Emmie

APS cameras vs SLR

I'm in the process of buying a stills camera. I know most people recommended the Rebel 2000. I also read a post where someone suggested an APS camera as an alternative. Are there advantages to an APS besides the smaller size and the price? Also, I don't know a whole lot about phototgraphy, so what are the advantages of an SLR when it comes to freefall photography, if any
Is anyone familiar with the Canon ELPH?
Thanks for your help.

if you want something superlight, APS will work. If you want good quality, the ability to change lenses, cheaper film developing, etc, go SLR.

Basically, APS is a gimmick created by Camera/Film companies to make processing/printing easier on them, and convince the general public they are getting "better" pictures by making it easier for the consumer. The film cartridge appears similar or slightly smaller in size, but trades some of that size for ease of use in the mechanisms in APS cameras that wind and unwind the film...

Reality is, APS is worse becuase the actual negative size is smaller. 35mm film is 24mm x 35mm (840mm^2) and APS negatives measure 16.7mm x 25.1mm (419.17mm^2). Therefore, the 35mm film negative has twice the negative area. the actual film is available in APS and 35mm in the same type/quality of film. So you will get twice the quality in the same size print out of a 35mm negative vs. and APS print, without cropping.
That's why wedding photographers use Medium Format (around 2.5 times the area of 35mm), in order to make enlargements, 8x10 or larger and have excellent quality.

If you want quick, light and easy, go APS. if you plan on enlarging photos to 5x7 or larger, and have a good eye for quality, go 35mm. i've seen good stuff come out of both.

(the "panoramic" setting is bogus too, on any 35mm camera, all panoramic does is crop of the top and bottom of the negative. The printers just print it larger. You're better off shooting a normal 35mm and enlarging to 8x10, then cropping by hand how you like...)

:)lew

I decided to hold off buying a camera for mysellf untill next year. The stills cam is going to be a christmas present for my boyfriend, who has alot more jumps than me.
Thanks everyone for clarifying the difference for me. I will go for a 35mm camera.

A fundamental issue is remotely releasing the shutter. I don't know if those ELPHs have the ability to do that.

Regularly available Elph's do not have a remote shutter release, but a friend of mine, Jason, modifies the Canon Elph for skydiving purposes with a bite switch or tongue switch. They are low profile and light for quick and cheap stills. You can check them out at http://skyelph.homestead.com/
http://www.exitshot.com

Well, I bought a Canon Rebel 2000, oggled at it, then wrapped it up and then sent it away to my boyfiend. One of the hardest things I had to do since I wanted a camera almost as badly as he did. So thanks for everyone's help. When I get one for myself, I'll go for a rebel as well, but for now, no camera for me:(

Well, I bought a Canon Rebel 2000, oggled at it, then wrapped it up and then sent it away to my boyfiend. One of the hardest things I had to do since I wanted a camera almost as badly as he did. So thanks for everyone's help. When I get one for myself, I'll go for a rebel as well, but for now, no camera for me:(

Well, you ARE a sweetheart! He's a lucky guy.

Murray

I thought I would post since I have a lot of experience using a Canon Elf for tandem videos. As far as quality goes, at regular sizes it is the same if both camera's lenses are equal. If you enlarge the photos you will begin to notice a small difference at the 8x10 size because of the before mentioned smaller negative area. The elf can be converted to use a remote switch so that is not an issue. For tandem videos I would recommend using an elf. It is very small and very light. That really helps out when you do a whole lot of tandem videos in one day. The way the film is set up makes it a lot easier for quick turnarounds. You do not have to pull out the film and line it up like 35 mm film. You open the case and just drop it in. The camera does the rest. As far as the slightly higher cost of developing, the tandem student is paying for that, so it does not often come into play, and when it does we are talking about a dollar more. All that being said, APS is not for everyone. If you are interested in getting your pictures in a magizine you definately want to go with a 35 mm due to its better qualities at larger prints. Also I only know of one SLR type APS camera and going with that large of a APS camera defeats the pupose. If you need a SLR type camera you already know you need an SLR type camera. I went to a 35 mm SLR when I decided I wanted to do a lot more with my pictures that just hand them over to a tandem student.

William