Buffs303

What is so great about RW flying?

I am very new to the sport and I have been gaining new interests in different aspects of the sport, but I still have not figured out why RW flying is so popular. (I also have not done it yet b/c I am a student) What about it does everybody love?
Swoop and Poop....my favorite things to photograph

You have 25 jumps and you haven't done any RW yet????

Ouch...I'd find a new dropzone. Just because you're a student doesn't mean you can't do RW. I had several 4 ways in before I got my A license.

If you mean, what's so great about jumping with other jumpers? Do a couple of group dives and then jump by yourself. It's boring as hell to jump by yourself.

If you mean, what's so great about RW over those disciplines (like that crazy sit and head down crap;)). Nothing. To each his own. Do whatever you like to do. But you'll need to learn how to fly on your belly before you can start to fly vertical. I come from a big RW dz. I'd eventually like to be able to sit and dabble in a little head down, just to try it and say I can do it, but I'm in no hurry to get to the ground. This spring I'll start CReW.

You'll understand better when you get done with your first 8 way that got 4 points from 10,000'. Major rush!!!

Whatever you do...have fun!

Thanks for the links! I couldn't believe how much control some of those skydivers had and the small amount of space to work in. Once I get my A license I will be sure to look more into it. Another question though, is all RW belly flying? Or does it include those who freefly in close proximity?
Swoop and Poop....my favorite things to photograph

does it include those who freefly in close proximity?

"Relative Work" does mean exactly that - flying in close relation (or 'relative') to other flyers. The idea of building formations with our bodies - and, then, doing it quickly, efficiently, and with great control, taking grips, etc had been labeled mainly for belly flying. With various other disciplines having more of a flocking type of relative flying - manuvering near each other, but not really in as structured a manner.

The problem is the higher fall rate disciplines took a longer time to progress to the level of control needed to do basic formation/transition type of dives.

It's changed now. VRW (vertical relative work) is pretty much the same sport as you saw the Skyleague site. Only the formations are designed with people in upright or headdown positions. It's pretty exciting.

I'd expect to see the Freeflying and RW forums here, redefine as RW/VRW and Artistic and Fun Jumper forums - matching peoples personality types instead of just orientation. A competitive VRW flyer has a LOT more in common with a competitive RW flyer than he does with the "just for fun" weekend sitflyer/headdowner (similar analogy vs the 'at least we had fun' belly jumper).

After graduation, learn them all. The progression is RW, back, sit, headdown - and then mixing them.

They are all fun to just dink around in, or becoming better at and competing in.

(So is CrW and the other disciplines).

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Anything you do in skydiving is great fun, except femuring. Try them all, in a sane progression, and do what you like to do. Generally beginners learn belly flying first, and try other things, and end up doing what they like the most.

-- Jeff
My Skydiving History

Excuse me ... but students are not allowed to do RW. Ever!

In the United States where the original poster and responder live, students are allowed to do RW.

1. When accompanied by a Coach operating under an Instructor's supervision.

2. When accompanied by a D-license holder, in a group no larger than 4, with at least one D-license holder per student (this change happened in 2006, and is included in the 2007 SIM)

3. Where the S&TA has waived the BSR limitations on student training for group skydives.

You have 25 jumps and you haven't done any RW yet????

Ouch...I'd find a new dropzone. Just because you're a student doesn't mean you can't do RW.

Buffs303 just needs to meet the right people. Buying his three cases of beer (Graduation, first gear, and the coming A-license) and talking to the 24-72 jumpers who grab one would be a start.

Asking Manifest or one of the instructors (Mike Pintamo, Brendan McHugh, Brad Cole, etc.) after they're done working about who currently likes to work with new jumpers would also be a fine idea.

I jumped for 10 years at Mile-Hi. While some of the people have changed, he shouldn't have a problem.

If you mean, what's so great about RW over those disciplines (like that crazy sit and head down crap;)). Nothing.

Flat RW is the greatest common denominator. You can combine guys who've been jumping for 40+ years, people with a few dozen jumps, and everyone in between. As long as people have dressed for success and you keep it simple, you can have a succcesful jump where everyone has fun.

Vertical RW takes a lot more skill.

The progression is RW, back, sit, headdown - and then mixing them

Surely a typo? Not RW, 4-way, more 4-way, a bit more 4-way, obsessive-compulsive 4-way etc etc? :P

LOL ... Bill, one of the most obsessed 4-way dorks in this forum, is encouraging new jumpers to freefly :$:$:$

Surely a typo? Not RW, 4-way, more 4-way, a bit more 4-way, obsessive-compulsive 4-way etc etc? :P

LOL ... Bill, one of the most obsessed 4-way dorks in this forum, is encouraging new jumpers to freefly :$:$:$

You havent met Emma have you? :D
Remster

Anyone can fall from an aircraft, after a while it's like you're just punching holes in the sky and it can get quite boring. Once you really learn to fly your body the challenge/ rush now comes from how much can you do in the little time you have in your jump. Sit / freak flying is fun and a great way to learn what your body can do in the air, but you are still by yourself. RW is fun because you have a plan with other jumpers from the very beginning of your jump to the very end. In order to pull it off, you have to nail it and stay with it the entire dive. RW is a challenge not only in flying your own body, but in cooperation with a team of jumpers who are docking on each other, or turning points, or what ever. it can even be a mixture of RW and freak flying. Try it out. If you get with some experienced jumpers who don't have to big an ego are patient teachers as well, I guarantee your flying abilities will become better than you could ever imagine and your love of skydiving will never end. Blue skies!

Vertical RW takes a lot more skill.

Apples to oranges - Take the top VRW vs top RW 4-way competitors. Would you say that, for example, Eric Ederen is more "skilled" than Solly Williams? :S:S:S

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

obsessed dork? That's a half truth....:P

(no it's not)

I'm encouraging people to try and find something they want to get good at. Rather than just have people out there taking airbaths in some random discipline. (not that there's anything wrong with that but a lot of people call themselves "Freeflyers" because they choose a discipline that they thought they wouldn't have to challenge themselves in - I don't see that as any different than a belly flyer that just does 'boogie' jumps and can barely close on a stable base. VRW has changed that. It's always been about the 'relaxed' skydivers vs the competitive types. Not the discipline itself. I'd love to train for "4-way" VRW.

I think we'd have more retention if people would give serious training and competition a try - It would also be nice to have a larger proportion of people of people able to do a pick up 4-way dive of any kind and do well even with some fun blocks thrown in. Right now, you have to mentor a few people in order to start turning some really fun dives.)

:D:D:D:D

that was my path, but whatever it takes to encourage people to discover competition.....

I am very new to the sport and I have been gaining new interests in different aspects of the sport, but I still have not figured out why RW flying is so popular. (I also have not done it yet b/c I am a student) What about it does everybody love?

Simply put, "To play with your friends". :)

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

What about it does everybody love?

The answer is simple: 4way ROCKS!!!!

I've just recently put together a 4way team and we have about 20 jumps together. It's been a total blast! Each time we can watch the vid a see an improvement of some kind and things we need to work on. It's been fun getting to know my teammates better.
Figuring out how to engineer from one formation to the next, how to launch, it's all good stuff.
Put together a team and come down and compete in our Valentines meet! We need some other rookie team so we don't have to compete in the class A:ph34r:

Noooobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!!! M.P.F.C.

Later on down the line, good RW skills also make for more successful hoop dives, raft dives, lurking your friends and family when they do their tandem jumps... stuff like that.

Learning basic 4-way is also kinda like learning to read and write music. You can get with other 4-way folk and quickly design a dive. Since you're all 4-way proficient, you all kinda undertand the argo and conventions.

Also learning solid RW means you can eventually get invited on "Big Way" jumps at boogies and such.

Finally, should you desire to video tandems, coach, jumpmaster tandem, or perform AFF instruction, good RW skills are nice to have.

Good luck with it, and have fun.

Robin