lazyfrog

big way, need advice

Hi there need advice for training, got selections end of october for the swiss 120 way RW
what are the things to do (except buying beer) and things NOT to do (except farting in the plane) to show you're not a complete DORK. I do not have a great RW experience, but I'm ready to train a lot. The selections will be on a 20 way.
My biggest RW is 8 way (except 10 way speed star)
----------
Fumer tue, péter pue
-------------
ourson #10, Mosquito Uno, CBT 579

Hi there need advice for training, got selections end of october for the swiss 120 way RW
what are the things to do (except buying beer) and things NOT to do (except farting in the plane) to show you're not a complete DORK. I do not have a great RW experience, but I'm ready to train a lot. The selections will be on a 20 way.
My biggest RW is 8 way (except 10 way speed star)

Show up for the dirt dive on time, with gear. Dont have a soda, cigarrette, pipe etc....empty hands, open ears.
Be honest with your abilities, dont bite off more than you can chew.
Dont fly under the formation if you go low......
If your diving, dont pass the jumpers ahead of you.
Respect the red zone.....
Keep your head on a swivel.
At break off track like hell and pull at your assigned altitude.
Fly conservitively under canopy.
Land safely.....even if it means landing out and walking.
Theres more, but its late and my brain is mush......

Roy
They say I suffer from insanity.... But I actually enjoy it.

There have been a few useful articles both in Parachutist and in Skydive, The Mag (UK mag) on big-way stuff. I don't know whether the Parachutist has an on-line version, but you can find Skydive, The Mag at:

http://www.skydivemag.com/

In the June 2003 issue there is an articleon big-ways (that admittedly I wrote :)) and there are links at the bottom of the article to other related articles in other editions of the mag.

The most important thing - don't get noticed by the organiser in the air. If they don't point you out during the debrief, you haven't done anything wrong ;) and are less likely to get axed!

tash
Don't ever save anything for a special occasion. Being alive is a special occasion. Avril Sloe

A few other things I keep in mind on 20ways on up that I learned this season from people on the 300-way.

1. Approach your slot on level w/ the formation.
2. Fly to your slot, Stop, then dock and keep flying your slot. This prevents all sorts of waves and pulsations from going thru the formation.
3. Fly to your slot on your radial. Which is a line from the center of the formation thru your slot out to the horizon. This keeps you from cutting others off in traffic.
4. In the dirt dive look at the people (jumpsuits/ rigs) next to you and in front of you on your radial. Learn their colors. It will help you to figure out your road map into the formation when you can spot how far along the build is. Generally you will also be flying into the formation w/ a 'wingman' or three from your aircraft. Mostly this applies to late divers out of the plane.

5. As you are diving fast to the formation, keep in mind that as it builds it will slow down. You will need to slow down before you may anticipate. You are accelerating (diving) towards a point that is slowing down below you. If you are late w/ your brakes you'll end up low and may not get back up to the formation.

6. Have a good flat track mastered and be prepared to track until 2000' agl before you pull.

7. Follow all of the organizers' saftey instructions.

There are other things but these are a few of the important ones I recall of the top of my head.;)

Ken
"Buttons aren't toys." - Trillian
Ken

Nice list, thanks.

One other thing. Find your mirror and make sure that you are looking through the center at them. If not, one side of the formation could be bunched up. That means somewhere else, it's stretched out and might result in a grip being too far to take..... (I'm thinking this might depend on the size of the big way - works nice for up to about 60 or so, I'd have to ask the experts if it's also good for really big stuff)

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

1. Approach your slot on level w/ the formation.

Actually the recommendation I'm hearing more and more from the top L/O's is a little bit different. I'm not going to pretend to give coaching over the net on this one, but I'm sure there's somebody out there that can explain what was being recommended at the Perris 124-ways just last weekend.

Something about a "nice stadium shape" -- anybody? Beuller? Beuller?
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Yeah... I think The stadium thing applies in the big picture. I was refering to like the last bit of closing distance to your slot. Point being, don't arrive at your slot 4' above the formation and drop down to it for the dock.

That's all I meant.:)
Ken
"Buttons aren't toys." - Trillian
Ken