Pammi

Newbie questions

I know there'll be some freaking out when I ask some of these questions, but please keep in mind that I'm trying to be as informed as possible so I know what NOT to do, hence this post.
Merrick and I have been looking at getting a digital camera, and also wanted a camcorder, then also knew we would one day want a camera to put on our helmet, so we jumped in feet first this weekend and got a PC-9! Actually hadn't intended to jump THAT deep, but oh well, we did :) Got to looking at different ones, and it was pretty reasonable when compared to older/similar models anyway.
So...that being said, we intend on using it for a lot of things, from taping the kids to one day jumping it. As far as jumping with it, I of course am anxious to try it, but NOT anxious to kill myself to do so.
What I'm wondering is this....if I or Merrick wanted to actually jump with a camera, what are the dangers to be aware of? If, for instance, I just wanted to wear it while I jumped but not make any special efforts to tape anyone other then whomever happened to be in front of me at that time because I simply can't fly THAT well yet...is that relatively safe for someone with only 62 jumps? Altitude awareness is I'm sure a big thing to always think about and stableness when pulling. Speaking of that...what is the absolute safest mount for a camera?
Anything else I'm not thinking of??
Thanks guys!
Hemp/skydiving jewelry pics!

Hi Pam,
this post's gonna get fun..... eheheh
seriously, are you sure the PC9 can do proper still pictures? I'm sure it can do some basic quality ones, but i thought only the PC 100 and 110 have MegaPixel capacity for decent printable stills... you may want to check your documentation and take action if taking good stills is something important to you.....
PS: as far as what jumping you should do with 60 some jumps and a camera: I'm no camera flyier myself so wont comment.. I'm sure others will....
PPS: absolute safest mount is with a spectator on the ground! lol
Remi
Muff 914

ROFL Remi...I'm telling ya...I'm going to get busted all over the place for even asking, can you imagine if I'd actually done such a thing then told anybody?! LOL!
Now as for the stills, I really don't know yet....I played with it a little when we got home last night, but that's about it. One thing I *did* notice was that since it doesn't have a flash with it that in dark settings it's not that great. However, there's a million settings on it, so perhaps that can be adjusted, plus there is a place on top to put a flash too, so that might help I would guess? We'll see I guess. If the stills turn out not to be that great, I'll probably just end up asking the brother/parents for a camera for xmas :) hehe I'm hoping they won't be too bad though...I don't need anything fantastic, just some decent pics I can upload and have printed if I want rather then using my cheesy Walmart special camera and paying for tons of film/developing only to find out after looking at them only a handful of them are worth a shit :/ At least I can look and delete at will with this thing!
I think you're absolutely correct in how it's going to be used for some time still...from the ground! :)
Pam

What I'm wondering is this....if I or Merrick wanted to actually jump with a camera, what are the dangers to be aware of? If, for instance, I just wanted to wear it while I jumped but not make any special efforts to tape anyone other then whomever happened to be in front of me at that time because I simply can't fly THAT well yet...is that relatively safe for someone with only 62 jumps? Altitude awareness is I'm sure a big thing to always think about and stableness when pulling.

Whoa.....better put on the flame retardent underwear.. :)I, personally, would like to see somebody having at least one live cutaway prior to putting a camera on....so you have some idea what it's like.. I had two prior to first jumping a camera(one step through, one slider hang up at the canopy), and one since I started jumping a camera..
*** You're going to get many different opinions, here.. I, personally, feel that a side mount is safer when just using a Sony PC sized camera.. As I pitch the PC, I turn my head right(camera is on the left side) and watch the PC and bag lift off, line stretch, and initial inflation.. As I am stood upright, I grab the risers(so they won't hit the camera), straighten my head, and look up.. I normally look up as the final stage of inflation is occuring, just before the slider comes down.. I feel that this procedure keeps the camera as clear as possible.. For a top mount, I feel that looking straight ahead is the best thing to do during deployment.....but, I feel that there is MUCH greater risk of the reserve lines/bridle snagging on the top mount camera during even a slightly unstable reserve deployment..
I think some of the experienced camera flyers(such as Paul Quade) on here can better address the mount locations as far as safety.. What do you think about it, Paul?
Mike

Pammi --
62 jumps huh . . . (sigh).
Ok, well, maybe it'll take a while for all the equipment to get ordered and delivered and mounted. Maybe enough time for you to make another 140 or so jumps and get your D-license. Anyway, that's what I'd recommend you think about first.
Beyond that, you'll want to start thinking about what you intend to do with this camera. Are you going to be; shooting just for fun, for team RW, tandems and school work, freefly? Will you eventually be incorporating 35mm stills?
All of this is going to have an affect on the overall design you give your camera helmet system.
For instance, if you ONLY plan on using the system for freefly fun and your own amusement and never plan on shooting 35mm stills, then you could design quite a small helmet and keep things very basic -- for instance, maybe you wouldn't need a ringsight.
However, if you think you'll eventually be shooting video of students for your local school, you may have already made an error. It all depends on what format the -school- uses -- get it?
Bonehead makes a number of helmets and mounts and you're lucky in that the dBox for the PC-9 can be mounted on either the side or top of a helmet.
Paraphrasing the Bard,
"To side mount or to top mount? That is the question.
Whether tis nobler to suffer the strikes of risers on deployment and look cooler in doing so, or not look quite so cool and have one's head knocked about by other freeflyers?"
For me that's the basic realities of it.
Side mounting offers a slightly higher amount of protection for the camera when in a wildly moving group of people, the door and for hairy funneled exits, but is far more susceptable to riser strikes on openings. It can also offer up a pretty neat place for lines to snag at just the wrong moment -- like when you're trying to cut-away from a main mal. Side mounts also look cooler. ;^)
If, on the other hand, you'll eventually be shooting 35mm stills, you'll probably have to top mount something anyway, so why not do it from the very begining?
Top mounting (especially on a BatRak or Flat-Top) almost ensures that you'll never have to worry about stuff getting ripped off at deployment due to riser strike. However, top mounting scares me quite a bit for flying within a tight group. One bad funnel and a foot or worse could end up easily smashing all that stuff on the top of your head. Of course, you'll probably whack it on the door during climb out a few times over it's lifetime too.
Both side and top mounts put extra loads on your neck during deployment. Depending on how you deploy, this could be a twist or a jerk to the side or front, or maybe neither. It all depends on your technique.
So, first things first;
1) Get some more experience.
2) Figure out what you intend to do.
3) Come back and tell me so we can figure out a reasonable design.
Paul
futurecam.com/skydive.html

To all of you guys who gave me some answers and insight to my questions...thank you! I wanted honest answers and that's what I got (without the obvious 'are you friggin stupid' remarks :D) I knew the answers in the back of my mind, but I just needed to hear them I guess :) I certainly am not going to kill myself out of impatience.
I think I will stick to taping the kids' Thai Kwan Do for now, and any skydiving videos I have will be from the 'ground perspective' :)
Thanks again guys, I really really appreciate it!
Pam

Hey Pammi and Merrick.... I know that both of you have good head on your sholders but whats up with looking for the DBox and the helmet?
I thought that the rest of the people on here had talked you out of even thinking about jumping the camera for another season or two. Then I was looking for a new helmet and saw Merricks post looking for a cheap DBox and helmet in the gear section. I just wanted both of you to reconsider the risks that are associated with a camera a little bit more before you start down that path.
I'm at a little over 200 jumps and have the camera (PC110) but have not brought myself to getting a helment setup yet because my freeflying needs a bit more work before I want to mix a camera into it. Maybe over the winter I'll look at it again but not just yet.
Just keep in mind that we all have a lot to do and learn in this sport and no one is really ready till you make the decision for yourself. The risks are higher but the reward can be either good or really bad. Lets hope for the good ones.......(this can be applied to lots of things like swooping, cameras, bigways, etc)
Be safe, be smooth, be fast..... and most importantly.... be phree :)

Just because you are not ready to fly camera yet does not mean it is to soon to start gathering info. I have been flying camera for several hundred jumps now and I would advise people who are interested to start asking questions and gaining info no matter what their experience level. That way when your flying skills are good enough you have more knowledge to make good decisions.

I totally agree thats its fine to ask questions at any skill level but having the toys sitting around the house just makes it too tempting sometimes to ignore your better judgement.
I've been looking at a camera system for about 5 months now and just got the camera last week after looking at cameras for 3 months. I've been looking at helmets and boxes for 3 months and have'nt got one yet since my head down is not that good yet. My sit is solid but since I'm freeflying I'd rather worry about the flying then the camera. At 75 jumps I could have jumped a camera but why rush it? Work on the flying first then work on the beauty of freefall.
Asking questions is fine but getting the toys and planing on not using them is just kinda silly. How long could you look at a nice new canopy that you bought that was smaller but is just sitting in a corner? Probally not long. I know I could'nt hold out for more then a week or two. :)Be safe, be smooth, be fast..... and most importantly.... be phree :)

Good call, Probst!! And Pammi, just be glad that everyone here likes you. I asked a question about friggin' camera lenses on another thread and everyone thought I was taking to the skies with a camera.
Anyway, just be sure that you keep some posts on here about how you like your camera!!
--------------
Richmond Boogie pics...

Hi, And now for my two cents.... I started shooting video when I had less than 300 jumps. I think so much depends on our skill level, our awareness of the skydive... take LOTS of time... talk to LOTS of people that have been shooting video for a LONG time.... ask lots of questions... like.. "what do you do when someone tosses their pilot chute without tracking away? I shoot mostly formations. there are tons of things to think about... however, lucky for us that most LONG TIME camera flyers are more than willing to share our experiences... to be honest... there is few things I enjoy more than showing people the video I took of them flying. 4-way being my favorite.... Stop, think about it... Ask the most experienced people... take time... learn first... then take it slowly into the air... One of the most unique people I've met was Jan Davis... she always talked to me about "shoot'n video" I will think of her the rest of my life... Blue Skies
"yah can't take life too seriously, we're not gett'n outt'a here alive anyways" -Red Skelton-

"Hey Pammi and Merrick.... I know that both of you have good head on your sholders but whats up with looking for the DBox and the helmet?"

Just like Prost said, it's never too early to start seeking out information.... I also don't think it's too early to start looking at gear either. I started looking for a rig on about my 5th jump (IAD progression), but I didn't jump it for over a month after I received it. We DO have good heads on our shoulders, and even with the 'toys' sitting right in front of me I am NOT the kind of person to give in to temptation, especially if it's something that can kill me.
The thing is that I've put several "gear wanted" ads on both the enclave & here at dz.com and it takes FOREVER to get any responses unless you're looking for a sabre 170 or something. I put the ads out anticipating this. We did not buy this camera specifically for skydiving, we have two kids, who are now in Tae Kwon Do, and we've been missing a lot of key moments in their life... THAT'S why we got the camera. Yes, I did make sure that we got something that could be integrated in to our skydiving... BUT, not until we're ready! I appreciate your concern & all, but believe me, it didn't take you guys or anybody to "talk us out of it" We were way ahead of ya on that one. LOL
"Pammi's Hemp/Skydiving Jewelry"

Hey guys...Merrick said it very well. Just keep in mind, also, that we are a young couple with two kids and have to buy our skydiving gear a piece at a time. Even if we got a D-box, we don't have a helmet to put it on! I, personally, am not even anxious to fly without my full-face at this point until I get more consistent on my landings (and my flying for that matter). If I really were that foolish to strap that puppy on a helmet this soon, I assure you, I could've done it by now, with or without a D-box. Having one won't kill my brain cells, I promise. And after watching a friend get hurt last night, I certainly am being ultra-conservative.
I think Merrick just gets too bored at work ... lol.
Thank you guys for caring though. I certainly appreciate it.
Pam (whoops! I'm still in as Merrick! hehe)
(Oh, and I have been talking to people at our regular DZ who of course feel the same as those here, they are very safe, knowledgable people. I will not jump (pardon the pun) into this without full knowledge of what is possible, probable and how to handle it. :)"Pammi's Hemp/Skydiving Jewelry"