Nick

Wearing glasses in a ful face

I'd like to be able to wear glasses under a full face helmet but have tried some and the lens were touching my glasses, has anybody else managed to get a good fit.

Cheers

Nick
Gravity- It's not just a good idea, it's the LAW!

I'm personally not a huge fan of Full Face helmets, but I am a spectacle wearer...
Options:-

Have you tried flip up models like the Havoc, or the Oxygn?
Have you thought about prescription goggles, and wearing the helmet without the visor?
Have you tried getting spectacles with smaller frames?
--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson

Have tried the Oxygn and that was too tight, not tried a Havoc will try and get hold of one.

Didn't want to get presription goggles or new glasses to save money and have had contacts come out using goggles and am worried this would happen with a full face.

Nick
Gravity- It's not just a good idea, it's the LAW!

if you have a script like mine (read coke bottle bottoms)
It's probably better getting an open face with a set of scripted goggles.
I have a set of Wrap around glasses that I can put grateful nicks over but they look dorky like that, and as a skydiver we need to look cool not dorky ;)

You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Try a Z1

if he wears huge glasses, the Z1 might not work, I had a lot of trouble with the Z1 when I had glasses and ended up using those huge goggles that suck.

Advice: toast your eyes! trust me laser is the best thing ever!

HISPA 21
www.panamafreefall.com

I have a Havoc. I love it. It's the only helmet that went over my glasses and I don't think my glasses are that big. The problem I think is that I don't have a large head (it's the ego that's large ;)) to the helmets curve around the face is less likely to take glasses underneath than a larger size of the same brand. That's just a personal observation.

The Havoc's whole front flips up and the lens is off the face more than other full face helmets.

Chris Schindler

I don't wear a full-face for the same reason.
I have the second-largest jaw Bonehead has ever seen and few full-face helmets will accomodate my glasses.

Now I am going to give you the advice you do not want to hear.
First, street glasses with small frames will fit under most goggles and full-face helmets.

Secondly, basketball glasses (similar to racketball glasses, but with larger lenses) provide great visibility and stand up well when loving students slam your head into the doorframe!

The glasses are probably the most important part of the fit. Like I mentioned in an earlier post today, I don't care much for wearing a mailbox on my head, but the same principles apply for goggle-users:

When buying a new pair of glasses, alway take a pair of goggles with you to the optician. The glasses should be "low-profile" eg not get too far away from your face. Taking a fullface to the optician's might feel silly, but at least you don't have to do it too often...

Many models of frames extend to the sides from the lenses. I haven't managed to fit any of these under my tube-goggles. The frame should turn directly backwards from the edge of the lense. Difficult to explain, here are a couple of examples:

(edited for typo)

glasses_bad.jpg

glasses_good.jpg

Now I am going to give you the advice you do not want to hear.
First, street glasses with small frames will fit under most goggles and full-face helmets.

Ummmm.....I already have small framed glasses. Second, no they don't fit under most full-face helmets. I've tried the Oxygen, Z1 and others. Nadda one worked. They all pushed on the frame tips and I don't like that. One hit in the face and they may break which could then poke me in the eye and end my pilot career. No thanks. The Havoc was the only full face that would go over my glasses and not press the frames.

And I have a Bronze medal from 10 way at the US Nationals so I do know about the door frame. Thanks.

Chris

I wear my glasses under my extra-large factory diver and even go freeflying in it. The only problem I have is with them fogging up in cold weather while I'm waiting for the door to open. It clears up as soon as I exit. I've attached a picture so you can see the size of my glasses.

She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

heli3.jpg

There are a bunch of other threads about this, but here I go again...

I have a Z1 and my glasses fit fine under it. I don't believe the size or shape of the glasses makes the biggest difference. It's the size and shape of your head that will. Only thing you can do is try on some helmets and see what works and what doesnt. I have no trouble even putting on the Z1 wearing my glasses. When I bought it, I assumed I'd have to take my glasses off to put it on and I didn't really like that idea.

Dave

The full face creates a pretty calm airspace in your helmet. What most people do is wear the contacts inside a full face. Very nice. I would not worry about the contacts coming out of your eyes unless you are one of those people where the contacts come out while you are just sitting on a chair in the living room.

Oh and get a Oxygn. "Best above the earth".
Jonathan Bartlett
D-24876
AFF-I

I had a Z1, and got tired of glasses hassles with it. I did buy a special pair of wraparound glasses that fit under it, but it was still a hassles taking the helmet and glasses off (and putting on). I sold the Z1 and bought a Bonehead Havok. All is well now. I prefer the Havok to the Z1 for other reasons too.

-- Jeff
My Skydiving History

My .02 -
I can't wear my glasses under my Z-1. So I wear contacts to the DZ. I have never had any problem with that.

I even open my visor while under canopy, and while I might get a little dryness, nothing else has happened. I do keep a bottle of rewetting drops in my gear bag. My suggestion is, make sure you've got the right contacts, and keep 'em wet. Then you can wear any helmet you want, and some cool sunglasses while wlaking around on the ground.

Easy Does It

For full face helmets, the only one I've found to work for me was the newer Z1. However, since I fly camera (daBomb helmet), I found that prescription goggles from SportRx work great for me. They have great customer service too.

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

I've got an old Z-1 and I really need glasses or contacts to be a safe jumper. I took it to the optrician's and tried on a million different pair. Finally I found a pair that kind of wrapped around and did fit. The visor still pushes slightly on the corners of the frames, but nothing I can't live with. It's great being able to see again.

A friend ordered a pair of sport RX goggles, that look like glasses. He wears these under his Z-1. I've heard lot's of good things about the Havoc helmets also. Steve1

I wear my glasses under my extra-large factory diver and even go freeflying in it. The only problem I have is with them fogging up in cold weather while I'm waiting for the door to open. It clears up as soon as I exit. I've attached a picture so you can see the size of my glasses.

I've resurected this thread to see if there has been any new info for us with a small head & glasses.
I tried on a Z1 the other day and the visor touched my glasses and my specs fogged up really quickly.

Any fellow "pin heads" out there who wear glasses and fullface helmets???
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

I got a new pair of sport RX glasses to go with my Z-1. They fit a lot better than my other prescription glasses. I am careful not to shut the visor until the door is open and I'm climbing out. I also open the visor right after opening. So far I haven't had any fogging problems. Some people have to exhale out their mouth to avoid fogging. Check your helmet to see if your breath can escape okay out the vents by your mouth. Your liner may be blocking these holes. I haven't done much jumping in really cold weather, with this helmet. That is a time when they are really prone to fog up....Steve1

My new Havok fits great with contacts and my extra-large basketball glasses. The main reason I bought the basketball glasses (a larger version of racketball glasses) was for a wider field of vision and to survive those inevitable clashes with the door frame when students try to "help" with the exit.

Does anyone have a picture of the Havok, other than the side shot on BH's site.
On head visor up & down etc.. would be good.:)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

The Bonehead Havok fits very well with the glasses I wear. The flip up face makes it easy to settle the glasses on your face and/or adjust them subsequently. I have had no problem with the helmet fogging but I did find that the glasses fogged especially if I was breathing heavily before exit. The helmet's anti-fog solution seems to do a pretty good job but I would be interested in a better solution for the glasses themselves. I would also caveat these remarks by saying my (limited) experience is only in warm Florida conditions so further research on other climatic conditions might make sense.
Tim
"Work hard, play hard and don't whinge"