stayhigh

Tail flutter during high speed dive

How many of you have seen this or felt this????

I did the search and seems like this can happen on any x-braced canopy in a high speed dive. And im not talking about breakline being too short, not a bucking feel but more or less quick pulsating vibration.

Any feedback would be nice.
Bernie Sanders for President 2016

A couple of years ago, I think this was commonly seen on the Xaos canopies in competition. I don't know if it has been resolved, or if it needed to be resolved, but it did come up on DZ.com.

About the same time I was getting a reline on my Velo, and seeing as PD bartacks the loop for the toggle, I asked for an extra inch or two of length, and was surprised when they refused.

This lead to an e-mail exchange with John Leblanc where he explained the the length of the brake line was such that it 'held' the tail in place during high speed dives, and that if you made it longer, it would lead to flutter.

However, very recently, like within the last month, I have read here that people have been letting the steering lines out on their Velos, and that one guy even claimed that the factory built him a line set with longer brake lines. I don't know if the longer lines have resulted tail flutter, or if the guy claiming the factory did his is full of shit, but that's what I read.

Overall, I think it's just a function of loose steering lines and super-high airspeeds in a dive. From what I recall back when it was discussed here about the Xaos guys, it was no big deal and it just goes away when you slow down or apply a little control pressure.

Dave, I just had my ve103 relined - it was relined factory - I felt enough tail flutter on front riser input (24" risers) to be concerned, and confirmed to be moderate flutter by other HP pilots on the ground.. Letting 3" out has resolved this issue, and back to where I prefer my brake settings on my canopy.

/no flutter
//no "over" control issues with mild input on transition to toggles

Dave, I just had my ve103 relined - it was relined factory - I felt enough tail flutter on front riser input (24" risers) to be concerned, and confirmed to be moderate flutter by other HP pilots on the ground.. Letting 3" out has resolved this issue,

So short steering lines caused tail flutter? Is this during front riser dives, or is it present when you use only harness?

I ask because short lines have traditionally caused more of a 'bucking' than a flutter, and it comes from pulling the riser with the toggle in your hand, so in essence your diving and braking the canopy at the same time. Traditionally, this has been a problem for 'newbie' swoopers who don't know any better, but who also don't use harness only for any part of their turn. It would be interesting to see if this phenomenon would go away when you release the front riser, but continue the dive with the harness.

Either way, I also have a 103, and it currently has a brand new factory line set. Between the original line set and the first reline a couple years ago, I haven't had any problems with flutter or bucking of any kind. I'll jump this thing in the next couple of days and see how it all shakes out.

i guess it is something similar to that, but i never looked up.

it feels similar to what the video shows.

the flutter starts after around 630 rotation up high, when im facing the ground with high g's, as soon as I slow the turn it goes away.

So short steering lines caused tail flutter? Is this during front riser dives, or is it present when you use only harness?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No. Too loose break lines can cause tail flutter.

Thanks genius. Did you read my entire post, or the post it was referring to? How about my first post on the thread?

The guy claimed tail flutter, and that it was solved by lengthening his steering line by 3 inches. The rest of my post was tyring to find out if it was actual flutter, or the bucking you typically see with short lines.

Quite the contributor, you are.

I sent my standard Velo 90 back to PD for a reline last year around early 2010.
(I originally purchased that Velo with +3 on the brakelines a few years before after having downsized from a Velo 96 that also had extended brake lines).
I changed the brakelines (due to wear) to Vectran a while later after a few swoop comps and kept them at +3.

So back to the PD reline, after extensive talks with PD directly and with a PD Factory Team Pilot I had a new line set fitted again, HMA 500 with +3 on the brakelines.

I ordered a Comp Velo 84 last month and spoke with PD again regarding brakeline length.

PD said to me that they make their Comp Velo with +3 (over the stock Velo) as standard.
And I was also told by PD and confirmed by a PD Factory Team Pilot that the PDFT currently run +6 on their Comp Velos. I assumed they meant +6 over a standard Velo.
So a Comp Velo which is +3 over a standard Velo and +3 again. Get it?

I don't think I've posted this info before but if davelepka is referring to me then I'm definitely not full of shit.

tagline:-
Everytime I log onto dropzone.com I seem to get automatically redirected to davelepka.com instead.......

PD said to me that they make their Comp Velo with +3 (over the stock Velo) as standard.

Correct.

....that the PDFT currently run +6 on their Comp Velos. I assumed they meant +6 over a standard Velo.

Not all of us. It's preference. I like the 'stock' settings for the VC and have my 90, 84, and 79 all 'stock'. Some of the taller folks do have longer settings, it's to accomodate their knuckle dragging arms....:)

tagline:-
Everytime I log onto dropzone.com I seem to get automatically redirected to davelepka.com instead.......

Be nice, and don't stir the pot please :)
Blues,
Ian
Performance Designs Factory Team

the flutter starts after around 630 rotation up high, when im facing the ground with high g's, as soon as I slow the turn it goes away.

Probably is. I've seen VX's do this a lot. The ZP JVX's as well but not nearly as frequently as the VX (I have never seen an all sail one flutter though).

I have noticed, though, that canopies seem more susceptible to this at high altitudes. What elevation do you jump at?

I have noticed, though, that canopies seem more susceptible to this at high altitudes.

Is that purely a function of canopy terminal velocity?
"The ground does not care who you are. It will always be tougher than the human behind the controls."

~ CanuckInUSA

i jump at 1100 ft. not too high.

i guess it is the wing design issue.
Are 9 cell design proned to have flutter issue more than 7 cell design????

has anyone died or got seriously injured due to tail flutter issue???

Are 9 cell design proned to have flutter issue more than 7 cell design????

Nah, I don't think it's a 9 vs. 7 cell thing. I've seen both do them given certain circumstances. I don't have the appropriate aeronautical/design knowledge to offer anything other than an opinion on it though.

has anyone died or got seriously injured due to tail flutter issue???

No. That said, it's annoying as all hell, and just about drove Loud Dan at the SA 2009 WC to insanity when it sounded like a MAC truck engine brake going off each time he landed.

It is, however, incredibly inefficient to have your wing flapping about like that.

Blues,
Ian

I recently started to fly a VX and this is the type of vibration I feel on my turns (fronts + harness). I don't know if it's normal or not but I noticed some slack on the D lines and that allows them to flap around as you can see on the video (and what I believe is causing this slight vibration). Any thoughts?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sy9BPPT-a64
When in Danger or in doubt run in circles scream and shout.

Probably is. I've seen VX's do this a lot. The ZP JVX's as well but not nearly as frequently as the VX (I have never seen an all sail one flutter though).

I have noticed, though, that canopies seem more susceptible to this at high altitudes. What elevation do you jump at?

Modified VX's with the "Jim's comp lineset" seem to do that more than a stock VX, that I have noticed at least. I don't think there are too many VXs modified like that still getting jumped a whole lot out there, I think most of those pilots have just purchased JVXs.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No. Too loose break lines can cause tail flutter.

Thanks genius. Did you read my entire post, or the post it was referring to? How about my first post on the thread?

The guy claimed tail flutter, and that it was solved by lengthening his steering line by 3 inches. The rest of my post was tyring to find out if it was actual flutter, or the bucking you typically see with short lines.

Quite the contributor, you are.

Dave, it wasn't that flutter. It was the bucking. In the initial double front to first 90 of the dive, while still deep in the fronts.
Sorry for the confusion.

soory for my bad language and understanding, but, can you explain in depth your "Tail flutter"?
is it a "stall-start"?
on some JVX, on hard dive, i heard a caracteristics "Flap-flap-flap-flap-flap..." by the "stabilribs"? or external ribs? not the tail.
the tail stay strong as you do not exaggeratedly hang your rears.
niques tout, chies d'dans...

I have experienced flutter on standard velo line set. I like mine 7inches over standard and never had any issues. However, PD doesn't do custom brake settings and only go by 3" increments so after reline I'm jumping 6" over standard and haven't had any problems. Normal velo brake line is way too short for my liking so I basically disagree that long steering lines will cause fluttering its quite opposite by my experience. BTW I'm not tall nor have long arms either.