipping and you can mount it so there is nothing outside the normal top size of the helmet. You can even mount it "upside down" so when you are not jumping still camera there is just a rectangular plate-without the bar that locks the other plate(that part stays with the still camera)...you can go to www.adoramaphoto.com and check out the above...it is a really clean design and wont have all the snag point I saw in the pic with the plate you have...............;)
tkanks again Pete and say Hello to everyone at Skydive America....Maggio

John Maggio

Take a look at bogen quick release it is a really clean design and wont have all the snag point I saw in the pic with the plate you have...............;)

tkanks again Pete and say Hello to everyone at Skydive America....Maggio

Thanks for the advice. I'm not doing stills yet, when I do I will be using some sort of QR instead of the plate, I just threw it on for people to see, also thanks for the tip about mounting the QR upside down, haven't seen anybody do that yet.

Will tell everyone you said hi this weekend.

--
Hook high, flare on time

When I decided to order mine I got the guys email address from local people who have Rawa's (no website) and got in contact with the manufacturer

can you please post this contact? I would keen to have some details about the thing :P

Alain