loudtom

Two Points, one each in two different formations

Since we couldn't jump on saturday we brainstormed some new jump ideas and were wondering if anyone has ever followed two seperate, but close together, formations out the door, made a point in the first one and then swooped down to make a point in the second one? Roy who came up with the idea so I could get in swooping practice then thought maybe we could float one and dive one and have two people be in two differnt formations on one jump...
Yea we were bored but I really like this idea and we are going to try it. Roy also thought we might make it a four formation four point dive as we get better!!
Heres to seeing you in the funny pages!!!!
tom #90 #54 #08 and now #5 with a Bronze :-)

We thought you could launch two four ways (one after the other, lets say out of an otter) dive out after the 2nd group make a point in thier formation and then dive down to the first one and make a point with that formation.
Up to maybe 4 formations if you are quick about it.
Like I said we were bored and just thinking stuff up.
tomB|

You could do, it but with two four-ways exiting that close together, treat it like a 9-way cuz that is what it is.

I've done some fun 8-16 ways where you exit 2 groups at the same time and have a race. For example, in an otter, put out four floaters, the front two are part of team A and the back two are part of team B. The divers alternate and join either team A or B. Free fly the exit and the race is on. Both teams do the same dive. Which ever team completes the most points wins.

Remember though when break off comes, you need to track 180 from the centerpoint between the two formations not the centerpoint of your formation.
John
Arizona Hiking Trails

Since we couldn't jump on saturday we brainstormed some new jump ideas and were wondering if anyone has ever followed two seperate, but close together, formations out the door, made a point in the first one and then swooped down to make a point in the second one?

Yes, I call it my Falcon and Eagle dive. I have done it a few times.

The first group launches a 4way and starts turning 4 points.

The second group dives out a diamond and turns 4 points, then swoops to the first group. (For saftey the second group should stop turning points at say 8 grand and swoop to the first formation to get the group together if they have the points or not.)

Both groups then form an 8way and turn two points.

So you get your (old) Falcon and Eagle on one jump.

Not easy, but yes it can (and has) been done.

Edit to add:

My 2,000 jump was like this...sort of. I was doing an 8way. I asked to go last. When the group was climbing out I turned to the student (30 jumps) behind me and asked him if he wanted to launch a two way. My group left, we gave them about 5-6 seconds and the student and I left in a two way. I then waved good bye and tracked A VERY LONG WAY....I mean, My God a long way! And swooped to my slot. When I say it was a long swoop....I mean a LONG swoop.

The student pulled at 6 grand (and we had horizontal seperation anyway) And my group thought it was very funny. Although they were a little upset that no one was able to dump me out.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Yes, video is a must. And we want just enough seperation to make the jump possible and be safe at the same time. Obviously we would all want to be heads up, but if we all know what is happening and do some good dirt diving...
We'll give it a try and let everyone know how it works out...
tom

Sounds cool Ron. I love long swoops. This all started cause my friends know I am in the Texas State Record jumps and they want me to get plenty of practice. Coming out late in the CASA gave me some great swoops and visuals last year...
Thanks,
tom

Cool jump!

How long did you leave between exits on the Falcon/Eagle dive? Did the 2nd group set-up in the door (eating up time between the groups) or freefly the exit (eating up time before their first point)?

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Long swoops are a gas.

I remember two years ago at couch freaks we had a 36 way from an Otter and a Sky Van. Manifest had mistakenly put too big a group on the Otter so I had to switch last minute to the SkyVan.

This put my slot on the far side of the formation instead of just exiting last from the Otter straight to my slot.

The Van offered to let me out first, but I didn't want to mess with their exit order so I left last.

Giant carving long swoop to my slot, it was gorgeous. I made it to my slot right on the tail of my designated dock, he didn't even realize I wasn't behind him the entire way. Then of course some newbie fell on top of him leaving me alone lurking my area.

Without the swoop, it would have been a pretty crappy dive. Instead, it's one my best memories.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

First group exits a round with 3 out and only one in. They build it a little towards the back of the plane, leaving as much room for the 2nd group...

The second group launches a Diamond and they can run it out, or if you are really ballsy you can launch a stairstep with two guys floating.

The first group leaves, and the second group launches right after.

The keys to pulling this off:

The first group MUST NOT FUNNEL You could even Launch a two way and let the other two swoop if you want. You have time, the second group is leaving about 2 seconds later. They have to turn points then still swoop to the first group. If the second group gets there first (This has yet to EVER happen) They just lurk slots and dock as soon as the first group is done.

The last point of the bottom 4way should be something easy to detemine where the swoopers slot is...(Don't do a round) Like maybe build a zipper and let the first two from the second group build a star with the 1st two and have the last two build zippers on their guys. So the end formation is a 4way star with two guys from each group with flakes. Open this to a round.

Saftey issues:

This is clearly not a dive for low experienced people. There is not an "easy slot" in this dive. ALL parties have to be very aware of the possible break off issues. Remember Vertical speed KILLS.

So...In the diver 4way there should be a "No Go" altitude that if you don't have your points it does not matter..You start swooping to the base anyway just to build the 8way so you have a safer break off. Id say around 9-10 grand.

If the group does not have the 8way at break off. Both groups should know the direction of the other group and NOT track that way. They should ALSO have altitude difference. The base group should pull around 2 grand the dive group around 3 grand if they are not in the same space at break off.

Not an easy jump and it does carry a higher risk than many other types of dives...Due to this it is NOT recomended that you just try it.

If you are down in the Hills let me know and I will try to put one together.

It also helps if you have some chicks on the jump for some "extra altitude" if ya know what I mean.

I have other dives that will help with your swooping...This is NOT a good dive to do just to practice swooping.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334