Jumperpaula

Why ??

Well now that Jumperpaula is posting in here, I am going to post too, just so that my post can be beneath hers. Since this post doesn't yet actually have a RW relate topic here's a question.
I am on the s/l progressions. At what second delays will I most likely start having problems with unintentional turns in freefall, if I have those problems at all?
Oh by the way, I have never actually met paula, but she is pretty damn cool. :D
"Let the rabbits wear glasses. . . "

I actually started my 15 second delays with trouble starting the turn.
The dive went like this:
-Poised exit, come off the hill, check alti.
-Turn time. Dip shoulder. Nothing.
-Try again. Dip shoulder, with emphasis. Nothing.
-Check alti. This is taking too long.
-One more time, with feeling. Bury my shoulder. Holy crap.
I went around two times very fast before I started to slow the turn. I was still rotating faster than I would have liked to at pull time. My JM and I eventually came to the conclusion that I was actually dropping my knee as well as my shoulder, so I would slide sideways. On my next jump, I started the turn fine, but hadn't got it completely stopped at pull time.
The jump after that (20 second delay), I did an interesting 360 manuever during the diving exit, then did the turn and got it stopped exactly on heading. Felt awesome. That also happened to be the first jump were I was relaxed in freefall.
--
Brian
Homepage

Paula, most likely because most RW questions are thought of at the DZ in the middle of the day and there are tons of people around to help out and answer. RW is easier to visualize for some people so they don't need to ask lots of questions, they just need to practice more. Gear questions need a rigger and the rigger might not be at the dz when you think of a question. Freeflying is still in its infancy compaired to RW so the knowledge has'nt spread that far yet. Swooping advice needs to be bounced off of as many people as possible since lots of "local experts" really don't understand how to really swoop. Sure they can go 150 feet plus in a swoop, but the advice might be all wrong so people question it.
I want to touch the sky, I want to fly so high ~ Sonique

Perhaps it's because relative workers are generally quite old and haven't figured out them durn new fangled computer thingies?

Be nice. Paula ain't old and she's pretty darn sharp.
I think phree probably hit it on the head. There are *many* more RW mentors available to hit up at the DZ than there are for freefly. I go to two big DZs and it's still amazing the shortage of qualified people to give good freefly advice.
OTOH, there are lots of extremely experienced RW folks around to bounce questions off of and do jumps with. Now imagine if you're at a little Cessna DZ. You may be the *only* person around even interested in freefly, so about the only other place to turn (other than another DZ) is the Internet.
"Zero Tolerance: the politically correct term for zero thought, zero common sense."

At what second delays will I most likely start having problems with unintentional turns in freefall, if I have those problems at all?

The great thing about this forum is that you will find a ton of information on that very subject. Go back through old threads in Safety and Training, and even Talkback and you will find lots and lots of people with the same problems, and experts with good suggestions.
When I was researching changing canopies, I found ALOT of good stuff by going back through the old threads.
That's what I want for the RW Forum. A wealth of resources. I guess it takes awhile to build what they have in say....Safety and Training.
Very good points about the ability to get personal help. Guess we should take it as a compliment that people have to ask more about FF & Swoop that RW.
Fly Your Slot !

I am on the s/l progressions. At what second delays will I most likely start having problems with unintentional turns in freefall, if I have those problems at all?

I started having problems at 10 second delays. I managed to not have unintentional turns enough so that I moved up to 15 seconds, when I had more problems.
You don't need all that much time to turn unintentionally. ;)

Why does RW forum have the least amount of traffic?

Are people scared, Intimidated? Turned off?

Gezz, 2/3 of skydiving is RW. What's up with that?

Fly Your Slot !

Its a old discipline, one of the first....unfortunatly it's needed as a learning platform, ya gotta start on the belly and work out from there...kids want to become expert in the hot new stuff nright away& figgure its easy to master without advice plus its probably not cool to be seen talking to the old fuddy duddy RW types.[:/] bet their lurking it though ;) bsbs
relax kids, all you need is airtime airtime airtime and the ability to relax of course
Plan your dive and dive your plan bsbs

I started having problems at 10 second delays. I managed to not have unintentional turns enough so that I moved up to 15 seconds, when I had more problems.

You don't need all that much time to turn unintentionally. ;)

No joke....not arching hard enough is the key problem I expect. causes line twists for S/L types also...in answer; you can come off the dope rope turning because you spun coming off the strut. as far as the free fall progressions....same thing/ ARCH HARD....as your jumps build up you will develop a relaxed boxman posture and the turns will ease off,
if theirs still a problem, check gear- hand arms and leg position. Keep everything in ballance...Most students I saw had just as hard a time with intentional turns.....:) bsbs

airtime airtime airtime

relax kids, all you need is airtime airtime airtime and the ability to relax of course

I checked your profile and see you married Mike Smith, he was the JM/I in charge of the program
at SPX Leauge City when I went thru SL/FJC in the early 1990's at over 50 years old...Sold me my first new rig ;)
Hope he's doing well, I checked Wallers staff
page but didn't see him, being a most excellent Master Rigger he had gear sales and was running the student program there when I had my stroke and retired.....Is he still a active skydiver?
[email] bsbs

She married a different Mike Smith; AKA anti-Mike. MS is off RV'ing across the country with Janice, which is why you don't see him on the Waller staff page any more.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

She married a different Mike Smith; AKA anti-Mike. MS is off RV'ing across the country with Janice, which is why you don't see him on the Waller staff page any more.

Wendy W.

Thanks for the info Wendy....Paula already e-mailed that her mike was the Not Mike Smith guy [email]

Maybe it has to do with the opinions expressed here. This forum seems to be "run" by a few talking heads. Perhaps people enter this forum to read and laugh. I find that often times the people posting information are low in experience or low on talent.

You have to pick and choose what advice you follow. Listen to the guys from Mass D, C Irwin, the guys from GT, and people like that. A lot of times you have to wade through pages of crap to get to the answers that are reasonable and experience based.