ernokaikkonen

Rig design and misrouted bridles

Kevin's post in Incidents got me thinking. Since that was not the first and won't be the last time someone has a container lock due to a misrouted bridle, could this be taken in to account in rig design? Would it be possible to design a more "idiot-proof" rig, in which misrouting the bridle would be more difficult?

In the attachment, the red dotted line marks the new suggested cut of the side flaps, so that their upper edge would flush with the pocket of the last flap. This would make it look weird if the bridle was routed from above the side flaps.

The continuous red line represents the proper routing of the bridle in this "idiot-proof"-system.

So, all you riggers and rig-designers out there, what do you think? Is there some fundamental flaw in my idea or would it just be impractical for some reason? The main advantage would be of course that there's one less place to jam the bridle in(under the sideflaps). What disadvatages this design would have? Other than the fact that it would be new and different.

container_lock_2.jpg

Interesting idea. So the top of the side flaps would be flush with the line where the pin protection flap is tucked in on this container...

What if you could order your bridle in a contrasting color from the main closing flaps? If that bridle was any other color than black, the routing error would be obvious.

Black is such an unsafe color.;);)

Ken

"Buttons aren't toys." - Trillian
Ken

In the attachment, the red dotted line marks the new suggested cut of the side flaps, so that their upper edge would flush with the pocket of the last flap. This would make it look weird if the bridle was routed from above the side flaps.

Isn't that similar to the way the Atom is designed (not sure about the Legend)? I don't have an Atom, so I'm having trouble visualising but don't they have an extra flap at the top that effectively seals that area and forces the bridle and the pin to be routed from the bottom?

don't they have an extra flap at the top that effectively seals that area and forces the bridle and the pin to be routed from the bottom?

This was true with the older Atoms. The Legend is packed pretty much the same as most newer rigs, except that the bridle is supposed to come from under the side flaps. There's nothing to prevent the jumper from routing it from above though. I should know, I've only jumped my new rig twice(4 months ago) and I packed it exactly the way it's not supposed to be packed...:$ RTFM!

"The designers of idiot-proof systems frequently underestimate the ingenuity of true idiots."

Attached is the closing sequence of the Legend.

4-6.png

1-3.png

Interesting idea. So the top of the side flaps would be flush with the line where the pin protection flap is tucked in on this container...

What if you could order your bridle in a contrasting color from the main closing flaps? If that bridle was any other color than black, the routing error would be obvious.

Black is such an unsafe color.;);)

Ken

I was thinking abotu the same thing.. when I recovered my bright orange freebag it kinda got me tthinking "Maybe the bridle should be bright orange as well" :)

Erno:

your diagram also reminds me of a 'very' old Canadian design, the bullitt (sp?). It wouldn't surprise me a bit if there reason these modern side flaps have been tapered is for "style and fit" with smaller and smaller mains dictating a general pattern change. Who knows, I'm not a rig designer.

Interesting points of a contrasting bridle colour - my racer is beige (ya, stylish I know, but at least it's old too ;)) and my bridle is black.

Dave

Life is very short and there's no time for fussing and fighting my friend (Lennon/McCartney)

And for the sake of completeness, here's a pic of an older Atom.

You also have the possibility of misrouting the bridle with one of these (I´ve got one), by packing bottom-top-left-right instead of bottom-left-right-top. that way the bridle isn´t ´forced´to come out from the bottom. So these aren´t foolproof either...

ciel bleu,
Saskia

Interesting points of a contrasting bridle colour - my racer is beige (ya, stylish I know, but at least it's old too ) and my bridle is black.

Attached are pics of my Atom Legend.
-atom_malfuntion.jpg has the bridle routed to cause a container lock. It looks quite clear that all is not as should be. The contrasting bridle color helps a lot.
-atom_incorrect.jpg shows the way I've jumped the rig twice. If this way of routing the bridle was made impossible by the rig design, it would also eliminate the "trapped bridle"(I think).
-atom_bythebook.jpg is the correct way shown in the manual.

(oh yeah, remember I'm not a rigger, I just like to ramble about things that interest me.:P)

atom_bythebook.jpg

atom_incorrect.jpg

atom_malfunction.jpg

-atom_incorrect.jpg shows the way I've jumped the rig twice. If this way of routing the bridle was made impossible by the rig design, it would also eliminate the "trapped bridle"(I think

This is how I've always packed my Talon2 and I've never had any problems...whats the possible problem here!!

jason
Freedom of speech includes volume

I don't see anything wrong with the Atom_Incorrect. The "by the book" version routes the bridle like a Racer, the incorrect routes the bridle like just about every other container manufacture out there.

(as far as I could tell by that picture, which may not represent all that is present).
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

>This is how I've always packed my Talon2 and I've never had any
> problems...whats the possible problem here!!

If the upper part of the bridle, between the cover and the pin, is too short, it can cause a PC in tow. That's why some rigs have velcro right there, to remind you to leave enough slack so that can't happen. BTW this is also the way I pack my Talon and Reflex; I pack my Racer like the 'atom recommended' method since it is closed differently.