Marc84

Drop zone is thinking about banning turns over 90°

Do you know what would be even worse?

Having the skydivers jump within maximum suspended weight per warning placard.

One DZ was talking about doing that, on top of restricted turns.

Velocity's max exit weight is 211 btw.
Bernie Sanders for President 2016

jumpwally

You are way off base,,here it is,,,the only folks that are impressed by swooping,,,,wait for it,,,,other swoopers...!!

See the other two post below,,they are spot on.....

If you really want to be a canopy pilot and an ambassador for the discipline, it's small minded people like this you must be more mature than. The evolution of swooping has separated us from the rest of the jumpers mainly for our own safety. There is absolutely no safe way to do a 270 deg turn from 900' in the main load traffic pattern. The obvious solution for a swoop friendly DZ IMO is anything more than 90 deg turn only be allowed on low passes. Professional canopy pilot coaching also helps silence the critics. Shows you're dedicated to flying your wing properly, you're not just trying to look cool. Now if the DZO is trying to protect people from themselves then he or she is just a control freak and I wouldn't want to jump there anyway!!!

A blanket rule is never good, because there will always be a situation where the safest thing to do is more than 90 and on top of that it only takes a 90 degree turn for a canopy collision if you are not aware of your surroundings like turning onto base when someone on final, etc...

I've stopped jumping when the DZ gave me shit about doing 120 degree turn in 90 degree area.

Sometimes you have to turn little more to get it to come out perfect. Nobody wants to come out high out of the turn and land all mushy.

After spending 25 bucks I want atleast one thing done right on the skydive, and that is either freefall or landing.

If neither has been achieved, I'm fucking pissed.

After so many pissed off fun jumps, I asked myself, "why am I risking my life and my time only to get pissed and eggy?"
Bernie Sanders for President 2016

jumpwally

You are way off base,,here it is,,,the only folks that are impressed by swooping,,,,wait for it,,,,other swoopers...!!

See the other two post below,,they are spot on.....

That's a ridiculous statement and you know it. That's like saying that the only people who like nascar racing are other nascar drivers. I can't count how many times friends and family of a first time tandem jumper waiting in the spectator have stopped me on my way to the packing area and commented on a swoop landing in sheer amazement. The same has happened to my swooping friends. Somebody who witnesses a well executed swoop for the first time can fully appreciate the technicality, skill and danger of it all without being a skydiver themselves especially when they're comparing it to student and tandem landings coming in on the same load.