andy2

2 way exits?

Hello, I am looking for any recomendations for what I can do with another (inexperienced) jumper to work on exit skills that will help me when I proceed to 4 ways. So far I have done a diving exit/dock, and an exit where I hung onto the guy's chest strap. How else is there to exit a 2 way that would as closely as possible mimic what I would be doing with 4 way (so I can get more comfortable with the feeling, etc before I actualy start doing 4 way)...

Thanks! :)

---------------------------------------------
let my inspiration flow,
in token rhyme suggesting rhythm...

I'm still a young gun in this sport with only 80 jumps. The only advice i can tell you is jump 2-ways with a coach. You will learn more in 5 jumps with a coach than you will in 20 jumps with another inexperienced jumper, not to mention the added risks. I soloed alot of my jumps and then just asked around the DZ for coached jumps. Sometimes i pay his ride sometimes he pays his ride but i have learned a HUGE amount in the last 10 2-way and 3-way jumps. Think of it this way. How much do you think you will learn with someone who has 500-1000 jumps as opposed to someone who has 50-100 jumps. Get a coach and spend the extra money. What you learn in just a few dives is priceless. I has been for me. Good luck.

Coach jumps are very helpful, but all airtime is good! If you've got a buddy to do 2 ways with, go for it. You will learn by jumping with someone even if he's at your same level or less experienced. You don't need a coach to do a drill dive. I'm not knocking coaches, really, but if you have enough money for 3 jumps with a buddy or just one with a coach, you are probably better off making the 3 jumps. (just my opinion)

Soak up the "free" coaching on the ground while you are dirt diving, or like Quade said, find a 4 way guy to show you some good exits. There are always people around to help.

I know of one reasonably foolproof 2 way exit, with one person inside the plane (diver) and the other out (floater.) The person on the inside takes both shoulder grips of the person on the outside. Its actually a good way to practice both diving and floating, plus getting the exit timing down. And, it usually works!

good luck and have fun!

maura

Hello, I am looking for any recomendations for what I can do with another (inexperienced) jumper to work on exit skills that will help me when I proceed to 4 ways. So far I have done a diving exit/dock, and an exit where I hung onto the guy's chest strap. How else is there to exit a 2 way that would as closely as possible mimic what I would be doing with 4 way (so I can get more comfortable with the feeling, etc before I actualy start doing 4 way)...

Thanks! :)

Don't just do chunked exits. Freefly the exit and practice swooping and docking. No good for competition 4-way, but excellent practice for bigger stuff. You'd be surprised how many people who can turn a bunch of 4-way points are very slow to swoop/dock on, say a 12 way or 16 way.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

you've got a point. Not to mention swooping is fun as shit. I was just thinking of linked exits if Im with another inexperienced jumper. I don't want to waste 4-5k just linking up, hehe. :$

---------------------------------------------
let my inspiration flow,
in token rhyme suggesting rhythm...

Over the years I have done a lot of impromptu coaching. One of the most common complaints I hear from beginners is that they can't get any swooping practice. So I let them do it to me on two ways, which is as safe as can be done. I also second the views above that you should freefly exits--with both outside, one in/one out, and both inside. Also do a mix of chunking them. Variety is good, and there is a lot to be done with just two people. Also you can often get a video person to get your exit for you if they are in a group after you.

-- Jeff
My Skydiving History

Just be very careful when practicing swooping down to a formation. Large separations can lead to very high closing speeds. Be sure to give yourself enough room to slow down before docking.

That's the advantage of having just a two way. It is easier for the base to keep an eye on the swooper all the way.

-- Jeff
My Skydiving History

Yes. When I was doing my B-rels, my instructor told me that if I am approaching properly, then he'll be there for me to take grips. If I'm coming in fast, he'll turn, so that I would take side grips if I kept going. Thats how he told me if I was too fast. If I was belting in, he'd turn sideways, wait for me to slow down, and if I didn't, he'd just track off for a bit to get out of my way.
--
Arching is overrated - Marlies

A realy nice linked exit you can do that will be great practice for launching a 4-way is for one of you to float and the other to dive in a linked exit.

If the floater hangs on to plane on whatever outside grips there are on the plane. The diver squats inside and takes upper arm grips on the floater. Make sure the divers arms are inside the floaters when they take the grips.

The diver should be looking at the floaters face to get the key (eye contact is all in RW). Floater can key the exit with his leg or a shake/nod whatever.

On exit the diver should just present his body to the wind and drop off with legs fairly striaght, taking hold of the divers grips as he does so. The diver should do a standard dive exit, again presenting to the wind, with his feet up his arse so the formation doesnt "flip" on the hill.

This should level out real quick and give you plenty of working time. Its also great for practicing exits as its basically a scalled down version of how to best lauch a stable 4-way. If you cant get this exit right you are just gonna funnle a 4-way, so practice.

Keep switching exit positions so you get to practice both as when it comes to 4-way your position may be determined by your weight relative to the other jumpers.

This advice comes from someone who has just been doing a lot of RW practice at your kinda level and has worked really well for me.

something you can try is since you are getting out just before the freefliers ask if they can get a shot of your exit, a few beers for the effort would make him/her smile. I've never paid for a coach jump and never have charged for one. ASK for help, most will be glad to help. Seeing what is going on often is more helpful than being told;)