kevin922

Custom canopies?

Was wondering -

these canopies that have logos, brand names, etc.. on them (Such as a Yahoo! canopy) that are used for promo jumps.. how are those made? Is that a print on the fabric or is it a logo sewn on the parachute? What is the typical cost involved with getting a "custom" canopy?

Simple things like a block letter or a few might run a hundred to two hundred, but there are a few canopies out there (rumors of a picture of a Tiger on a Cobalt come to mind) where the cost of the work is almost the cost of a canopy.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Depends on the manufacturer.

PD creates the logo or design in fabric which is sewn onto the canopy when the canopy is being built. Definitely adds to the pack volume; how much depends on how big and complex the logo is. Can also affect flight characteristics of the canopy; they don't recommend doing logos on Velocity's or smaller Stilettos for this reason.

Price is a whole 'nother issue. The price varies depending on the canopy size and the size and complexity of the logo, and is always in addition to the price of the canopy. I've seen some where the cost of the logo actually exceeded the cost of the canopy - a very intricate eagle that went to Russia comes to mind; that one cost twice as much as the canopy alone. They're always happy to quote on logo work; you'd need to work through a dealer and have "camera ready" artwork to send them (they can't quote on the logo without it).

Not sure if he's still around, but there used to be a guy who advertised in Skydiving mag; he could "paint" a logo or design on an already built canopy. No idea how much it cost or how long it would last.

if they don't recomend it, why do the sponsered guys have it on all there canopies??

Just because they don't recommend it for Joe Jumper doesn't mean they won't do it, or that their team jumpers aren't capable of dealing with any differences...

well, PISA will put on logo's for a lot less than eveyone else. i had my dz's name under my heatwave, and they did it for 100 bucks. my dads work bought a canopy that had "united way" and the united way logo (like a hand or something) and that was like 150 bucks. so, if you like PISA canopies, aka heatwave, hornet. then it is pretty cheap, but also adds a lot of pack volume. the logo is sew onto the material, and makes a big difference.

oh, and if you don't like heatwaves or hornets, wait about another week and PISA will have a new canopy out, they say it is really nice. and a new container.
and one more suprize that i can't say anything about ;). all coming out at PIA next week

later

Just because they don't recommend it for Joe Jumper doesn't mean they won't do it, or that their team jumpers aren't capable of dealing with any differences...

right, but it seams a bit weird to me that they say, don't get it, but we'll put it on our team canopies. ya know.:P

later

PISA does it very reasonably, everyone else charges almost as much as the base price of the canopy to do most logo work...go figure...

We had a Heat Wave done for a customer with his web address on both end cells and his company logo across the bottom of the canopy and I think they only charged like $700 extra for all that. Looked GREAT!..and they delivered it fast.

"...and once you had tasted flight, you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward.
For there you have been, and there you long to return..."

New PISA canopy, huh? My intrest is peaked...

ya, from what dominic (the engineer who designed it)tells me, it is bad ass. it's not crossbraced or airlocked or anything like that, but in the range of like crossfires i guess *i am not sure about this* i'll let everyone know when i jump one. dominic is suposed to bring me one to jump, a smaller on, like a 90 or 95 or something like that. but i'm not sure if he still is, i'll have to check

later

Think it will be like a factory direct H-mod Heatwave, but maybe with more of a formed nose?

um, well, i don't think so. but maybe. i just know it is different, even better openings, and better swoops.

i can let ya know that as soon as i see it at PIA, don't need to jump it to tell that. but the rest, to find how it actually performs, i need to jump it.

later

They also have HMA line sets for their Velocities, but thats not an option for regular jumpers

ya, but i'm sure if you had enough money they would put em on for ya :P

later

Actually, Pd wont put Hma lines on canopys. Hma doesnt accept a cascade well at all, (Thus the no cascade design for the xaos) and from what I have heard from the people jumping HMA velocities they will be returning to vectran as the HMA they are using is so small that it only lasts about 100 jumps. And the difference isnt worth the work. Also there is a debate over cascade/no cascade evidently the cascade is a good thing, maybe someone that knows about this will elaborate on the subject more. If you have a any questions about it im sure you can contact John Le Blanc at pd and he will let you know the whole story about it, as I dont work for PD and dont know it. But they wont put HMA lines on velocities, heck Icarus wont put them on Extreme's either, but Precision will.

Ray
Small and fast what every girl dreams of!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In Reply To
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

They also have HMA line sets for their Velocities, but thats not an option for regular jumpers

ya, but i'm sure if you had enough money they would put em on for ya

later

Actually, Pd wont put Hma lines on canopys

oh god, it was supposed to be funny, ya know, haha. like they'll do anything if you have enough money. i didn't really think they would:P:S

later

I know a good rigger in Colorado that could probably do the mod for you, if you had the line trim specs and the lines. I'm not sure though, since he's a crazy mo-fo that jumps a hanky of a VX that's about the same size of a tandem slider...
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I know a good rigger in Colorado that could probably do the mod for you, if you had the line trim specs and the lines. I'm not sure though, since he's a crazy mo-fo that jumps a hanky of a VX that's about the same size of a tandem slider...

hehehe....yeah but I'd like it done with in the next year. :P He is currently swamped with rigging work (which is a great thing) and getting his master ticket (should have it in the next 2 months or so), so my stuff get pushed off to the side.

Also I want to make sure that PD doesn't do like cobalt and the trim actually compensates for shrinkage. (ie it may not be recommended to switch lines)
Fly it like you stole it!

Also I want to make sure that PD doesn't do like cobalt and the trim actually compensates for shrinkage.

I didn't know that, I wonder how drastically that effects the canopy performance/opening/etc when the lineset is new?
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."