cwhitchurch

Who's doing D-bag research?

Howdy,

Somewhere I picked up some gossip that a container manufacturer was researching a free-bag-ish line stow pouch for their D-bag. The problem is that I can't remember who it was. Any help?

I spend a lot of time jumping wingsuits. I jump a Mirage with the Wingsuit Mods. I'm really considering sewing a pouch on my bag, so that I can stow lines just like a free bag. I'd really like to talk to folks who have done it. I'm thinking I could flip the bag over, even place it grommet to BOC, mirroring the reserve. It sounds like it could be a cleaner opening. The bag leaves me at a 45. Why not point the bag in that general direction anyway? Folks are already packing grommet to pin. Wouldn't the bag fit the container better this way?

Anything to avoid twists. Diving twists and wings don't get along. My "terminal" is slow enough that PC hesitation is common. I don't think I'll miss the rubber bands. especially when a tight stow could be a twist enducer.

somebody help me with this.

-chris

rigger,
bird-man instructor,
and generally hyperactive geek

Back in the early 1980s, Dave Martin of Fredericton, New Brunswick built me a main d-bag with a Velcro line stow pouch similar to a reserve freebag. I jumped it hundreds of times with Strato-Cloud and Cruislite canopies. It was quick to pack and opened consistently.
Any decent master rigger should be able to sew a similar pocket on your existing main d-bag. The only caveat is to keep your locking stows tight. And ask him/her to sew half of the Velcro onto tiny flaps, similar to Voodoo freebags and BASE tail pockets.

Yep, I have seen it...the guys from XL are jumping it. It is like stowing your lines like a freebag...no rubber bands needed. Its extremely quick to pack. They dont seem to have any problems with it although I am not personally sure how many times you would want to downsize a main in this bag. Its quite brilliant, but we will see how this bag wears over time. They havent had any problems with linedump, twists, etc. Everything is held in by tabs basically. Its pretty tough to explain, you kinda have to see it to understand...I had to look at it a couple of times to really understand whats going on with this d-bag. It is made by Sunpath...Javelin rigs.

This sounds like something CRW jumpers have had for a while.
Or am I away up the wrong alley again?
--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson

Well, judging from the gear that my buddy jumped on the CRW record...its quite a bit different. There are two 4 to 5 inch (guesstimating) rigid locking "stowes" that are part of the bag and then on the front of the bag is a flat "stiffener" flap that holds the figure-8 line stows in. On the side of this flap are a couple of other tuck tabs that hold the flap in place. That is the best way that I can describe it.

Sky(ermmmm can I call you slut?), that sounds like the things I've seen before. If you've seen both and there is a definite difference, I am definitely up the wrong alley.
Thanks for helping me to find my way back out again. :)

--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson

here's what I got in response.

Hi Chris
The new main bag design we are working on is still in testing and doesn't use
any rubber bands at all. We are getting positive feed back from the people
that are already using this bag. More on heading opens, a little smoother and
once the've got used to it a little quicker to pack.
I estimate that this will still be in testing for about 6 - 8 more months.
Only when we are 100% happy will we introduce this type of bag.

[blah blah blah]

Best Regards,
James Haggas (aggie)
Sun Path Products

I havn't given up hope though. I'll keep you folks posted on my search. it really bugs me that us birdfolks seems to have a higher cutaway percentage. gotta solve this somehow.

-chris

Well, judging from the gear that my buddy jumped on the CRW record...its quite a bit different. There are two 4 to 5 inch (guesstimating) rigid locking "stowes" that are part of the bag and then on the front of the bag is a flat "stiffener" flap that holds the figure-8 line stows in. On the side of this flap are a couple of other tuck tabs that hold the flap in place. That is the best way that I can describe it.

Yeah, it's a little different, but the concept is exactly the same as a CRW freestow bag. The kind I've used has a single rubber band closing stow with a velcro closed pounch for the remaining stows.

Bob

Interesting that a D-bag w/o any rubber bands is working well. So much for the "you need tight stows to prevent hard openings" idea. Or "you'll get 'line dump' if your stows aren't tight enough."

What is being used to keep the bad closed until line stretch?

Hook

They are using some sort of bungy set up *I think*. Majik is also jumping them and I talked to Doug for a while about them, but could never catch the container open on the floor when I was thinking about it to take a look.

on another note, I know some folks that have sewn Zpo fabric inside the D-bag to help get the canopy in easier (slippery).

Interesting that a D-bag w/o any rubber bands is working well. So much for the "you need tight stows to prevent hard openings" idea. Or "you'll get 'line dump' if your stows aren't tight enough."

What is being used to keep the bad closed until line stretch?

Hook

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

They are using some sort of bungy set up *I think*. Majik is also jumping them and I talked to Doug for a while about them, but could never catch the container open on the floor when I was thinking about it to take a look.

on another note, I know some folks that have sewn Zpo fabric inside the D-bag to help get the canopy in easier (slippery).

Sounds like a reserve free-bag system with tabs instead of velcro.

[ALF voice], 'Line Dump, HA' [End ALF voice]

Hook