gemini

Planning RW Dives

This is still a hard thing for me. Everytime I think Im getting better at seeing the puzzles - Someone plans something that blows my mind.
Try drawing at random from the Dive Pool then putting it together with no help-it's not as simple as you would think. Give you alot of respect for what teams are faced with.
Fly Your Slot !

Try drawing at random from the Dive Pool then putting it together with no help-it's not as simple as you would think. Give you alot of respect for what teams are faced with.

What you need is someone to explain to you how to make a simple plan that works consistantly.
Try picking up a copy of Skydive 4'99. It's kinda pricy, but will open your eyes to how the big-boys are doing it.
Then, sit down and figure out what makes sense for YOUR team. For instance, if you're a casual weekend team doing intermediate dives, does it make sense to practice EVERY exit (with the possibility of a funnel) or does it make more sense to practice ONE really helpful exit and perform a transition that will be bulletproof.
Obviously, for the top teams every micro-second counts and they'll want to do every exit, every mirror exit and every slot switched exit. But if you're just starting out, it -may- make a heck of a lot of sense to launch a Meeker for everything and save a lot of time not having to worry about funnels.
Paul
http://futurecam.com/skydive.html

(let me preface this by saying I compete on an advanced 4way team and absolutely love it)...
many of the exits are similar i.e point always goes up and out, tail down and away, etc.... instead of buying 4'99 (which is a little dated now), go to a 4way camp (not addressed to Paul, just in general) -- you'll learn the technique, slots and where you need to go faster, plus you get to spend your money jumping!! :)

I think the 4'99 is still a great aid and something you can refer back to as often as you wish. Get a couple of your friends together and split the cost. Coaches are fine, but don't be fooled, you are not spending all of that money on skydives. Want to have a ton of fun and get some really great coaching for free? Get a team together and compete in your region of the National Skydiving League.
http://www.skyleague.com/
There is a novice class for those newer people who are afraid that they "aren't good enough to compete". Nonsense! Kurt Gaebel has done a fantastic job of putting this together and it is growing every year. You can't imagine how fun and easy it is and there are always experienced jumpers/teams that will go out of their way to help/coach the new jumpers. If you have a brand new "A" and 50 jumps, and want to learn 4 way, it is the way to go. Once you have some experience and want to make a bigger committment, then go out and hire a coach or two, they will help you get to the next level.
alan

I agre and disagree, while 4'99 is OK and whows where you need to be for different things, Airspeed does some things differently in their exits a novice team wouldn't do. Plus if you're new to the whole 4way thing, it will be very hard to "get" at first. a skills camp with the video to go along with it is the best of both worlds. Of course depending on the coach, it could be different that the 4'99 tape, as that tape is Airspeed's continuity plan for THAT year. Airspeed is selling a "best of" tape that may actually be better.

I have been to a few Airspeed camps and agree that if you get the cashand time to go ther DO IT. However, if you are isolated then anyexperienced point of view may help. Alsoit was what they reomended to me as a good introduction tape before coming to the Skills Camp.
God bless us and God Bless America
Albatross

Planning RW Dives is sooo much more than 4 way. - It's knowing skill levels and being able to put someone in a slot that challenges them - Yet still have a good skydive. Im sure we have all bought a jump ticket on a skydive we KNEW would never work. But I watch people plan and execute good skydives, challenging even pushing our level of experience, but only so far. A very well planned RW dive builds your confidence with your skills.
Fly Your Slot !

somewhere 4way came up, and that's what I was responding too :)

Speaking of 4 way...This team stuff at the DZ is going insane!
Teams are building, practicing already, still looking for committments, jockeying for position, waiting for offers....It's like the stock market or something. ;)
Ive declined, but offered to fill in for practice sometimes. Guess I better study my 4'99 huh? But fill in for practice should be kinda easy, just fly the slot your filling...right?
Fly Your Slot !