Finger2003

Cypres.......dangerous?????

Yes Cypri have "high pressure gas powered" guillotines to cut the closing loops. Fortunately the high pressure gas is completely contained and you cannot even smell the difference after you scare your Cypres.
They have used the same technology on helicopter rescue hoist guilotines for the last 50 years with zero escape of hot gases.

quote: "

I do not think that there is an high pressure gas container in the cutter. The piston is driven by gas just like a bullet in a gun. The gas comes from an explosion from the propellant.

" end quote.

You are correct. However, terrorists have been so effective and security personelle are so paranoid that we are no longer allowed to tell the truth. So we tell half-truths about "high pressure" gases and politely forget to tell them what generates those gases.

The chances of high pressure/high temperature gases escaping from a Cypres cutter are about the same as your chances of being killed by an elephant in Fairbanks, Alaska.

You are correct. However, terrorists have been so effective and security personelle are so paranoid that we are no longer allowed to tell the truth. So we tell half-truths about "high pressure" gases and politely forget to tell them what generates those gases.

Even that doesn't always work. I was forced to put my rig under the plane , and almost wasn't even allowed to do that, coming back from Eloy a while back. The Security guys knew some of the key words like Cypres, AAD, etc. But their major concern were the batteries, not the cutter.

Show them the Airport security card that comes with each unit first, then...

Not that I really advocate it, but if you're gong to lie, I'd tell them it's a electro-mechanical altitude sensing system that uses the same batteries as a flashlight and has no parts that fire out of it or anything like that. That's what got them to allow me to put it under the plane.

"...and once you had tasted flight, you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward.
For there you have been, and there you long to return..."

Forget about Karl Marx or Kaizer Whilhelm, it is Helmet Cloth who is going to take over the planet.
He has already taken over most of the DZs in Germany and the USA, now he has taken over ALL of France!

Which country is next?.

Seriously, Mr. Cloth has done us a favor by reducing skydiving fatalities. About 90% of the reserves I pack these days contain AADs. It is only a matter of time before they become mandatory on all DZs.

well that rules out france for me then I guess...well untill i can afford one that is....

you REALLY have to stop using that as an excuse. You've got newer and better gear then anybody i know. If you wanted one, you'd have one. For you, it's never been about money.

Stop trying to tell us otherwise. >:(

_AM
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.