ranchgirl

What's the best container for a petite female?

I'm thinking of buying a new container soon and was just wondering if any of you out there have any good advice on which rigs may be better for petite females. I'm 5'0" 120lbs. I've overheard some women complain about their rigs and talk about how some are better fitting for smaller frames.

If you really know a LOT about all different kinds of rigs in this regard, I'd really love to hear from you. I'm also going to ask people I trust as well soon.

I'd also really like to hear some comments from women with issues with their new rigs they bought so I can know what to look out for.

Thanks!
-Crystal

well mirage has there "S" meaning short series of small containers.

the smaller wings containers are pretty short. i know the one that i have is a bit short for me, and i'm 5'7" and it's a W-4 for a 120 reserve and a 100 or smaller main.

and the mirage g4 is built pretty short too, all of em from what i understand

i can't think of any more that have a specific rig for short jumpers, or are just kinda built short

later

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Reflexes scale quite nicely to the smaller female sizes.

does bomber productions still have the "S class" version of the reflex.

Bomber Products incorporated and is now called Trident Harness & Container, Inc. The website is www.tridenthc.com

We're not actively producing the Reflex II anymore, but we can still build them on request. Primarily we're producing replacement parts for current Reflex owners so they're not left out in the cold. We can also do repairs/mods to the rigs.

The S-class planform basically shortened the reserve tray by 1 inch. This effectively sits the rig higher on your back, making it more comfortable for users with a shorter torso, ie - women. When the Viper is released, it will use some of the same back pad lengths as the S-class (not that the rig is even remotely like the Reflex). It also incorporates a roll-over legpad design specifically used to reduce...ummm..."pinch"...in that area (something that our female test market told us was a "necessary" improvement.)

On a separate note, I know that there a lot of jumpers who were quite concerned about their Reflex systems when Fliteline went out of business. If anyone has questions about the rig, spare parts or anything having to do with the Reflex, please feel free to PM me or send an email to [email protected] and I'll get back to you.

Ryan Gifford
Trident H&C, Inc.
Rigging65

"...and once you had tasted flight, you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward.
For there you have been, and there you long to return..."

Lisa (Mouth) has one of the short Mirages I believe and she's pretty teensy. I have a Wings but then I'm narrow but as tall as a lot of guys so that's probably no help to you. IT does fit good on my short torso though, and the leg straps ad chest strap are perfect.

Just keep swimming...just keep swimming....

You might want to ask this also on the women's forum. But a lot of rigs seem to come in short sizes. You might want to think about specific things that you want -- low or high chest strap, narrow shoulders, wide hips, etc.

The rig I've seen that molds best to narrow shoulders is the Racer NOS. They can be made very small. That said, I have a Javelin, and it's plenty small for me (although I'm about 4" taller than you).

Next time you're somewhere with a lot of people, ask to try on rigs. Obviously not on jump run ;), but when things are winding down or winded out.

Wendy W.

There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Lisa (Mouth) has one of the short Mirages I believe and she's pretty teensy. I have a Wings but then I'm narrow but as tall as a lot of guys so that's probably no help to you. IT does fit good on my short torso though, and the leg straps ad chest strap are perfect.

I have an MXS and TequilaGirl has an MZS, both very very tiny rigs, and both of us are really small. The thing is mirage only makes the S series for certain size canopies, so it kind of depends on what size canopy she wants.

Most really tiny rigs have 113 or 106 reserves.
Fly it like you stole it!

speaking of that rig, will it be coming out next week at PIA??

We aren't going to actually take the rigs (too much to move too far), but I/we will be there to answer questions. I'll be at the Flite Suit and Action Air booths most of the time, so stop by and ask for Ryan.

"...and once you had tasted flight, you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward.

We aren't going to actually take the rigs (too much to move too far),

:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

damn, i was interested in trying one on.

but I/we will be there to answer questions. I'll be at the Flite Suit and Action Air booths most of the time, so stop by and ask for Ryan.

i think that i met you at the last PIA, and since my mom is a dealer for action air/flite suit, and i will be taking that over soon (she doesn't quite know it yet, but i'll let her know soon :)
later

I'm looking to fit a 135 main and a 126 reserve in this rig. (I'm looking to buy new btw). I think the problem might be that until I'm ready for a 120 (which I don't think will be for a while bc I'm still jumping a 150--prob go to the 135 this season) most of the rigs that hold 135's might be too big.

As you can see from my stats I'm not a skinny twig either. I'd still love to hear more from other smaller women and what they do and don't like about their rigs.

I've not really heard anything about the Reflex except on this forum...don't know if I've see one either.
-Crystal

well if you like mirage they do have the MOS, which holds a 126 main and even your 150 should fit in it, but it will be tight and according to mirage's chart you could eventually go as small crossfire 109 and pretty much the 120 in every other canopy style.http://www.miragesys.com/order/sizing/size-mos.html
Fly it like you stole it!

I'm looking to fit a 135 main and a 126 reserve in this rig. (I'm looking to buy new btw). I think the problem might be that until I'm ready for a 120

just wondering, if you don't think you can handle a 120 main, what makes you think you can handle a 126 "F-111" seven cell if you have to use it?? i don't mean to be an ass, but it doesn't make any sense to me to have a smaller main than reserve, when you know that you can't handle that small of a main.

just my opinion though

later

I know, but it'll be worth the wait...;)

I'll tell you all about it in Florida.

but it doesn't make any sense to me to have a smaller main than reserve, when you know that you can't handle that small of a main.

I agree that the reserve should be larger than the main as well...I don't know if saying that one cannot handle a smaller main is a fair statement.:)Cheers!
BB

I know, but it'll be worth the wait...

I'll tell you all about it in Florida.

cool

so when do you think they will be ready to be ordered??

later

Definitely the Racers. You can get them really skinny over the shoulders which is great for us girls with narrow shoulders. They're only 1" wide over the shoulder instead of 2" like most (not all) other containers. The other big thing I like about the Racers is that they flex right in the middle between the main and the reserve containers. This makes them much more comfortable in hard arch than other rigs for me because most rigs that don't bend dig into my bed right where I arch. I'm just too short for most rigs - because even the super-short rigs don't fit me right. The Racers are longer than some other rigs, but they're skinnier and narrower and they're more flexible which is why I love them so much.

W

I´ve got an Atom 00, which holds a 128/126 reserve and a 120-150 main (150 spectre was tight, 170 halfZP-halfF111 was ok). It fits me fine, especially round the shoulder. A friend of mine is smaller than me and has a Atom 0. Only 2 other rigs that sorta fit me were a Racer and a very small Javelin.

I always had/have issues with student/rental gear (lenghtwise and widthwise), Atoms just fit me best.

Not real sure if you can buy Atom overseas tho.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

PdF harnesses are TSO'd, but you'll have to import them yourself (maybe from Canada?) PdF does not take dealers in the USA because of liability issues.

There is a size smaller than the 00 even (the 000), but Saskia isn't quite as small as 5' (152 cm for the imperially challenged). More like 5'8" (170 cm). Sas, how tall are you?

Note 00 or 000 is a container size, I don't know what harness sizes PdF has.
Johan.
I am. I think.

I'm looking to fit a 135 main and a 126 reserve in this rig. (I'm looking to buy new btw).

this is exactly the combination i have, i'm short and of average build. i'm only 5'5 (with sneakers on:)I got an odyssey (B15 measure) and it fits fine. don't even notice it when it's on.:)

Hi Crystal,

I went through this same ordeal buying my first container because I have a small frame too. I ended up buying a Vector 3 Micron, and I've been very happy with it. It is a very short and narrow rig, and I think Relative Workshop is one of the highest quality manufacturers... And the Vector appears to me to be the best design as far as safety goes (IMHO).

My only complaint is that it packs very tight. I have one that is made for 120/120, which is exactly what I have in it and it is very hard to pack (though I somehow managed to pack my 135 in it when I first got it!) I think if you got one cut for the 135 main that it would be tight with the 135 in it, but then it would hold the 120 comfortably. (This advice might be wrong if you live in a very humid climate - I'm out here in Perris where it's very dry, so that makes everything pack tighter.)

Now I have been selling skydiving equipment for the past two years, and I have seen a lot of different rigs that fit small women very well - Javelin, Wings, Talon, Voodoo, Infinity, Mirage (and the Micron of course)... so I would recommend any one of these containers.

I won't claim to be an expert on gear, but I have had a lot of experience with different containers and dealing with the problems of being small in this sport... but I think there are now enough small women in the sport that most manufacturers are able to make containers to fit us well ;-)

Good luck! :)