RedDevil1102

Just Starting

I have been trying to get a 4 way team together, but only have one other right now. We have others fill in. We have alot of trouble staying together. We always exit good, but when we go to turn our first point in randoms, we get away from each other. Could anybody possibly give us some drills we could use to get better.

I find that there are two things that solve the separation problem. Eye contact and flying your slot.

When you are looking at the center of the formation, you notice any separation right away. We worked on this during the dirt dive and while we practice on the creepers. Creeper time is free, freefall is expensive. During the dirt dive, make a point to maintain eye contact with the person across from you. Do the same while you're on the creeper. This is really helpful when you're turning 90 or 180 degrees from the center of the formation. When selecting points for your skydive, start with ones that keep a clear center...like stairstep diamond and donut. Work your way up to formations like bipole and phalanx, which make eye contact really tough.

Flying your slot is a little tougher to work on. When you're swimming in a pool, you can stop swimming when grab the side. People tend to do the same thing on a skydive. Soon as they take grips, they relax. When the grips are released they tend to slide away from the center. Sometimes they even float or go low. Remind people of this and tell them to fly toward the center of the formation in between points. A great way to work on this in the air is a no contact skydive. Plan your 2 or 3 points, but in the air, nobody takes grips. They have to fly ALL the time. It's a really tough skydive, but you learn SOOOO MUCH!

Good point!

I meant to include that in my post too. I was going to suggest doing some 2 ways, focusing on eye contact and flying your slot (no contact).

Build good individual skills, then you can start building good team skills. Once you have a team, it's not a bad idea to do some 2-way drill dives as part of your training.

The 4-way people I know spend most of the non-team jumps doing 2-way drill dives. They seem to be the BEST way to improve individual skills.

I have been trying to get a 4 way team together, but only have one other right now. ***

I saw your at Bragg, you ever come out to Carson let me know there's a slot waiting for you on the team i'm trying to put together.

and on your question about staying together, i have to agree with what other are saying, i've seen the most improvement from 2 way no contact dives, so you have to fly the whole time, and you're forced to work to stay together. Good luck..

History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid.
--Dwight D. Eisenhower

Definitely start with 2-way drills but make them good ones. One jumper should be a coach or an experienced jumper. Here are a couple good drills.

Altitude Adjustment - the coach pops up 5 feet or so and you float up and match his fall rate. He sinks 5 feet or so and you sink and match his fall rate.

Quarter Turns - from a face-to-face 2-way (star) the coach sits still and you present one side of your body (arm and leg) to his hands. Next, present your legs to the coach's hands (i.e., he cats on you). Next, present the other side of your body to the coach's hands. Last in the rotation, come back to the face-to-face 2-way (star). The coach should probably do the drill first so you can see the right way to do it. The upshot is that you will learn to maintain position while making 90-degree turns.

Practice the above drills 3 or 4 times apiece. Also, attached is a PDF of an article I wrote for Parachutist for new 4-way teams.

Welcome to 4-Way!
Ed Lightle :ph34r:

If you are licensed and your partner is to, Then youhave a good start.

Liek the others have said to you. 2 ways for now. Work on eye contact and stopping.

It's wasy to get moving. It is hard to stop and be where you are supposed to be.

Eyes are the most important thing for you right now. When people say eye contact that is just what they mean.

THe two of you can work on setting a good center for when you finally get a 3rd and 4th. Go out and do no contact stop drills. Compressed to compressed, 180's thing like that. The idea is to turn in place and stop at the right angle. Keeping eye contact the entire time. Sounds a bit boring (it is) but it will help lay a good foundation for you and your partner

Dom

Hi, Dom.

Yes, they should definitely do the 2-way no-contact start and stop drills in addition to altitude adjustment drills. I plan on doing some myself as soon as it warms up here in Cold Country (Ohio). Basic 4-way is all about learning to move quickly and decisively to your next position with the added ability to stop on a dime. There's nothing more exhiliarating than cranking a fast 360 and knowing that as you stop you're in perfect position to take grips or be gripped. It doesn't get any better than that!

Blues and all that stuff...

Dom,

Me, again. I was wondering if I could use your advice about 2-way no contact stop drills in an article for Parachutist. It seems that the more I write the more I want to make it easier for newer jumpers to understand what's going on.

Keep grabbin' ASS!

We have alot of trouble staying together. We always exit good, but when we go to turn our first point in randoms, we get away from each other.

Falling straight down is alot more difficult than it sounds. Without a good reference, it's hard to tell who is moving. I assume your partner also relatively inexperienced?

Your best option is to jump two ways with a more experienced jumper who can 'lay base' for you, that is, hold a heading and fall straight down so you can reference a static target. To this, add small variations like 90 degree turns in both directions, while maintaining fall rate, proximity and eye-contact(*) with the experienced jumper. When each of you can consistantly do this one-on-one with the experienced jumper, treat yourselves to a three way. Add some basic turns: 90, 180 and 360 to the mix. When you're consistant here, try two-ways again with each other, but this time have one of you stay static -- fall straight down while the other does 90s and 180s. Alternate.

Allow yourself some time to learn these basics and realize that while is sounds simple and easy, it's surprisingly difficult to do well, especially with turns. A little investment up front will pay huge dividends very quickly.

(*) Eye contact: this isn't just looking towards the other person, but literally a staring contest. It is not enough to "know" where the other jumper is; communication in 4way is primarily through the eyes. Make it a point to smile at each other, independent of how well the jump is going -- this instills so much confidence and 'feel-good' in one another, but you only know if you're looking directly at each other's faces and eyes.

-- Dave

Hi, Dave.

Everybody in this thread has given excellent advice to RedDevil1102 about 2-way drills. Would it be okay with you if I use the information you provided in an article for Parachutist? I realize that the information we provide in these forums is pretty much public knowledge once we hit "Post Reply," but, ethically, it is a good idea to ask for permission to use the information in a piece of journalism.

Thanks in advance,
Ed Lightle
D-5966
Old Timer But Still 4-Way Crazy :o

Another 2 way drill to keep in mind once you are ready to add in another challenge is to have one person fly base and the other orbits around taking different grips.

ie, one person falls in place the other starts with two way grips, moves around to side body, then cat grips, then sidebody on the other side, then back around to 2way grips.

i have yet to try this one but have heard of it a few times. i'm still working on turning in place!!!
History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid.
--Dwight D. Eisenhower

(*) Eye contact: this isn't just looking towards the other person, but literally a staring contest. It is not enough to "know" where the other jumper is; communication in 4way is primarily through the eyes. Make it a point to smile at each other, independent of how well the jump is going -- this instills so much confidence and 'feel-good' in one another, but you only know if you're looking directly at each other's faces and eyes.

Well said. Sounds easy but it takes parctice. If you are doing it right you should notice just how damn ugly your partner really is. Plus people make funny faces when they are trying to turn real fast!!!!!:D
Dom

Well, after 5 hours in the wind over the preceding two days, I got into that zone were I was too tired and sore to notice I was sore and tired. ;-) I'd do it again in a heartbeat!

Actually, I felt pretty good, although I found it mentally very taxing. I should apologize to my various teammates for the brainlocks. But everyone was so UP and friendly, it was impossible to not enjoy the event. There is alot of really good talent around Perris. I'm jealous of y'all for having such a cool toy in your backyard.

Thanks everybody for your help. I have been doing 2 ways now, with work on eye contact.. It has helped alot. It showed when we did a 4 way today and we got through most of the points. Im also lucky to have people like Chris Talbert around to help. Thanks to everybody again.
The brave may not live forever,
but the cautious do not live at all