XDV

Digital Canon D-30, D-60

Several folks are using the D30... the D60 is still in limited supply but there are a few out there with them (inlcuding me B|)... I've only mad a few jumps with it, but so far so good... you should be able to do a seach on digital stills and find more info in this forum... there are a few of my shots with the 60 in the "just droppin by" thread and some links to otheres... in short, great camera if you can afford one (and the lenses to go with)...

Josh
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. - Edmund Burke

I'll probably write a full review sometime after the Nevada State Record Boogie at the beginning of November.

By that time I will have had jumped it on two major events and will probably have found everything good and bad in my entire digital photography system. So far, the real key advantage is the speed of the entire workflow.

Until then . . . you can start looking at stuff HERE.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Quade - Nice pix. Just curious though. What kind of resolution and file format have you been shooting at? And how long is the delay between shots, if there is any, (assuming full batteries and good operating temps)? While I'm at it... what kind of lens do you use most of the time?
thanks, matt

On the D60.

3072x2048 pixels
Jpeg fine with nominal file size of about 2.5 meg
3 shots per second for 8 frames -- about 1 per second after that until the buffer flushes
20mm which works out to about 32mm for a "normal" 35mm camera

It's a way cool camera. Bring LOTS of money.

For a full review -- check out http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneosd60/.
quade -

As far as D-30/D60 where do they fit in with the Nikon D line?

About the only camera in the Nikon line that you could compare the D60 to would be the Nikon D100. I think the other professional Nikon cameras are just too dang big, heavy and expensive.

For a full review, go to http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond100/.

One thing in particular caught my eye and makes the D100 unsuitable for skydiving.

On the left side of the camera you'll find all of the D100's connectors behind one rubber cover. Inside is a DC-IN connector (for optional AC adapter), video out and a mini-USB port. Interesting to note that the D100 doesn't have a PC sync flash connector (something I feel it really should have) or an electronic remote control connector (although it does allow the physical screw-in type on the shutter release).

There -may- be a 3rd party solution to this like the DigiSnap stuff from Harbortronics. http://www.harbortronics.com, but I haven't really researched if that would work.
quade -

I've been using the D60 for almost 2 months now. It is amazing. Everything about it is a real camera but it's digital and not film. Like I've said before, I have 7 or 8 nikon lenses and I still went with the Canon D60 over the Nikon D100 and had to start building up my lens collection for canon because I think it is a better camera PLUS it has the PC flash sync port and the electronic release. I will post some photos from it as soon as I get my web-site running again. (My computer was destroyed by lightning and I'm just getting everything going again) Thanks-Tony H.
My O.C.D. has me chasing a dream my A.D.D. won't let me catch.

"(My computer was destroyed by lightning and I'm just getting everything going again) Thanks-Tony H."

Ouch... Just wondering. Was it in need of power protection or was it direct?
My father's DVD player got nuked recently. Probable cause, Lack of surge supressor during lightning storm. Result. He knows what he's getting for Christmas.
matt

It came through the networking cable. I had a good surge protector on it. This is the same lightning bolt that vaporized a car antenna and damaged a Porsche's electronics about 100 feet away from my computer. (The closest lightning I've ever seen). Luckily all of my information is still on the drives. My CR-RW didn't work right, and the mother board had problems so I bought a nice new one with lots of stuff! :) -Tony
My O.C.D. has me chasing a dream my A.D.D. won't let me catch.

I just started using the D-60 and am very impressed with its quality of pics. I use the canon S-900 printer and everything is great so far.The camera is pretty expensive but if used right should pay for its self in no time.
life is to short not to try almost everything once.

The conversion factor is 1.6. That is to say, if you use a 20mm lens on a D60, then it will behave like a 20x1.6 = or about a 32mm lens.

This pretty much checks out by my experience, but I've been told by another camera flyer that I respect that the conversion factor isn't quite right and the 20mm "seems to be more like a 24mm", but like I said, that not really my experience.

Right now, I'm shooting a 20mm, but I'd like to pick up a 15mm sometime after the first of the year just to fool around with a bit.

Oh, one more thing, OB has been fooling around with shooting stuff with an 80mm lens. He sits just outside of the formation, on level, and gets some really freekin' amazing closeups of folks faces. Really nice stuff.
quade -

In my experience... when I shot film I used a 28mm and a 35mm. On my d-60, a 20mm is less like the 28mm more like the 35mm... my 15mm fisheye is like a 24mm with a little of the FE effect... You need to be close to use this lens, but I have had some nice shots with it.

Josh
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. - Edmund Burke

Josh --

Yes. That's my experience too. The math for the conversion makes the 20mm lens on a D60 shoot like a 32mm on a 35mm film camera.

I was just relaying what another fairly well known freefall photographer was expressing over this last weekend. Personally, I disagree with him and his assessment of the situation, but I have to respect his results!
quade -