NoShitThereIWas

Favorite 4 Way?

Hey All,

I am creating a 4 Way Scrambles draw and was wondering if anyone had a favorite 4 way which was relatively simple and seemed to flow real well. I have some good ideas but could use a couple more.
The dives can be Random or Block.

I am on my way to do some research.

Also, does anyone know a decent site to create dive pools/ flows to be printed? Any help would be appreciated.

Blue skies.
Roy Bacon: "Elvises, light your fires."

Sting: "Be yourself no matter what they say."

I like to keep them simple.

My first favorite uses a round between each point to reset fall rate and position. The actual dive can be changed up any number of ways, but always returning to the round between points. For a scrambles or a small group I like to stick to just four points, then back to the top, but for a more experienced group you can keep it going. The way I like to organize it is:
-Round
-Opposed Diamond (everybody facing the in-facing point person, or it could be a stairstep diamond, or a classic diamond, depending on how difficult you want to make it.)
-Round
-Open Accordion
-Round
-Compressed Accordion (Or go back to the top to keep the brain work simple)
-Round
-Donut (It's a lot of points for a scrambles, but fun)
-Round
-Bi-Pole (ok, not really for a scrambles, but go for it if you dare to be great)
-Round

My second favorite is an opposed diamond rotation. The dive begins with one person on the point, the two wings facing forward toward the point, and the tail facing forward. The point then rotates clockwise, so the right wing becomes the point, the tail becomes the right wing, left wing becomes tail, and point becomes left wing. Keep the rotation going. You can make it easier by adding a round at the top and between each opposed diamond to reset fall rate and proximity, or you can make it more difficult by using a stairstep diamond or classic diamond.
Tom Buchanan
Instructor Emeritus
Comm Pilot MSEL,G
Author: JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy

Don't knwo if this is really "simple" or not, but if you have 2 reletivel experieinced bellyflyer and 2 newbies with reasonable solid skills if seems to flow really well -

Meeker - ZigZag/Marquis - Open accordian.

Had alot of fun with this one at the 60ish jump mark in my career, turned about 12-14 points. Got me hooked on bellyflying.

Easy Does It

This is a fun 4-way. Don't know how to describe it, so I sketched it out. When you dirt dive it, it seems complicated, but it really flows nice in the air.:)
I hope more add to this thread.

Those drawings look like 4 way VRW.:P But anyones art is better than mine.[:/]
Get in - Get off - Get away....repeat as neccessary

Oren organizes the annual 4-way scrambles meet at Zhills in the following format. First of all, he tries to make sure that he spreads out the experienced 4-way flyers among the intermediates and newbies. Freeflyers with no belly time are sorted as intermediates or newbies. Sorting evens out the playing field and everyone gets to learn, whether it be coaching or flying for the first time with a group. The most experienced one in the group usually flies outside center to control the exit count and the keys.

If you've got mixed experience levels, try to keep the points all in-facing. Performing a phalanx or anything with a cat can be tricky for newbies. Good randoms are: B, E, F, H, J, M, O, P. Slightly trickier randoms are A, D, N.

Blocks like zig-zag marquis or stardian-stardian are really fun and can be performed very successfully without the vertical. Again, the "spinners" are in-facing so they can see where they're turning the piece.

Oren alternates 4 randoms and 2 randoms & 1 block rounds. The scores are pretty high and surprisingly, the spread isn't that big from first to last which is a confidence booster and makes for a really fun day!

You'll see that it's all about how well the team captain can communicate and breakdown the moves. Alicia Wolfe has won the Zhills meet 3 years in a row, no matter who's on her team!

PM okalb for more info...

Have fun!

I am the Oren that Lauras was referring to. She said most of the things that I would tell you already, so I won't waste much time on that. I have been doing a scrambles meet every year at z-hills for the last few years and the turnout has been fantastic. We have had anywhere from 10 to 15 teams each time.

The key is to make the teams even. The way I have been doing it is to write everyones name on a small piece of paper and then organize all names into groups of 4 skill levels. Once I have that, I randomly pick a name from each pile and that makes a team. Last year we had 5 teams tie for 3rd place which shows how close it was.

As for the dives, keep them simple. That way the scores are high and it is a huge confidence booster for the newbies. We usually do 4 rounds, so round 1 is all randoms to get everyone comfortable. Then round 2 has one block and 2 randoms. Round 3 is all randoms again so they don't get discouraged and round 4 has 1 block again to build the skill and make the competition more fun.

I don't bother with the dive generators. I just print out the 4-way dive pool and cut out the ones we are going to use. Tape them to a sheet of paper and photo copy it for each team captain.

Hope that helps. Let me know if you need anything or have any questions.
Time flies like an arrow....fruit flies like a banana

Don't know how to describe it, so I sketched it out.

For those of us (anyone? Bueller?) that don't have or don't do Word, here's the same thing in PDF
and PNG.

I don't have much else to add; my goal right now is to _stop_ doing RW, as this means that I won't
have an instructor hanging on to me anymore. :)

Eule
PLF does not stand for Please Land on Face.