jose

PC101 or PC120, that is the question

Ok, so I have decided that I want to get a dig. camera for freefly.

The question is, so I go spend the extra cash for the 120, or just ge the 101.

All the difference I can see is the bluetooth technology that the 120 has.

Is there really a difference that would be worth that extra bunch of cash that I could spend on a D-box instead?

There are some differences in optics and image quality. There are also differences in body size. Differences in features may not be an issue for you, but image quality and camera size may be. If this is just for shooting "fun" video - not for paid video - the smaller, lighter 101 may be a better choice. If you want the higher quality image and you're willing to sacrifice a bit of size and weight the 120 might be your animal. If you can find it, the PC115 is nearly identical to the 120, without the Bluetooth interface.

The laws of physics are strictly enforced.

Ok, so you guys have made it obvious that the 101 isnt the one for me. What about the PC100? it has the Zeiss lens that is 37 mm wide just as the 120. Is its clairity the same as the 120? It is much more affordable than the 120. Tell me why that one isnt the one for skydiving.

The 100 was the original "big" PC series camera. The small ones had been out ofr a while then the 100 came around.

If you are looking for a multi purpose camera, shoot video and then shoot stills, the pc100 is about 3/4 megapixel and the 120 is 1.5 (??) megapixel. The 120 will shoot clearer pictures and larger ones then the 100. If the 100 wa a good enough deal I'd look at it, but the 120 has all the toys now.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

The PC101 is by no means a bad camera for camera flying. It's what I have and another guy on my DZ has the PC9 which is almost identical to the 101. The images are extremely crisp, clear and look great even when displayed on a big screen. The PC120 in my opinion doesn't offer as big a quality jump to make it worth the extra money. You aren't going to notice the quality difference on a TV anyway if you transfer the video to VHS or watch it on a regular TV. For instance, the PC9 has 500 lines of resolution, the 101 has 530, but the human eye will not notice this difference because 500 lines of resolution on a TV screen is already the maximum resolution that the TV will display. This is the same principal with the 120, although it may shoot higher quality, you won't be able to tell on a TV screen. It has a lot of other features you may want for other things but if your concern is quality and price the 101 would be the better choice. If you want a camera to shoot tandems, freefly etc... and show to your friends and sell to tandems, the PC101 would be fine. If you want any additional info, call B&H Photo/Video in New York. Their operators can answer any questions you have and will help you make the right choice for your needs.

When you decide what camera you want to buy, you might want to go to Sears and ask them about price matching, then go find a price on-line for an import with no accessories and have them match it with the full USA warrantied camera with accessories. I did this and got my 101 for $800. Otherwise, I'd buy from B&H or A&M photoworld. They are both good places in my experience.

Here is another question for those familiar with the PC120. I use a PC9, and just set the focus on infinity (the little mountains), and I'm good to go. It seems a little more complicated to lock the focus on infinity, when you get the infinity symbol and the mountains, the video of the jump doesn't work out quite right. Those of you with the 120, what do you do for the focus??

------------------------------------------
Getting banned isn't that bad......

2 Cents....
I've seen many Mini DV cameras....I've seen footage on the same screen from PC1 PC7, PC5, PC 100, PC101, PC110, TRV (from the new biger CCD, to the old "lower quality" CCD's).... And honestly, I havn't been able to see a quality difference. BEFORE you guys go nuts, I'm not talking about looking at it on a projection TV, or a HD... or anything like that. But side by side on a standard TV.... 500 lines, 530 lines 30mm, 37mm.... smaller CCD, Bigger.....I can't tell. And you sure as hell can't tell the difference when you dub it down to 400 lines on VHS. I'm not saying that there isn't a difference...I'm just saying i've never seen it. However, you can tell a BIG differnece in Hi-8 and Mini DV. If you are you are doing what %90 of us do for skydiving video.....Get the camera that you want based on price, size, avalibility. If you get a sony Mini DV I dont think you will be disapointed. If you are going to shoot broadcast video...that's another story.

Look for yourself, I think you would be hard pressed to really see a diffeernce on a 24 inch tv from a 6 year old PC7 and a new PC 120.

Z

Agreed, and well said. I know that the PC9 is old-school today, there are much better, etc... But every time I look at the DV video, it amazes me how clear and sharp everything is... I agree that you can take IMAX video and it will look the same as the PC9 video after you put it onto VHS tape... But those of us in this room love our video toys, and when there is something better, we want it...

------------------------------------------
Getting banned isn't that bad......

And sony LOVES your for it!!!
Ever notice that the cameras only last about 8 months before the new mod's come out? SO... you wait a little while for the camera to come out, maek sure it's good for jumping...wait on bonehead to make a DBox.... get it..and in 4 months you are old school.

Didn't sony used to offer a 3 chip PC style camera? what ever happend to it?

Z

Actually they have a few. I think you are thinking of the VX 2000. the whole sony line can be seen (current production ) here http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/eCS/Store/en/-/USD/SY_BrowseCatalog-Start;sid=zlaU_Zqvjt6Uzqdjmvie9tWjmlD6bCk1VTI=?Dept=dcc&CatalogCategoryID=uoIKC0%2eNfc0AAADxK%2e5RHlfJ

They used to make a 3 chip vertical camera... Imagine a $2000 3 chip camera that looks like a PC 100 (or 110, 120 etc).

hope i didn't screw that link up....

Z

Hey Peter,
I want to have the camera before Eloy, so if you have any angles on used one at the DZ or whatever, throw me a line. I'm lookin at the PC100 for right now, due to finances, but I would obviously like what Jim has got. Either way, will the D-box fit on my Nvertigo helmet?

Spinner
Co-founder Team Bella's

The 900 and 950 I think are the PC style cameras in question. They are both 3-CCD cameras, and produce excellent pictures. The real difference between the 3-CCD cameras in the past has been the color depth. 3 chip cameras separate the three colors coming into the lense and process them. The yield is higher resolution with better color. The problem with both of these cameras is the iris of the camera "floats." With a floating iris, the lens tends to flutter in skydiving, causing a very fubar'd image.

The VX cameras are exceptional cameras, but not often seen on helmets because of their price. They are rather heavy, and the gains in quality underweigh the gains in risk and physical demands of bulk and mass, in nearly all cases. This has become even more evident with the better chips found in the newer cameras.

I very often lay footage shot on older cameras on a timeline with footage recorded on a newer or 3-CCD camera. Even viewing this footage on a 640x480 preview window shows differences in quality. The differences are usually in color depth and luminance.

The improvements in CCD quality in the single-chip cameras (such as the TRV-30/50 and PC-115/120) have narrowed the gap in quality difference of the 3-chip cameras greatly.

This difference, realistically, is not noticeable between cameras like the 101 and the 120 - when viewed independantly. I like the size of the 101 - alot! I jump with the 120 because of the image. In some of my "mad-scientist" projects I use my PC-1 (pond swooping foot camera, water landing at the bridge, etc.). In other projects, the 101 is a camera of choice (downhill blades camera ball). When shooting ground footage, the 3-chip cameras are everywhere (VX2000 in the basket at Bridge day, 2 3-chip Canons at the Convention). And then there are the wireless cameras, the lipstick cameras, the panoramic cameras, and the 360 cameras, etc...

The laws of physics are strictly enforced.

Ok, so lets take it up another notch.

The PC110 is the same frame and ergos as the 115 and 120.

It has the 37mm lens and a pop up flash that is really handy to have when not skydiving. It produces really good light and color pics as I have seen on the 120.

It produces 1 megapixel stills as does the 100, but not the 1.5 as the 120. This is really no big deal to me as my current camera has 1 mp stills and they are really good clarity.

I know I might be being redundant here in these small differences, but I need to be sure about this, as the wife will not stand for another switch if this one isnt going to make me happy for some time to come.

As I see it, the 110 has everything that the 100 does and then some, smaller size, built in flash, smaller batt.,and the compatability with the new d-boxes being made.

I swear this will be my last consideration if you guys assist me in making the right decision.

Thanks
Spinner, Co-Founder of Team Bella's

Heres a link to the one that I am lookin at
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1395533856

I have a 110 and love it. It don't have the blue tooth or the 1.5 meg pics... and its ccd is only slightly lesser, but its a sweet camera that I've used for a year now. Its a great jumping camera.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com