freefallin14

What stills camera?

Am beginning to look into and do my homework on camera flying and there is a ton of info around here about DV and what types of camcorders are nice to fly but there are no mentions of what stills cameras are nice. Would like any info on this, any websites to point me to, etc.
Thanks,
Bret

This would be mainly for shooting some stuff of my freefly friends, but would want it to be good enough to do tandem stills when I end up getting the whole setup. Plan as of now is to get the PC-9, but am totally confused with the stills camera purchase. Putting the purpose for it in the original post would have been smart huh?
Thanks,
Bret

There is a guy out there that is converting Canon elph Lt cameras to have a remote switch. You would be amazed at how good of a picture this camera takes. It is very small and only a few ounces. For anything short of entering your pics in a magizine, it is the way to go. i have a couple of them. The conversion can be done yourself, but believe me it isn't worth it.
William

So getting some big SLR (see been doing my homework :) wouldn't be needed? I am really clueless on this. This elph can take good shots at the right distances? Do you need any special lenses to shoot tandems? Wide angle, etc.? What type of film does it use? Are there any good websites to go to for a beginning photographer, not necessarily skydiving?
Thanks,
Bret

I use one for tandems. There are no special lenses for it. It uses APS film (also marketed as advantix). I have even had one of the pics from it used on a advertisement for the dropzone. One negitive point is that film will end up costing you about .50 more per roll but I am willing to give this up to have such a small light camera.
William

Do you have a name or contact for the guy that does the elph Lt? I have a cannon eos rebel now but don't like to deal with the extra weight for fun jumping. If the quality is good on the elph that would be just the ticket. I've been looking for an excuse to buy one anyway.
Opie
If your not on the edge, you can't enjoy the view!

Depending on how you mount the cameras there is no reason that you cannot use an SLR camera for freeflying. ONe of the camera men where I work uses a batrack with a pc9 and a Rebel 2000 for freeflying no problems. Our boss has been struggling with the skydance camera so I also recommend you steer clear of that one until the bugs are worked out. She has shot some really nice pictures and had some problems with not getting as many pictures as she wants. If you use an optik with a top mounted SLR and a side mounted PC you can do more with the SLR as far as artistic stuff. Can devide if F-stop or shutter rate is more important depending on what you are trying to do. Plus it gives the flexibility of manual or auto focus, both of which have their pluses.
Drewfus McDoofus

Single Lens Reflex... when you look through the viewfinder you see a refection of what is through the lens... as opposed to looking through a viewfinder that is aligned with the lens. Most also give you the option of changing lenses and manual controls that most "point and shoots" do not.
Josh
www.aerailfusion.com

Depends... I have not priced either of them in a while, but it could easily be twice as much... I think you can get one of the Canon Elf type cameras referred to in an earlier post for less than $100, a Canon Rebel or Pentax ZX can cost $200+ depending on what lens you get. You have more options, but you pay for them.
One of the video guys at my DZ uses one of the little ones; the rest of us use SLRs. I have not seen a lot of his pictures, but he seems to be getting good results with it.
Josh
http://www.aerialfusion.com

For skydiving there is no advantage to SLR. A SLR camera might come with other features you like however. The reason I say this is that the advantage of SLR is that the image you see in the viewfinder is the exact image that is recorded on film. Through the use of a mirror you look out of the lense that is going to tke the picture. You are not going to be looking through the viewfinder if the camera is on your head. Now SLR cameras typically come with other features you might like detachable lenses, better lenses, more control of camera settings, and faster time between pictures. I am planning on going to a SLR camera, but that does not mean it is best for everything. SLR cameras are also usually larger, heavier, and more expensive. The reason I am going to one is because I am ready to start taking pictures for magizines, advertisements, and just do some more creative shots with them. I am also not going to put it on one of those small freefly camera helmets. It is going on a Flat Top Pro. I believe for most people who want to take good pictures of their friends or doing student video/camera work, a small good point and shoot like the Elph LT is the way to go.
William

For skydiving there is no advantage to SLR. A SLR camera might come with other features you like however.

SLR See photo, press button, "Click" get photo. Elph See photo, press button "Whir whir whir focus whir Click" get photo about a second after you wanted it.

A second can be a lifetime in skydiving, let alone skydiving photography.

SLR You can build up a range of lenses of differing widths for the plethora of skydiving photos you'll be able to take. Elph Fixed 29mm equivalent at f4.8

Shoting freefly, slip on the 20mm, for tandem, the 28, or maybe the 24. Feeling artistic? how about a 14mm portrait shot including the drouge?

SLR 35mm film Elph 25% smaller film, yet it's more expensive?

This would be mainly for shooting some stuff of my freefly friends, but would want it to be good enough to do tandem stills when I end up getting the whole setup.

Plan now for what you want later. Investing in an SLR will look like a clever move when you look back later. Look at the folks shooting tandems at a few DZ's, see which ones do the best work, ask them what they use.

Cheers

Craig

Brother Wayward's rule of the day...
"Never ever ever go skydiving without going parachuting immediately afterwards."
100% PURE ADRENALENS

If I may suggest.. and you have the cash.. get a digital SLR. Digital because your learning curve will be incredible. Getting down and looking at what you took immediately will tell you what to fix before the next jump. Not a week or two later after you pay to get your film developed. SLR for the reasons suggested in the post above mine. Tremendous flexibility, excellent results. BTW.. I will have a digital Rebel for sale in about a month.. Very well tested. Excellent camera but I am ready to upgrade. PM me if interested.
chopchop
gotta go... Plaything needs a spanking..

Lotsa Pictures