rehmwa

The Tunnel Remains Amazing (warning, just rambling here)

OK, over 4 - 1/2 hours of tunnel time on Thursday and Friday. Lots of video to process.

1 - We had Lise Aune, Steve Hamilton and Chromy coaching. It's pretty hard to imaging some of you southerners getting to deal with these level people on a regular basis. You are hugely lucky. We aren't that fortunate in the northern states. I don't think our newbies even new who they were - I was feeling damn lucky the entire time. Two former national champs (Britain and Norway) and Chromy is just simply one hell of a person and skydiver as well. World class coaching. Also got to meet Pete Allum and Alan Metni. Met up with some other friends just coincidentally - mainly from the big way the week before.

2 - We have a new point man. He started pretty wonky, but Lise took care of that over the first day and I think we'll do well with him. He's pretty clean and shows HUGE potential. I can't wait to see how he performs. This really was a transition from box to mantis and the change was amazing. This man will be a very good skydiver if I do the followup training right.

3 - Me and my IC spent a lot of sharing time on communication - especially when we had 4 people running in the tunnel. This was a huge lesson. It's definitely worth it to make it a habit to not just make eye contact, but to make that contact and smile and laugh and learn to communicate with that eye contact. We were doing 4-ways the second day and the communication is up several levels. I don't think we were any faster at the time, but this will definitely enable us to get faster (past a recent performance plateau). And soon. (And big)

4 - I was told I need to throttle back until my teammates catch up (think blocks 7, 14, 15 - gotta make the catch so should only spin as fast as the slower person). I can live with that - it was a very serious feedback, but also affirming at least for my individual skills progression if not my overall team viewpoint. In the meantime, I can work on super strong starts and stops and communication. And that is frankly my job, anyway.

5 - Of the other campers, we had 13 and 15 and 44 jump wonders. Now these people will likely be coming home and blowing the minds of the rest of the local jumpers. Especially one young woman from this site (CrazyJulie). Watching them get better was likely the best part of the trip for me.

Due to a problem with our organizer, we had to do some last minute planning in tunnel to make sure the reserved time was used in the best way possible for everyone. The coaches were amazing here in way they organized the various people's arrival dates and tunnel commits.

Down sides? My tail couldn't go and hasn't yet had a tunnel camp (I have like 12 hours, my IC has like 9, my point now at least 3). We didn't do as many blocks as I'd hoped for. It sucks to fly with a pinched siatic nerve. My front is sunburned from Cocoa beach. And finally, I didn't get to meet any of the Florida DZ.commers that I wanted to.

OK - who's jealous?

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

I think it should be illegal to post the stories like that:P
I am:( not getting any tunnel time until October

I agree, especially in a place where people who dont even HAVE a tunnel in the country can read them[:/][:/][:/]
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

I think it should be illegal to post the stories like that:P
I am:( not getting any tunnel time until October

I agree, especially in a place where people who dont even HAVE a tunnel in the country can read them[:/][:/][:/]

:D:D
I'm from Minnesota, it's much like another country without a wind tunnel....:P

My apologies to you both. I hope you have the chance to come over and try it for a while. If you do, I want to hear all about it.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

OK - who's jealous?

I am jealous!
Hi! I'm Igor from Italy.
I know what you are talking about because I have tasted the benefits of flying in the tunnel with the Pros (I have done 3 Airspeed Tunnel Camp).
U.S. is really the place to be when you want to skydive hard!

Igor

Hm ... you live in FL and jump at Z-hills. Why it is so difficult to be on a team??

I didn't mean to imply that I've been looking for a team. I haven't really tried yet. :)
I'm jealous of rehmwa's tunnel time even though I go once a month or so. (usually only 15 minute sessions) I did the Synchronicity camp back in March and now I know how great it is to do a bunch of tunnel over a couple of days!

4 - I was told I need to throttle back until my teammates catch up (think blocks 7, 14, 15 - gotta make the catch so should only spin as fast as the slower person). I can live with that - it was a very serious feedback, but also affirming at least for my individual skills progression if not my overall team viewpoint. In the meantime, I can work on super strong starts and stops and communication. And that is frankly my job, anyway.

I am flying the same slot as you are. This is a hard thing for me as well and is getting better. The other two commited guys on my team have 150 and 120 jumps, but they rock in the tunnel. My issue is keeping my self slowed down. It doesn't show on video but I fight it on every point. The team can only fly as fast as the slowest flyer.

Stop drills have helped me a bit and we will continue to use them. Very good for getting a rythm as a team as well. Everybody on and everybody off at the same time. Sounds a lot easier then it is for sure.

Communications is and will be our strong point. I was lucky enough to get these guys when they both had less then 100 jumps and had not learned a lot of bad habits. One thing that has helped these two is that they have been preached to since day one about eye contact. The way these maintain eye contact is crazy! Funny to hear a guy with just over 100 jumps telling a senior jumper that they need more eyes from!

Gotta love it!

We have all spent a lot of time in the tunnel as two and three ways, but last weekend we finally flew some 4 ways together (with a guy that was trying out) in the tunnel. Things went pretty well. B.C. told us to stick to stop drills all day, but I couldn't resist the blocks (6-a-j). They all did really well. Went out and did the same dive in the air. Very good results (10 points in time). We just need to find a 4th an get down to serious training.
Dom

120 and 150 jumps doing a 10 in time. That's really positive. We'll be watching out for you guys. That on-site tunnel is going to be turning out some serious competitors maybe even starting out this year.

At some point, I want to be on a team where I'm the low man on the totem. Just to see how far I can push it. Won't happen up here though. The coaching is fun, but I'd rather be coached.

120 and 150 jumps doing a 10 in time. That's really positive. We'll be watching out for you guys. That on-site tunnel is going to be turning out some serious competitors maybe even starting out this year.

No shit...
Thats an understatement Rehm:)
Two days to go....and Ill be in the tunnnnellllll...
wooohoooooo I get to fly peices with Pete Allum..
**doing happy dance around the office **

Who says not finding a regular fourth team member doesnt have its benefits;)

You are led through your lifetime by the inner learning creature, the playful spiritual being that is your real self.-Richard Bach

No shit...
Thats an understatement Rehm:)

It's not an understatement if you start your people out right. But it is cool - especially when it involves a double vert (even a quick one like 6) like Dom noted.

In fact, I bet you a dollar and a marguerita that after the tunnel you'll be doing more regular ten (plus) dives during training and meets. Let's say if you were one or two every 15 jumps, you'll be doing 4 for every fifteen after 'the tunnel plus one month' to let it sink in. And not just on your all random dives either. Deal? (of course you can substitute the cash for a power bar in the event a power bar is handy at the time of payment)

And I remain jealous of your tunnel visit and piece partner. So there.

In fact, I bet you a dollar and a marguerita that after the tunnel you'll be doing more regular ten (plus) dives during training and meets. Let's say if you were one or two every 15 jumps, you'll be doing 4 for every fifteen after 'the tunnel plus one month' to let it sink in. And not just on your all random dives either. Deal? (of course you can substitute the cash for a power bar in the event a power bar is handy at the time of payment)

You are on matey!

I am so excited that I am having a hard time staying in one place...even a visit to the dentist hasnt dampened my somewhat sickly spritits...

So Ill do a shot for ya this weekend..one of my teammates has to be bringing tequilla:P..(hopes) it will mix really well with my antibiotics and cough medicine:)
Ill catch you up on the events after the weekend, OK?

And I remain jealous of your tunnel visit and piece partner. So there.

well< I cant say I blame you:)

You are led through your lifetime by the inner learning creature, the playful spiritual being that is your real self.-Richard Bach

The on-site tunnel is already changing everything! The one thing that is going to slow us done a bit is the search for a 4th. I have some calls out and hopefully we will find the right one quick. The guy we where training with last weekend is not going to be a part of the team. he couldn't spend the time we needed from him. Wants to travel this summer and we need him here of course. Oh well the search goes on.

At some point, I want to be on a team where I'm the low man on the totem. Just to see how far I can push it. Won't happen up here though. The coaching is fun, but I'd rather be coached.

I know what you mean. But this year is going to be fun for me. As long as they keep from getting inflated egos an make sure they can still fit into there helmets at the end of the day they will do steller.

My main consern for them is not how good of skydivers they will become. It is in there awarness and canopy skills. Neither has shown to much of a tendency to do stupid things. I know one of them is probably reading this right now.

Steve I am proud of you and Justin so far! Keep it up!
Dom

Move to Florida :)
Wind Tunnel and Skydiving Coach http://www.ariperelman.com

Move to Florida :)

Actually been thinking about that lately pretty seriously. Job market looks good, just had a friend join a firm in the north part Tallahassee.

Dom - PM sent

The on-site tunnel is already changing everything! The one thing that is going to slow us done a bit is the search for a 4th. I have some calls out and hopefully we will find the right one quick. The guy we where training with last weekend is not going to be a part of the team. he couldn't spend the time we needed from him. Wants to travel this summer and we need him here of course. Oh well the search goes on.

I know what you mean. But this year is going to be fun for me. As long as they keep from getting inflated egos an make sure they can still fit into there helmets at the end of the day they will do steller.

My main consern for them is not how good of skydivers they will become. It is in there awarness and canopy skills. Neither has shown to much of a tendency to do stupid things. I know one of them is probably reading this right now.

Steve I am proud of you and Justin so far! Keep it up!

Thanks Dom....Yesterday was prolly the best day I've had in this sport yet...sooo much fun

haha I'm still buzzing on those last two 4-ways we did

anyways thanks again dogg,

Justin Shekoski
For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with
your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there
you will long to return.
-Leonardo da Vinci

I really want to get the video of the last 2 dives of yesterday though.

If/when I get ahold of the output from the one camera that actually worked on that 16way I'll be happy to pass it on to ya B|

Was great to meet and jump with you Justin - even if you are a better skydiver at 120 jumps than I am at 1000 :ph34r: