HARMONROCKETII

PACKING PD 230

I am getting back into jumping after 8 Yrs. I just bought a used rig with a PD 230 main. I used to jump a Falcon 235. For the first 150 jumps or so, it would open with a THWACK! I tried every possible packing solution my rigger and I could come up with with no luck. Is their any advise on packing the PD? It has 350 jumps on it. Roll or fold the nose? the tail? I have probably forgot alot about packing so sorry if I sound "NEWBIE" Thanks, John

The Falcon 235 and the PD230 are 2 different canopies.
Try asking the previous owner how he/she packed the canopy, else start with PRO pack or what you are used to and go from there.

just my $0.02
The trouble with skydiving; If you stink at it and continue to jump, you'll die. If you're good at it and continue to jump, you'll see a lot of friends die...

I jumped a PD 170 for a long time, and I got the best results just pushing the nose all the way back, kind of gently shaking it to get it all the way in. Quarter the slider aggressively, and roll the hell out of the tail.

Openings were quick, but comfortable.

Most people recommend rolling the nose, and I did that for a while, but I thought the openings were too unpredictable.
Skydiving is for cool people only

I jump and pack a PD190 (fancy that?) and I have found the best openings come from rolling the nose 2 turns and pushing it in and then rolling the tail 2 turns.

Very, very seldom do I get a SMACKER. Out of the 150 or so jumps I have on the it, I can count three.

I also quarter the slider and do a double check to make sure it's all of the way in (up on the grommets.)

I am getting back into jumping after 8 Yrs. I just bought a used rig with a PD 230 main. I used to jump a Falcon 235. For the first 150 jumps or so, it would open with a THWACK! I tried every possible packing solution my rigger and I could come up with with no luck. Is their any advise on packing the PD? It has 350 jumps on it. Roll or fold the nose? the tail? I have probably forgot alot about packing so sorry if I sound "NEWBIE" Thanks, John

As i recall, falcons were known for opening hard.

Have you jumped the PD230 yet? I've heard varying things about their opening characteristics, but I jumped one of these a few weeks ago with some great results.

This is what my home DZ uses on tandems, student gear and fast-opening mains to help slow things down (and keeps the nose more on-heading and rolling it in one directino or the other)

This was done using a pro-stack type flatpack. I heavily tandem-rolled the nose (Roll the first 4 cells of the nose from each side inward until you reach the middle of the center cell) and did everything else pretty normally and it opened like butter. Make sure the slider is up, blah blah blah...

Check the line trim, slider size, fabric condition. Look inside, make sure your seems are all intact, crossports aren't blown out, etc...

If you keep getting whacked, might want to think about a bigger slider and/or a slider-pocket.

If all else fails, consider a different canopy. However it sounds you haven't even jumped this one yet, so give it a chance and see what happens :)

-jerm

Landing without injury is not necessarily evidence that you didn't fuck up... it just means you got away with it this time

All good advice above.
Back when I jumped F-111 nine cells, I used to roll the nose 4 and 4. But in the long run I concluded that nose position only made a minor difference in openings.
Slider position and rubber bands make the biggest difference.
Start by quartering the slider and pushing it hard up against the stops. Then I wrap the tail around and roll the bejezuz out of it. I doubt that rolling the tail makes much difference in how the tail opens, but rolling does help hold the slider in place while I stuff the canopy into the bag.
Rubber bands are also very important for soft openings. Use lots and keep them tight.