elightle

Nerf Ball Experiment

Has anybody heard about or tried using half a nerf football under their jumpsuit (in the belly region) to speed up fall rate? Somebody told me about it once but I never tried it. I'm a little shit who has to wear a lot of lead and I'm just curious if the nerf thing might allow me to wear less lead.

Blues :S

- Ed -

Heard about it. Supposed to work well. Never seen it in action. I don't recall which direction you are supposed to cut the ball (pointy vs long way).

But really, just try it, how much are 2 nerf footballs?

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Tony Hathaway Tonyhathaway on here and www.tonyhathaway.com does it.

It looks stupid, but he claims it works....Also he has like 12000 jumps, so he might have an idea of what works and what does not.

The theory is good.

Rhem, you cut it long ways in half, like opening french bread to make a 'samich.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

you cut it long ways in half, like opening french bread to make a 'samich.

Thanks, Steve (point) is up to 15 pounds of lead already, wondering if this might be a thing to try. Plus another reason to mock him.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

I have not tried, but when I was a student, there was a female skydiver who was told to do that to avoid wearing weight. She seemed to think it worked. As Ron mentions, if Tony thinks it works, it probably does. Now, not sure what it does to your range as in theory, it will severly mess with your ability to d-arch. Seems to me, the nerf is just a built in arch/beer belly. Wearing weight is a different concept from a physics perspective. I assume Tony uses it for video where he has his wings to help with the slow fall/range.

FYI - you cut it long wise and wear it with the flat side against your belly, ends of the football pointing to your toes and head respectively.

Steve
Gt

Tony Hathaway Tonyhathaway on here and www.tonyhathaway.com does it.

It looks stupid, but he claims it works....

The idea has been around for years. In the late '80's I was jumping in TX at a DZ which had a lowtime jumper who was a little girl, and she was very floaty. One day she was talking to us about having a weight belt made. One fellow brought up the idea of using half a nerf football under her jumpsuit. She put her little hands on her cute little hips, looked him right in the eye, (well she looked up at his eyes), and firmly announced:

"I did not spend thousands of dollars on pretty parachute gear, just so I could fly around looking like I'm pregnant!!!"
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Hi, Eric.

Didn't get a chance to try the nerf football but the I have tried using two weight belts. This configuration sure picked up my fall rate. I need to make a few more jumps this way but already I am able to jump with 3 or 4 lbs less because of the bigger belly bulge. I found out on an 11-way July 2nd that I'll need to take out a little more when closing the tail of a diamond. Where I used to use 14 lbs on a 16-way, I will be able to use 11. That makes me happy.

My theory is that a little person wearing a nerf football will still cause a large formation to float once other jumpers have grips on him/her. I might experiment with the nerf football but right now I am pretty happy with using two small weight belts. By the way, to keep the top belt from flipping up, I tuck it partly under the bottom one and secure it with a strip of velcro.

Blues!
Ed Lightle B|

It works. Placeboes work also. People will add 2 pounds because they think it works. You go faster by arching more, or adding weight. I choose not to carry around weight. I don't actually use a nerf ball now. I just take a pair of cargo pants (or whatever is close to that) roll it up then put it in the suit. Like Ron said, it looks goofy ( but so do booties and helmets but they work )I don't do much RW in a year now, but when I do thats what I use-Tony
My O.C.D. has me chasing a dream my A.D.D. won't let me catch.

Tony,
Just the guy I hoped would respond. Just a few technical questions/comments:

I heard that de-arching is not as effective with the "bullet" on your front. It shouldn't be any worse than de-arching with all that lead on my front, should it?

Won't I still need a little lead?

Cheers!
Ed Lightle B|

My take is that it just makes you faster. Lead makes you faster. The only difference I see is that lead is the accepted way to go faster. You can still dearch and go slower. Its just slower relative to where you started. I'm only 150lbs. I don't spend much time in an RW suit. I don't spend much time arching. (with all of the camera) So when I do RW where I need to go faster , I like to be comfortable and neutral sort of where I'm used to. I wore the "football" (again, rolled up pants) on all 10-rounds of 4-way at last years nationals. I get some funny looks, but I figure its about the skydiving, not the look.TRY IT! Just do a couple of jumps. If you're going with the same group on 2 jumps, wear your normal weight on one, then the football on the other. If you think It doesn't work, then arch more for the one jump. It couldn't be simpler. -Tony
My O.C.D. has me chasing a dream my A.D.D. won't let me catch.