skybarbosa

Help to slow fall rate down

Hi,

I'm a 5'11" / 230 pounds packed guy. I'm having problems with my fall rate on jumps like 10 to 20-way. Most of the jumps I jump in the base and it's easy to aproach to the L.O., but when he gives the key for the second point I use the get bellow the formation. Could anyone give me some tips to help on my body position to slow my fall rate?

Thank you

Marcelo

Dress for success...if you don't have a jump suit with swoop cords, then get one!

As for as body position goes, lots of people talk about hugging a beach ball to get a very good dearch, just as important is to really drop your knees. I got this suggestion from a GK a few weeks back and the first time I tried it I noticed the huge decrease in fall rate.

I got a strong urge to fly, but I got no where to fly to. -PF

I'm another newbie, however at 225 (with gear) and 5'9'' I have the same problem. I got some coaching (tunnel) to work on fall rate and was told "our bodies are not parachutes, they don't hold air very well." In order to slow down, I was told to throw all legs and arms out as far as I could (make a big X). This would slow me down as much as possible. After that, just adjust to match fallrates with others. Also, I've started anticipating going low during point transitions, so as I let go of grips, I flatten out my arch a little to keep from going low.
This may or may not help you, but I would suggest trying it out. Since my coaching, I've stopped "hugging the beach ball" and dont' go low nearly as often as I used to. Hope this helps.

edited because my spelling sucks

<><><><><><><><><><><>

The greatest risk you take in life is the risk you don't take.

No offense but lose weight. #1. If you don't want to do that then a big baggy jumpsuit is the key for you.

Someone else said to put you body in a big ole X. That is great but how the hell you gonna take grips on anyone flying that way?

Dressing for success is the key. A guy likeyou ay need two or three different jumpsuits depending on the gourp you are jumping with.

As for going low while in the base. Well... if you are the base you are setting the fall rate and they should keep up with you. The base is the fall rate!!!!!

Best thing to do is to trim down if ya can. I use to be in your shoes, 45 pounds less and I can dock on 100 ways in my tight 4 way suit and still have some room to slow down.
Dom

Someone else said to put you body in a big ole X. That is great but how the hell you gonna take grips on anyone flying that way?

I agree, also the big X is not the most efficient method. The long flat board (plus cupping hips and shoulders) is much more effective. It also brings the booties into play and you keep your head up and still have some arm mobility.

This technique comes from mantis training. I'd recommend a good mantis camp. His fall rate range on both ends will improve greatly.

skyb - do a search here on slow falling, or superman or board and you'll find the description on the body position. Better yet, get Ron to take you in the wind tunnel for the lessons. he's got some serious fall rate range

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Another thing to do is to anticipate the break, and begin getting just a little big as it starts -- that way you don't have a delayed reaction, and have to get bigger to overcome it.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

A good jumpsuit mfg will take your dimensions and weight, then advise you on the best way to achieve a desired, relaxed fall rate.

My first suit from Tony that I ordered resulted in them calling me to confirm their opinion that I needed the double layers of heavy fabric in the arms and legs. This added stiffness can mean a lot of extra drag for the same bagginess of the suit. Of course it is hotter, but well worth it. On my 2nd suit from Tony, I also paid for the swoop cords, even though I haven't needed them yet. I suggest you get a suit from a mfg that has the ability to predict your needs like this and decide for you how much baginess is right and how big the wing area needs to be. I don't know which others have this capability.

It is very frustrating, and you cannot have much success flying at the extreme edge of your fallrate range.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

Swoop Cords!

I'm 5'10" and 220lb and struggled with bigger groups that were falling in the 114mph range. Even with double fabric and big arms, it was not fun. Even if I could slow down enough, it was difficult to do anything else while "hugging the ball". Hooked up the swoop cords and it was like night and day. Now I have a wide control range and can fly with the slowest of them.

I've got a Zute Sute with the continuous cord around the back. I like it since it lets me put my glove on over my right hand loop, so the loop won't catch on the hackey at pull-time (would make for a nasty horseshoe). I then put the left-hand loop over the outside of my glove. After opening, I just need to pull the left hand loop off my left hand, and it frees up both hands so I can get to my slider and toggles. That only works if the cord is one continuous line.

Another thing to do is to anticipate the break, and begin getting just a little big as it starts -- that way you don't have a delayed reaction, and have to get bigger to overcome it.

Best to be flying a the fall rate during the dive, not just between points.

I find people do this slow up technique too much and, as a result, many dives slow down from the top to the bottom - I find instructors very guilty of it - maybe they think they need to see the dive from above in between points. It turns into a slow fall rate contest>:(. Very frustrating.

We are currently having issues in our 4-way team right now as our fallrate setter is slowing down in a genuine attempt to help the slower teammates - now our random work is mushy because as the dive goes on we stop arching like we should. It's now a very hard habit to break.

One thing not brought up here - Make the others wear WEIGHT.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Swoop cords are a double edge sword...

Yes, they can slow you down. But they have some negatives to them: If you are in a formation and there is tension, you may get pulles and your arms will stretch, making you float and possibly funnel. Also, after opening, they may restrict your movements to get to the toggles.
Remster

This technique comes from mantis training. I'd recommend a good mantis camp. His fall rate range on both ends will improve greatly.

Definitely. I've found since transitioning to the mantis that I have a much greater fall rate range. The "secret" is that you learn to use all of your control surfaces effectively.

One thing to remember is that whatever route you go you have to make sure you are in your comfort range during the jump. If you are arching like a maniac to keep up with it, or hugging the beach ball then you have nothing left for actually flying your body in position and taking grips.

My advice : If possible get some good tunnel time in with a coach. At least learn a good body position that you can use for fall rate control - the rest of it (leg turns/etc.) can come later.

Bill

I've had the same problems too, and one thing i've found is to anticipate the next point and adjust your fallrate the second grips are broken.
I used to just dock on the base and stay in some arch, and when we broke, suddenly i was going too fast. so I learned to dearch as we break grips, and i stay right up there.

MB 3528, RB 1182