AMax

Block 2 exit

Folks,
I am seeking for some help with 'Majik type' block 2 exit. Last weekend we took it out twice (after getting advice from very experienced flier) and it seemed to make a perfect sense and worked fine for everyone but Tail (me). The line up was: IC outside as a front float (right hand donut grip on tail), Pt outside as rear float (side body grips on OC), OC inside facing up line of flight (right hand donut grip on IC) and a tail inside facing down line of flight with a cheater side body grip on OC followed by grip switch to right hand donut. I think I got the concept of presenting head/upper body low knee high but I still don’t quite understand how to get there since I left the plane with knees low on both attempts (the first attempt sailed but the second one flashed).

I cannot wait till weekend and will greatly appreciate if some experienced tail will share his/her tricks. ;)

I willl have to go home and look at my notes on that one. I haven't done it all year and have forgotten off the top of my head.

WE tired it a few different ways last year and can't remeber which one worked the best. I will have it written down at the house.
Dom

I fly tail also. Ask your point for some tips how they pull off this type of exit. Essentially, everyone is switching slots from where they 'normaly' are for most exits.

My memory of my notes involves the keyword "Lagging". As a tail you're more acustomed to being the first one in the air anchoring the formation for most exits. For this type of exit you're the last one out of the plane. Although the exit must be in synch for the group think of 'lagging' just a bit on "GO!" and allow your self to be as much pulled out of the A/C by your team as launched.

Hope this helps!:)

Ken
"Buttons aren't toys." - Trillian
Ken

We do it differently. As IC, I go to the rear of the door and take a right hand donut grip on our tail (who holds the bar with his left and reaches inside the plane to for our IC's right leg. As IC I line up like the head of a diving 10 exit, but just using one hand. On exit, our tail gets a positive launch and I "drop through the trap door." We end up with a bit of rotation, but that's the way we're going for the inner. Launching it this way also gives the point a bit of throw out the door, just like the IC gets launching a 17.

Ben
MD
Mass Defiance 4-wayFS website

sticks!

We do it differently. As IC, I go to the rear of the door and take a right hand donut grip on our tail (who holds the bar with his left and reaches inside the plane to for our IC's right leg. As IC I line up like the head of a diving 10 exit, but just using one hand. On exit, our tail gets a positive launch and I "drop through the trap door." We end up with a bit of rotation, but that's the way we're going for the inner. Launching it this way also gives the point a bit of throw out the door, just like the IC gets launching a 17.

Ben
MD

Your description looks like an "Airspeed type" block 2 exit with a Tail as a front float, IC rear float, OC inside facing down line of light and Pt deep inside with sidebody grips on OC.

I am trying to figure out the move and target for my head and body if I am lunching from inside (as a tail)

thanks though ;)

As a tail you're more acustomed to being the first one in the air anchoring the formation for most exits. For this type of exit you're the last one out of the plane.

good point;)

and allow your self to be as much pulled out of the A/C by your team as launched.

The problem is that I do not understand how exactly to change the body pitch from head/chest high lower body/knees low to exactly reversed picture a split sec after GO. Perhaps a fear of smacking the face against the step of the plane contributes to the problem ... LOL ;);)

Gosh ... there is so much to learn

Ben
MD

This is how we launched it last year, as well.

It worked pretty well, but as the tail flyer, you have to be comfortable doing that front float exit. It's very gymnastic, up and away from the plane...
Never meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!

Two things. The pitching of the body is a mental thing. You have to understand that the floor that is in your way won't be when you launch.
As the front diver you can try to launch yourslef above the formation or let it unfold and follow it "placing yourself atop the formation. Bottom line is that the formation doesn't care how you are stretched above the formation wither by gymnastic launch or by timing and placement. Personally I always had the best luck by letting the formation start to leave and then move
Chris

We give the solo move to the tail on block 2, so you are doing our point's exit on this one. Ken had it right, this exit is more natural to the point. So it works good for us since point is 'diving' like normal.

Remember, you have 2 arms and one leg constrained, so to mess up this exit slot is really a team effort, not just you. The real problem is everyone is rotated around on the exit in slots they don't know how to exit. That's why we either give the tail the solo or we launch with the solo (point) from the inside top (still works).

For you, think face plant or flop, think follow (not lead) the OC's hips - not his head or his count or his eyes, don't worry so much about throwing your legs up as throwing your face down - you'll rotate about just fine.

You know how you throw your face at the bottom of the door on meeker if you really want to snap into your slot? same energy, kinda the same move except face down rather than side down - get your head down.

The IC owns quite a bit of putting your knee up in front of his face on this exit. I suspect your IC is leaving a bit early and with his arms low is more of the issue than you not 'popping' your knees up and back. But either way, it 'looks' like it's you. Ask for 'help' from him by leaving on the pressure on his knee from the OC (OC has the count here - but anyone other than the solo can have it here), launching more up, and placing your knee right on the hill. Then your job is to just make sure that your left side stays in the air.

Of course, this is all guesswork anyway. We just launch it and the only probelm the inside person (point) had was rolling under, not floating over - that was my fault - front float from a weak launch. And that only once. It's pretty hard with three of four points pinned, he really had to drop his left knee to let even that happen.

edit: if it doesn't come together, I really recommend you give the solo to your tail and put everyone back in their comfort slots.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Albatross,
I think you are right about the mental thing. It looks like I was not trying to put my head low or unfold aggressively. On video it looked like a presentation problem, rather than a timing issue

Rehmwa,
Good points. The only thing is our IC is a small woman and I'm 6'3 190 lb w/o gear. It is quite difficult for her to move me around. ;)

Thank you all guys!;)
Cannot wait to try it again

This sounds like our 2 exit. Everyone in the usual exit positions, and not in our A slots. Out of interest with tail as the solo who does he sidebody? We build the tail sidebody on IC. We return to A slots at terminal - point solo and built on OC.

Also with this exit note that tail has some entertainment on the hill, ie it's all uphill. Any tips for making this block with this exit snappy on the hill?

Dru

The only thing is our IC is a small woman and I'm 6'3 190 lb w/o gear. It is quite difficult for her to move me around. ;)

Oh - then try not to kick her in the face..;)

Dru - we just keep the tail solo (sideb on the IC) even terminal - it fits our continuity without any problems. If we want to pick up time on the hill, we'd put the point on solo (sideb on the OC) and exiting from inside. We have other problems to spend any extra time on Block 2 so far though.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Alright, the PDF is now apparently attached. By now my "rookie" status on this site should be secured as a result of all of my errors. My sincere apologies for any legitimate confusion. Feel free to PM me with any questions.

David van Greuningen
DeLand Majik
-dvg

DVG, you're so nice and polite....

By the way, tell Pam that I know she's been trying to get a hold of me...tell her to shoot me an email at [email protected]

as for the "small woman" idea, the thought that she can't move around a 6'3", 190 lb guy in the air very well is BS! Come on! I'm 5'1", and my IC is errr...Dom! How tall are you? at least 6' something. :ph34r:

Get that girl in the tunnel...even short legs can have some power in the piece turns!

Andi
Never meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!

as for the "small woman" idea, the thought that she can't move around a 6'3", 190 lb guy in the air very well is BS! Come on! I'm 5'1", and my IC is errr...Dom! How tall are you? at least 6' something.

I am only 5'3". You just think I am over 6ft. since you are so short!:P
Dom

as for the "small woman" idea, the thought that she can't move around a 6'3", 190 lb guy in the air very well is BS! Come on! I'm 5'1", and my IC is errr...Dom! How tall are you? at least 6' something.

I wasn't trying to suggest that small girls are absolutely incapable of moving big piece partners around the sky, however the difference in mass does play a significant role (second Newton's law).

Get that girl in the tunnel ...

She already has quite a bit of tunnel time and we are coming to Perris to get some more in April ;)

Yeah, the diagram throws me off a bit too. LOL. I should have just left the curved arrow out, cleverness got the better of me there. Throw the chest down following the sidebody cheater and take the knee up so that both rotate around your hips in opposite directions. Diagram that!!!! Later.
-dvg

Throw the chest down following the sidebody cheater and take the knee up so that both rotate

After reading yours, I was concerned that my use of the word "throw" in my help posting would be taken out of context. now I feel validated by a pro. Nice summary, I wish I could have gotten it as straight in as few words.